House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
richcrashman

Property Ladder Errors (ofcom Taking A Look)

Hi all,

After a week i've not heard back from C4 so i thought i'd ask OFCOM if they were interested in what we've turned up over the last few weeks. Yes they are and have asked me to email in detailing the problem and supporting evidence.

I'm pretty busy today to go all through the property ladders thread. Could you give me the main points upto date on the sausage factory. I'm pretty sure some new planning details turned up etc.

I used these when i contacted C4 last week

Links to information

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...stemkey=9531130

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...stemkey=9531465

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...stemkey=9532512

also

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...nts/14088_1.pdf

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...nts/45918_1.pdf

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...ents/6010_1.pdf

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/p...nts/47280_1.pdf

Do these just about cover it or are there any that need adding?

Was the cottage quoted as selling at 235k last night?

I'll try and get it all away at lunch.

Was the cottage quoted as selling at 235k last night?

I'll try and get it all away at lunch.

According to nethouseprices and houseprices.co.uk it sold for £200k. I did want to review the "property snakes" thread and create the real story in blog form (which would be easier to follow) but like you I don't really have the time.

Yeah you missed out the bit where you get a life.

Why? These programmes are presented as factual yet East Enders has more believable characters and plot lines!

C4 have been done before for faking programmes.

Quite enjoying life trying to get a few "true" factual programs on TV.

It's a shame more people don't complain about the distorted garbage we are presented with as fact.

Whats so bad about having the truth on TV????

But i guess it's more case of what you want to believe! :lol:

Quite enjoying life trying to get a few "true" factual programs on TV.

It's a shame more people don't complain about the distorted garbage we are presented with as fact.

Whats so bad about having the truth on TV????

But i guess it's more case of what you want to believe! :lol:

Thinking of sending her a direct message on twitter!

d sarahbeeny more distorted property ramping on C4 last night. Ofcom alerted. Can you comment? http://******/o568X

this has all the hallmarks of that epic thread about the devon house price raffle.fraud is fraud.

Fraud or not they got away with it, didn't they.

House up for auction at £690K, yet the thing was marketed as win a Million pound house. Don't see how that can be a simple sales puff. Still they stuck two fingers up and trousered the cash.

After no reply from C4 for a week i resent the complaint this morning and said i had passed the information to Ofcom. They managed to reply in a couple of hours this time.

"Dear Mr ............,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS. As you have indicated that you have gone to Ofcom with your complaint, we don't feel it appropriate to comment directly. We will of course fully cooperate with any complaint directed to us by Ofcom.

Kind regards,

........ ............

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries"

Ross on Wye Cottage / Gareth Milford aka MILF :

Channel 4 Stats:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/prope...-06-25_p_3.html

Final Breakdown

Bought for: £245,000

Ground work and demolition: £50,000

Sold for: £335,000

TOTAL PROFIT: £40,000

Planning application for "Lily Cottage HR9 577' by Mr. Gareth Milford:

http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/gis/planDe...DCSE2009/0183/V

Application type: CLOPD

Public Consultation Period: Not available

Date valid: 03-02-2009

Date registered: 04-02-2009

Target date: 31-03-2009

Applicant: Mr Gareth Milford

Parish: Hope Mansell

Ward: Penyard

--

Sales Data for Lily Cottage HR9 5TT

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...gToSearch=21990

Lily Cottage Hope Mansell,

Ross-on-wye,

Herefordshire,

HR9 5TT £200,000

Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 28-Mar-2008

Map (HR9 5TT)

---

It just doesn't seem to fit the with CH4 numbers.

Sarah first revisits MILF in April 2008 when he has bought the property so it would seem the £200k would be his purchase price, but then why would CH4 say it cost him £245k?

There isn't a second sale listed. Either it hasn't come through from the landregistry yet or it was a repossession sale?

Or perhaps MILF had another Ross-on-wye project on at the same time or Lily Cottage is his home.

--

Don't think you can draw a definite conclusion from this one.

---

On the Brighton Penthouse IRRC the Sarah Beeny voice over stated that the owner had received an offer of £600k which *would* make a profit of XYZ. There was no claim that the offer was even accepted so no sale.

