House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cinzano Bianco

John Bercow Spends £20,000 On Refurbishments

WTF are these people on?

Link

John Bercow, the new House of Commons Speaker, has ordered a £20,000 refurbishment of his grace-and-favour residence at the Palace of Westminster.

Many of the alterations are to make the Speaker’s House safe for his three young children, but other items include more than £7,000 for a new sofa and cushions for a window seat.

Mr Bercow, the Conservative MP for Buckingham, vowed in June when he was appointed Speaker that he would forgo the MPs’ second home allowance, worth £24,000 a year, as a gesture towards restoring public trust in a parliamentary system tarnished by revelations of extravagant claims.

Mr Bercow’s predecessor — Michael Martin, who became the first Speaker to be forced from office in more than 300 years for his handling of the parliamentary expenses scandal — had already spent more than £700,000 doing up the property between 2000 and early last year. Mr Martin also spent £992,000 on the garden and improved security.

Details of Mr Bercow’s claims for renovations, redecoration and furnishings are contained in a confidential document seen by The Daily Telegraph.

It reveals that one of the two studies will become a playroom for Mr Bercow’s three young children, with a £1,087 bill for redecorations.

A further £3,600 has been spent on fitting locks to the windows and having workmen check that access ducts in the wall panelling are lockable or childproof. A further £3,880 has been spent on planters on the terrace to make it safer for the children.

The drawing room will get a new sofa and cushions for the window seat, costing £7,524.30.

The kitchen will be kitted out with a large new clock at £80, a noticeboard and blackboard costing £86.73, a £47.88 hob guard for the cooker and a high-level pulley clothes airer.

Altogether the work will cost £20,659.36, with another £20,000 reportedly earmarked to cover general maintenance.

edit to add

Edited by the.ciscokid

It said on Sky News that the reason he had to spend so much was that his kids will be moving into the house. I wouldn't spend £7.5k on a sofa if I had kids.

The previous speakers had already spent fortunes on that pad.

Also remember Blair's Lord Chancellor, Derry Irvine's "wallpapergate."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/politics/61665.stm

TBF, 20 grand looks like chickenfeed compared to that :P

It said on Sky News that the reason he had to spend so much was that his kids will be moving into the house. I wouldn't spend £7.5k on a sofa if I had kids.

What about if it wasn't your money? ;)

It does make me pretty angry when I look at the deductions on my payslip every month... and I am trying to save for a deposit.

That's pretty cheap for making changes to a Grade 1 Listed building. A single window could easily cost 15k

Why are we paying anything. He shoudl just could himself lucky he has free accomadation that the rest of us have to pay for. We should stop all MPs expenses immediately!

Why are we paying anything.

Because we are the landlord.

We should stop all MPs expenses immediately!

Don't talk rubbish. You only want millionaires able to be MPs?

I don't know what it is but John-boy reminds me of Del-boy--a little man with a lot of "This time next year I will be a multi-millionaire" smiles that you simply cannot trust. A sort of political spiv that is highly representative and symbolic of the instituion that the Brown decade of greed has created. Worse he had the support of New Labour which must have a sinister twist to it.

Because we are the landlord.

Don't talk rubbish. You only want millionaires able to be MPs?

MPs claim tax free for living expenses that the public has to pay for itself. They are well paid for a relatively short working year. Why should we keep re-imbursing threm for costs the rest have to pay. This is free accomadation why are we paying expenses for changes to suit Bercows life style. No one pays these for me. I repeat stop all MPs expenses except necessary travel and overnight stays at reseanably priced hotels where it is unavoidable. Pay for everything else like the rest of us.

WTF are these people on?

TBF Michael Martin managed to spend £1.7m over 8 years so £20,000 sort of pales into insignificance.

I'm sure JB is a dab hand with a paintbrush and screwdriver but given that it's a grade 1 listed building that isn't really going to do.

TBF Michael Martin managed to spend £1.7m over 8 years so £20,000 sort of pales into insignificance.

I'm sure JB is a dab hand with a paintbrush and screwdriver but given that it's a grade 1 listed building that isn't really going to do.

Sorry I'm lost - we have to pay for repairs to this building..why?

Maybe I'm just a stupid uncultured chav, but I would struggle to pend £7K on a sofa. FFS.

Actually, can we have nice comfy £7K sofas at the local job centre please?

Edited by Tonkers

Sorry I'm lost - we have to pay for repairs to this building..why?

Because if we don't it will fall down?