House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScaredEitherWay

Menacing Loan Shark Escapes Prison Term

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090805/tuk-me...-t-45dbed5.html

Robert Reynolds was given a 51-week jail sentence, suspended for two years, for harrassment with intent to commit violence.

Debby Wilson of Stanley, County Durham, was terrified by Reynolds for eight years and blames him for causing two strokes and a brain haemorrhage.

When she finally plucked up the courage to call the police, her family had been reduced to poverty while Reynolds, who is unemployed, was living in luxury.

Durham Police found two huge flat screen TVs in Reynolds' house, while Mrs Wilson and her husband were struggling to find pound coins to feed the meter-operated TV they had installed in their sitting room.

It took the police two days to add up everything Mrs Wilson had paid to Reynolds between 2000 and 2008.

They discovered that what had started as a £500 Christmas loan to buy a computer for her children ended with her paying him £800 a month - almost every penny of her benefits and her husband's wages.

Mrs Wilson says Reynolds was friendly to start with.

"We looked on him as a friend and thought 'oh great, he's going to help us buy this computer'."

The initial debt of £500 grew when Mrs Wilson fell behind with her payments - she had already paid several months' worth of repayments at £250 a month - and Reynolds urged her to borrow more so that she could keep up with the payments.

Each time he lent money, the repayments rose until eventually she was owing £800 a month.

When she fell behind once more, he started to menace her, claiming that the money was owed to other people.

Mrs Wilson says she was forced to sell her children's Christmas presents, was threatened with eviction by the council and ended up begging food from neighbours.

PC Natalie Hulse, who listened in to one of Reynolds' phone calls before arresting him, described him as "calm and eerie".

"He said to her 'Hi Debs, have you got the money?'" said PC Hulse.

"Then he told her he wanted £1,600 by the end of the month, £585 by the end of the week and £85 that day - and suggested someone else might get nasty if she didn't pay."

loanshark.jpg

At least one of them was IN prison.

Edit: Oh, it was suspended? Ah, the old userers network comes to the rescue.

post-9973-1249473862_thumb.jpg

loanshark.jpg

At least one of them was IN prison.

Edit: Oh, it was suspended? Ah, the old userers network comes to the rescue.

Exactly. More bread and circuses while the real muggers go free and get decent City jobs (or pension) as their reward.

Bread and circuses. No, it is justice for their victims.

This one has got what he deserved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8185365.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/L...l_Money_Lending

WHAT DO THESE PEOPLE EXPECT???!!!

He dispensed the money from a roll of £20 notes from his black Range Rover, complete with the personalised number plate "B0Y".

These morons would borrow money off the grim reaper if he offered it.

He dispensed the money from a roll of £20 notes from his black Range Rover, complete with the personalised number plate "B0Y".

I blame the media, glossy magazines and TV shows. The case of the nurse who "had to have" a wedding dress so borrowed £300 from a loan shark. Surely if she was in employment she'd be able to borrow from a bank or have a creidt card?

I'd hate to have her administering drugs to me if she's that thick.

Goodwin dispensed imaginary money, made millions and drove a black Merc S600 with blacked out windows.

What's the difference.

goodwincar.jpg

He also owns an obligatory Range Rover and 2 ferraris amongst his collection apparently.

post-9973-1249477655_thumb.jpg

Goodwin dispensed imaginary money, made millions and drove a black Merc S500 with blacked out windows.

What's the difference.

The difference is that the picture was of an S600. Do I win a prize?

The difference is that the picture was of an S600. Do I win a prize?

You do - I've edited it. :P (Sheesh, no pleasing some people)

I still cannot figure out the difference between a loan shark and RBS (or any other bank). Was the loan shark too competitive then? Both use the same business model.