Guest X-QUORK

Good for you for trying to make a difference, but I'm afraid Ofcom are a toothless tiger. For example just yesterday, Krusty got away with presenting a load of duff stats about Middlesborough being the worst place to live (possibly true, but besides the point). Ofcom ruled that because the program was an "entertainment" program, it has a lower bar set for factual evidence, against say a documentary. This point is key and it would no doubt apply to PS&L if you complain.

Krusty Ofcom ruling - Telegraph

Good for you for trying to make a difference, but I'm afraid Ofcom are a toothless tiger. For example just yesterday, Krusty got away with presenting a load of duff stats about Middlesborough being the worst place to live (possibly true, but besides the point). Ofcom ruled that because the program was an "entertainment" program, it has a lower bar set for factual evidence, against say a documentary. This point is key and it would no doubt apply to PS&L if you complain.

Krusty Ofcom ruling - Telegraph

Phone in contests are also "entertainment" but they got done for faking them. Ant and Decs shows were "entertainment" (allegedly).

Krusties Middlesborough comment I would think was a `matter of opinion`, but in Property Snakes the facts are adjusted, manipulated and massaged into a propaganda/advertising set piece.

In fact Beeny's programme is more misleading than the notorious editing of the scene showing the Queen apparently walking out off a photo shoot in a huff.

Yeah you missed out the bit where you get a life.

310 posts in a month on a forum where you disagree with the vast majority

No grounds to tell someone to get a life

Why? These programmes are presented as factual yet East Enders has more believable characters and plot lines!

C4 have been done before for faking programmes.

IF they are too good/successful to be true - then they are probably liars/scammers!

How many Property magnates have gone down,

multi-billion Investment scammers,

Spanish non-houses/flats built on national trust land banks - such as Iceland(offering "un-believable" interest rates - that caught out 10's of 1,000's)

Phill the phuck-up "property finder" - who's company dies as soon as the boom finishes!

Liar Loans + all the rest(inc you Anthea!)

How about everyone email in a complaint to channel 4 on all issues in the various episodes?

Why are the British so accepting of poor service, quality, etc, etc.

If more people "did" rather than just "complaining" perhaps we may have a better society.

How about everyone email in a complaint to channel 4 on all issues in the various episodes?

Why are the British so accepting of poor service, quality, etc, etc.

If more people "did" rather than just "complaining" perhaps we may have a better society.

If all the money and effort that goes into residential property speculation went into starting other new businesses perhaps we'd have a more prosperous society

:unsure::huh::blink::o:lol::lol::lol:

After no reply from C4 for a week i resent the complaint this morning and said i had passed the information to Ofcom. They managed to reply in a couple of hours this time.

"Dear Mr ............,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS. As you have indicated that you have gone to Ofcom with your complaint, we don't feel it appropriate to comment directly. We will of course fully cooperate with any complaint directed to us by Ofcom.

Kind regards,

........ ............

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries"

It sounds like they know they are in the shit and therefore don't want to comment. Even more important then that the facts are straight.

I think it's important for them to know that some of these "developers" all have ties to channel 4. So, no vested interests there then. Such as the produccer, and that minger woman.

More general gripes:

a valuation by an estate agent does not constitute a profit. Even though they repeatedly proclaim it as one

They never include finance costs as part of the budget. Hmm.

I don't really think I can help much.

Edited by moshmonsta

I'm going to go through the thread again now i'm home. Some one i think had put it all onto a timeline. I just need to check i got the main points covered in the links i provide.

I notice last nights episode is still not on demand online.

I just checked the episode from the 21/7/09, the Oast house. Both properties have been editied.

Oast house at £450,000 spend

and the large house (in Bristol?) currently being marketed for £1500 a month.

New Sarah Beeny voice over on it to. I bet i got her an extra days pay for that !!

Edited by richcrashman

I'm going to go through the thread again now i'm home. Some one i think had put it all onto a timeline. I just need to check i got the main points covered in the links i provide.

I notice last nights episode is still not on demand online.

Don't forget to show us your letter!

quite,when you look at the BBC's morning schedule,anyone who claims msileading ramping has no impact is delusional imo

We understand that TV can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

We shouldn't bemoan this, we should see how we can take advantage of it.

Never give a sucker an even break!