House Price Crash Forum

The Euro Is Steadily Marching Into Britain

dude

HOLA441

How the Euro is creeping into the UK: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8060020.stm

"For anyone wondering what to do with a couple of 20 euro notes stuffed in their sock drawer and no holiday in sight on the Continent, there may be a simple answer - spend them in the UK. From the south coast of England to a Birmingham nightclub and a major high street retailer to Edinburgh's Royal Mile, substantial numbers are saying yes to the euro."

OK, so it's only a trickle, but you can't keep your finger in the gap in the dyke for long. The writing's on the wall -- the pound is doomed!

HOLA442
HOLA443
The writing's on the wall -- the pound is doomed!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA....

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Ain't going to happen.

This topic has been done to death countless times, just check this thread from yesterday as an example

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=121816

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

HOLA444
HOLA445

Blatant Euro ramping by the BBC.

No doubt on instruction from their masters.

"See look - it's great! Most of us are using it anyway! "

The modern equivalent to dropping propaganda leaflets from aeroplanes.

HOLA446
Guest theboltonfury
Blatant Euro ramping by the BBC.

No doubt on instruction from their masters.

"See look - it's great! Most of us are using it anyway! "

The modern equivalent to dropping propaganda leaflets from aeroplanes.

Not really news is it. Many places have been accpeting it for years. You just have to ask.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The exchange rates they are offerring on Euros seem incredibly good to me at 1 Euro = 1 Pound.

At that rate you may as well go swap your pounds for Euros and spend them instead.

I don't know why people get so attached to a currency. The pound is just a means of exchange. I couldn't care which currency the UK uses as long as it retains its value and is not based on imaginary wealth.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Not really news is it. Many places have been accpeting it for years. You just have to ask.

Well it's front page of our national taxpayer funded news service so presumably it is news.

Or there's a critical EU vote coming up soon somewhere and it's part of the pro-EU lobbying.

You decide.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Cobblers - this is a non story.

Thirty years ago, as indeed now, the $US was widely accepted by businesses in London (and indeed anywhere that had many overseas visitors). Money is money in any language. I´ll guarantee that even the most eurosceptic business people will accept payment in euros if it means more business.

HOLA4416
Guest happy?

Thirty years ago, as indeed now, the $US was widely accepted by businesses in London (and indeed anywhere that had many overseas visitors). Money is money in any language. I´ll guarantee that even the most eurosceptic business people will accept payment in euros if it means more business.

Spot on.

Everytime a large US Carrier visits Portsmouth every pub in town chalks-up an exchange rate for $ to £ - done so for the last thirty years to my knowledge. Money is money is money.

HOLA4417
How the Euro is creeping into the UK: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8060020.stm

"For anyone wondering what to do with a couple of 20 euro notes stuffed in their sock drawer and no holiday in sight on the Continent, there may be a simple answer - spend them in the UK. From the south coast of England to a Birmingham nightclub and a major high street retailer to Edinburgh's Royal Mile, substantial numbers are saying yes to the euro."

OK, so it's only a trickle, but you can't keep your finger in the gap in the dyke for long. The writing's on the wall -- the pound is doomed!

I find GBP is quite handy for staying out of prison. ;)

HOLA4418
The exchange rates they are offerring on Euros seem incredibly good to me at 1 Euro = 1 Pound.

At that rate you may as well go swap your pounds for Euros and spend them instead.

A pound will buy you about 1.10 euros at a high street bank or airport at the moment, and so this strikes me as anything but a good deal.

As others have pointed out, many retail outlets accept multiple currencies, the ones in airports being widespread examples. But if you pay in anything other than the local currency in such places, expect to pay over the odds for currency conversion.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Non-story perhaps, but it keeps the Euro in people's mind, and while there my be organisations handling the dollar in the same way, that is not the point. We are never likely to adopt the dollar (although this country is sinking to the low level of US society by the day) no one can say we won't adopt the Euro one day.

