House Price Crash Forum

Log Cabin Living

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Hallo all,

Check this out. I want one.

Does anyone in the building trade have any idea of the cost the materials/build cost would be to chuck that up? Bit of a future project, I just want an idea. Ignore land costs for now.

How mint is that?

{sigh}

It's not the cost of a house that's the problem you idiot.... it's the cost of the land it stands on.

The price of bricks and roofing slates hasn't gone up 400% in 10 years. Bricks have gone up LESS than inflation.

LAND has gone up in price.

If you find a way of making a house cheaper to build, the price of land rises to absorbe the extra available money.

HOLA444
{sigh}

It's not the cost of a house that's the problem you idiot.... it's the cost of the land it stands on.

The price of bricks and roofing slates hasn't gone up 400% in 10 years. Bricks have gone up LESS than inflation.

LAND has gone up in price.

If you find a way of making a house cheaper to build, the price of land rises to absorbe the extra available money.

Der, thanks, after 1700+ posts here I hadn't already worked that one out for myself.

The land is already sorted. That is why I said ignore it. Idiot.

HOLA445
Hallo all,

Does anyone in the building trade have any idea of the cost the materials/build cost would be to chuck that up? Bit of a future project, I just want an idea. Ignore land costs for now.

How mint is that?

We have friends who have a log cabin in a land far, far away.

They are a very romantic ideal but, in reality, are noisy, creaky, draughty, ineffecient to heat and require significant maintenence. I would budget 5% of the build cost as the average annual maintenence and inefficiency cost over the next 20 years relative to a "bricks and mortar" house.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Hallo all,

How mint is that?

Do not buy a wooden chalet

Check out where you are living if there is a risk of wood termite infection ( thinking of the Grenoble here in France ) lots of termite problems with wooden chalets

Every five years or so you have to "treat" your wooden chalet or disinfect and or polish the wood but it all depends on the thickness and the quality /type of wood used in the first place

Think about winter heating electric /fuel or gaz

Do not forget that wooden chalets tend to catch fire very fast bit like Guy Fawkes

HOLA448
HOLA449
Hallo all,

How mint is that?

There's a Swedish firm (sorry, name escapes me) which might be a better bet for this climate. Good designs, reasonable prices and well insulated. I think they come with saunas. I bet a bit of Googling would find them.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Hallo all,

How mint is that?

That porch looks ideal for playing 'Duelling banjos' with your Uncle and/or Brother.

HOLA4414
That porch looks ideal for playing 'Duelling banjos' with your Uncle and/or Brother.

Di di ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...

<Pause>

Di di ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...

Someone fetch me some chewin' tobacci and some of that there gulpin' whisky.

Edited by AvidFan

HOLA4415

I've built a few of these in the past, the one in your picture looks like it was built using what are known as four sided logs, where the log is milled square. In my opinion you should look at full-scribed cabins (sometimes called Swedish cope) which use whole logs of about 12 inches diameter hand crafted to fit together precisely. These give much better thermal and stuctural properties. Probably the most best and most experienced builder in the UK is Dan Franklin who is based in Devon, check out his website http://www.woodenways.com/site/html/home.html for more info.

BTW done well they are are warm, solid and no higher maintenance than any other house.

ATB

DH

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

C4's Grand Designs might be more helpful...

Log Cabin

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/grand...-06-10_p_1.html

Timber Frame Kit House

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/grand...-05-19_p_1.html

Woodmans Cottage

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/grand...-06-11_p_1.html

Grand Designs is tolerable Property Pr0n.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Skinty
I've built a few of these in the past, the one in your picture looks like it was built using what are known as four sided logs, where the log is milled square. In my opinion you should look at full-scribed cabins (sometimes called Swedish cope) which use whole logs of about 12 inches diameter hand crafted to fit together precisely. These give much better thermal and stuctural properties. Probably the most best and most experienced builder in the UK is Dan Franklin who is based in Devon, check out his website http://www.woodenways.com/site/html/home.html for more info.

BTW done well they are are warm, solid and no higher maintenance than any other house.

Sounds like the one I looked around in Germany when a friend of the family was looking to buy over there. It was snowing heavily at the time but you wouldn't have known inside. It used proper full round logs, heavily treated, expertly built and it was immensely dense and heavy. It makes the cabin in the OP look like something from a shanty town. We were assured that the wood was too dense to catch fire. Absolutely beautiful building. Rather dark though.

HOLA4420
Hallo all,

How mint is that?

I reckon the superstructure at £350 per metre, foundations, drainage and services 150 per metre, plumbing and elecs 100, windows and doors 80, fees 75, everything else at 245 so total 1000 per metre. £650 if you do lots of stuff yourself. It would look OK in rural isolation but maybe a bit crappy elsewhere. Looks a bit like only the first two little pigs got a look in.

HOLA4421
I reckon the superstructure at £350 per metre, foundations, drainage and services 150 per metre, plumbing and elecs 100, windows and doors 80, fees 75, everything else at 245 so total 1000 per metre. £650 if you do lots of stuff yourself. It would look OK in rural isolation but maybe a bit crappy elsewhere. Looks a bit like only the first two little pigs got a look in.

Cheers. I like cosy little places like this, it would be used mainly for holidays/holiday lets.

HOLA4422

This is the link for one of the wood cabins on grand designs. This is what I want, although the couple made their own design which wasn't quite so swiss chalet in style.

http://www.erlund-house.com/

If my memory serves me correctly they were managing to heat a 4 bed house and provide hot water by using x1 log burner it was so well insulated. Cost of house (excl land) again if memory seves correctly was approx £60,000 - £70,000. Guess it would depend on the exchange rate now which probably isn't in your favour.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Plumbing and electrics for £100, I take it you mean DIY? Windows and doors for £80, let me know where you buy from, thats amazingly cheap.

HOLA4425