House Price Crash Forum

Female Work Colleagues

Pick It Down

HOLA441

The bloke working next to me was off making tea for a bunch of us and his phone kept ringing so I had to silence it. While doing so I saw a text message.

It was from a female colleague of ours complaining about my work performance and that of two other members of our team. I had the previous week had my appraisal and my manager had said I was in the top third of the team in terms of performance. Also, the lady who sent the text message tends to arrive late and make several errors which need clearing up afterwards. So quite bizarre to say the least, especially since I had previously considered this colleague a friend, had drinks out, etc.

So what's going on here? Has she figured out who is likely for a promotion (ie the bloke she sent the text message to), and is trying to get him "onside" by complaining about other colleagues to him? Presumably the text message was not an isolated complaint.

Or is this scheming just the perils of inviting women into the office?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest X-QUORK

Regardless of her gender, she's a scheming twunt who needs taking down a peg or two. Blokes are not beyond this sort of behaviour either sadly.

HOLA443
The bloke working next to me was off making tea for a bunch of us and his phone kept ringing so I had to silence it. While doing so I saw a text message.

It was from a female colleague of ours complaining about my work performance and that of two other members of our team. I had the previous week had my appraisal and my manager had said I was in the top third of the team in terms of performance. Also, the lady who sent the text message tends to arrive late and make several errors which need clearing up afterwards. So quite bizarre to say the least, especially since I had previously considered this colleague a friend, had drinks out, etc.

So what's going on here? Has she figured out who is likely for a promotion (ie the bloke she sent the text message to), and is trying to get him "onside" by complaining about other colleagues to him? Presumably the text message was not an isolated complaint.

Office politics. Lovely, how I miss it.

Have her assassinated, there are plenty of Kosovars around who will enjoy doing the job. Try your local carwash for contacts.

HOLA444

Difficult, as officially you're not supposed to have seen the message. However, there's nothing to stop you from tipping off the other two and putting in a pre-emptive strike against her yourselves. In that scenario, if it goes any further then at least you're starting from a 'six of one and half a dozen of the other' position.

Unless, of course, she's widely acknowledged to be an ineffective troublemaker, in which case just ignore it. But if she's a politically clever troublemaker, defensive action is needed.

HOLA445
Guest theboltonfury

Confront her. She'll be mortified and she'll pipe down for the next 30 years.

HOLA446

+1 :lol:

Tell her rumours spread that shes been bad mouthing people and you are "keeping your eye on her". She'll wonder who else knows of her actions.

HOLA447
Guest skullingtonjoe

Get The 48 Laws of Power - it`s a great book and will give you a few pointers into some modern-day Machiavellianism!

A friend of mine once observed that any job that needs doing will require: 50% time spent on the work in hand and 50% politics.

HOLA448

Anyone half decent will see right through her, so I reckon you should be OK to ignore. Are your other workmates cool? I don't see that text message as very clever manipulation at all.

I love the idea of confronting her, but what if she escalates? She won't win through in the end but could be months of hassle.

My current MD sits down and gossips about his staff every day, he has slagged off everyone to me, I have stopped talking to him as a result of it. He spends his day manipulating and poisoning his staff of 6, it really is pathetic. It has taken me a very long time to get through to my workmates what he is doing, and that he berates us all equally. It is lies and slander. You really shouldn't get this from the MD, but there you go. He is destoying his own company, the staff all hate him, productivity, motivation and morale are through the floor. What is the point, the benefit to him of this behaviour?

This man has held a staff meeting with all but one person present, and proceeded to slag him off and tell us he was going to sack him? My colleagues still didn't see it then? If someone does it to you, you can be sure they are doing it to everyone else.

Previously they were thinking he only had it in for me, the look on their faces when they finally realised...

HOLA449
Guest portwinestain

Thing is though, you're officially good at your job, whereas she sounds a bit tardy.

She's projecting for some reason. A possible way of deflecting attention from herself.

Shrug it off and forget about it.

Its got nowt to do with gender though. I've come across some incredibly bitchy heterosexual men in my time.

HOLA4410

This is where being a self-employed white van man comes into its own - no office politics.