So these drip, drip, [d]rip stories just help to build acceptance for the Euro. It may well be, as has been said many times on this site, that people don't like Europe, but money is indeed money and if the Euro is the most appropriate money then so be it. There is nothing special about GBP, other than a symbol of something historic, and we wouldn't want go back to LSD (sorry, £,s and p) now would we (240 pence in the pound and all that).

It may ultimately be ironic that the things that we say keeps this country apart from Europe -- a proportionately very large financial sector and an absolutely insane obsession with house prices -- may be our very undoing. With so much debt now sloshing around and with our most important trading partner by far being the EU (we trade at least twice as much as with the US) like it or not we are firmly tethered to the EU.

When we start to see the end of this recession, in about three or four years time, and our demand for all things European (BMWs, French houses, Italian skiing holidays) roars back into the psyche, then the sense of a single currency may well come back on the agenda.

It is my view that the sooner we discard this notion that we are somehow still a 'great' Britain, and accept that our role in the world is tied completely with Europe, then we will be able to improve our society. For a start we could get rid of the £20B Trident bill, or whatever it is, for a start and spend that on society.

HOLA4421
It may ultimately be ironic that the things that we say keeps this country apart from Europe -- a proportionately very large financial sector and an absolutely insane obsession with house prices -- may be our very undoing. With so much debt now sloshing around and with our most important trading partner by far being the EU (we trade at least twice as much as with the US) like it or not we are firmly tethered to the EU.

When we start to see the end of this recession, in about three or four years time, and our demand for all things European (BMWs, French houses, Italian skiing holidays) roars back into the psyche, then the sense of a single currency may well come back on the agenda.

It is my view that the sooner we discard this notion that we are somehow still a 'great' Britain, and accept that our role in the world is tied completely with Europe, then we will be able to improve our society. For a start we could get rid of the £20B Trident bill, or whatever it is, for a start and spend that on society.

Oddly, enough, since membership of the EU, the UK has become a lot less European. I remember as a kid in the 70's there would be lots of European TV programmes (Singing Ringing Tree, Flashing Blade etc.) and lots of European pop music in the charts. More children learnt European languages, and were taught more about European history etc.

I tend to suspect that exposure to the EU's dreary nannying bureaucracy is part of what has killed the enthusiasm for Europe that used to exist in this country.

HOLA4422
A pound will buy you about 1.10 euros at a high street bank or airport at the moment, and so this strikes me as anything but a good deal.

As others have pointed out, many retail outlets accept multiple currencies, the ones in airports being widespread examples. But if you pay in anything other than the local currency in such places, expect to pay over the odds for currency conversion.

Its an excellent deal! Sheesh, use your head.

Take 1 pound to a money changer and get 1.10 euros. Go to the shops mentioned in the article and spend 1 euro to buy an item only costing 1 pound. Keep the 10 cents change.

When you allow shoppers to buy a £10 article for only 10 euros, then its an amazing deal for the consumer.

HOLA4423
Its an excellent deal! Sheesh, use your head.

Take 1 pound to a money changer and get 1.10 euros. Go to the shops mentioned in the article and spend 1 euro to buy an item only costing 1 pound. Keep the 10 cents change.

When you allow shoppers to buy a £10 article for only 10 euros, then its an amazing deal for the consumer.

Can you provide an actual example of a shop which offers the same price in Euro and £ for the same article please?

The article is very vague.

I bet that those few shops who actually offer that type of deal bumped up their prices by at leat 20% in £ terms, in order to attract Euro tourists who don't know any better :lol:

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

HOLA4424
Can you provide an actual example of a shop which offers the same price in Euro and £ for the same article please?

The article is very vague.

I bet that those few shops who actually offer that type of deal bumped up their prices by at leat 20% in £ terms, in order to attract Euro tourists who don't know any better :lol:

Sure, here are some excerpts from the article:

"Dunster, a medieval village in Exmoor, lays claim to being the first place in Britain to accept euros on a par with the pound - not a bad deal with the exchange rate hovering around 85p to a euro."

"Dunster, Somerset: Made a name for itself with a 1 Euro=£1 rate"

"Some shops have been offering a straight euro-for-pound exchange rate in towns like Newry and Enniskillen."

HOLA4425