Just loads of "Sorry luv, am snowed under at the moment. Can make it a week next Tuesday" and "Sorry I am late luv, any chance of a cuppa" and "Sorry luv, I only take cash - no cheques" and "Any chance of another cuppa luv" and "So your husband left you 6 months ago luv"

:-)

I am getting more than a tad fed up with these women bashing threads on here. BOTH men and women can be nutjobs but in their own way. You find them in all walks of life, in the workplace and God help you if you marry one.

The best way to be 'nasty' to this woman, if that the route you wish to go down, is to be publicly very nice to this woman every hour of every day. Keep asking her for cups of tea, does she need anything, does she want you to pick up a sarnie for her. Make it obvious so that all your colleagues hear you - that way, when she rubbishes you she will look malicious and stupid.

Heck, if her birthday is coming up be the one to organise the card and even a cake. In fact, spending a tenner on a cake and some candles and letting people know you are doing this will be one of the best things you can do.

HOLA4411
Thing is though, you're officially good at your job, whereas she sounds a bit tardy.

She's projecting for some reason. A possible way of deflecting attention from herself.

Shrug it off and forget about it.

Its got nowt to do with gender though. I've come across some incredibly bitchy heterosexual men in my time.

Everyone should learn about projection - dangerous thing but very revealing.

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK
Everyone should learn about projection - dangerous thing but very revealing.

Indeed, many a time I burned my hand on that bulb in the overhead.

HOLA4413

If someones phone rings, we leave it. Regardless of how annoying it might be. It's not anyones place to turn it on silent. Also it's your own fault for reading the text message. Don't tarnish all women with the same brush.

HOLA4414
Guest theboltonfury
If someones phone rings, we leave it. Regardless of how annoying it might be. It's not anyones pleace to turn it on silent. Also it's your own fault for reading the text message.

That's rubbish.

So if someone is at lunch and has the Dizzee Rascal ring tone on volume 10 ringing over and over, you can't touch it?

If it's a company phone, you can do what you like with it.

Thank the Lord I work in my own house and don't have to put up with any of this shit anymore.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest DisposableHeroes
That's an advantage of doing manual work cf. office work for a living: if anyone's got a problem with you, they tell you to your face. Or just hit you.

Arrrhhh, the good old days. For nostalgia, watch the re-runs of the sweeney.

"We're The Sweeney son, and we haven't had any DINNER".

HOLA4418
That's rubbish.

So if someone is at lunch and has the Dizzee Rascal ring tone on volume 10 ringing over and over, you can't touch it?

If it's a company phone, you can do what you like with it.

Thank the Lord I work in my own house and don't have to put up with any of this shit anymore.

We've had some silly ring tones here, and yes we leave it the hell alone. Company or personal mobile. Anyway, that doesn't expalin how he managed to read the whole text message. It's really supid of the girl texting her colleague anyway.

HOLA4419
Guest X-QUORK
If someones phone rings, we leave it. Regardless of how annoying it might be. It's not anyones place to turn it on silent.

Yes it bloody is! They are called mobile phones for a reason.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest theboltonfury
We've had some silly ring tones here, and yes we leave it the hell alone. Company or personal mobile. Anyway, that doesn't expalin how he managed to read the whole text message. It's really supid of the girl texting her colleague anyway.

I used to be someone of a very banal, minor importance in a company and issued my team with a mobile each. This sort of thing happened from time to time, and as a result they would lose their phone for a 48 hour period, which inevitably they were using to feed their personal lives anyway, at my expense.

Although, I take your point to read a text don't you normally have to press a couple of buttons.

HOLA4422

She's a woman - what do you expect?

Women (well, most of them with a few exceptions) are vindictive and nasty by nature and often will go to great lengths to screw people over. The other day we had Harriett Harman spouting off that women in charge of banks and in government wouldn't have let the current financial crisis happen. Balls! Okay, banks run by blokes haven't been the best but when men hang people out to dry it's purely in the name of profit. Banks and governments run by women would be unbelievably ruthless and would end up carrying out far worse atrocities than those run largely by men. Men usually let things pass over whereas women tend to hold grudges.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived