House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Noodle

Fundamental Shift In Us Car Buying

Toyota Prius in the top 4 New Cars! :blink:

Sadly in my part of Essex the huge 4x4 driven by orange women is still de rigeur which makes cyclists an endangered species, but soon we will no longer be able to laugh at americans for their absurd gas guzzlers.

Cool.

Wonder how long it will take the bling-head RR Sport drivers to latch onto this trend? Or is the ego/bully/inadequacy factor going to predominate to the bitter end?

Why do their Focus models look better than ours? Brit cars always seem to get short-changed somehow.

TFH

Guest Skinty

Sadly in my part of Essex the huge 4x4 driven by orange women is still de rigeur which makes cyclists an endangered species, but soon we will no longer be able to laugh at americans for their absurd gas guzzlers.

I always thought that a campaign of targetting whole streets and throwing an egg at the back window would be effective. It gets in the news. Doesn't damage the cars. Tells the owner that their car is not popular and when they see their car in the morning, stressed, sleepy and on schedule to get to work, they'll have to wash off an egg from their back window as they need the vision.

Guest Parry aka GOD
I always thought that a campaign of targetting whole streets and throwing an egg at the back window would be effective. It gets in the news. Doesn't damage the cars. Tells the owner that their car is not popular and when they see their car in the morning, stressed, sleepy and on schedule to get to work, they'll have to wash off an egg from their back window as they need the vision.

It's up to people what they drive, (yes I know Noel). But bricking someone's 2CV from your Range Rover is a bit anti-social, Skinty.

Amen to that brother. :lol:

Indeed. I am but a stone's throw from you and they have scuppered my plans to go cycling more. They are consistently doing something else when driving; it's almost like it's another part of being 'bling.' Choose from the following activities to build up your mental picture: phone calls, texting, playing with "Posh Spice" sunglasses, having involved conversations which seem to necessitate them very frequently turning round to face their passengers or plain speeding and dangerous driving.

pamela%20dog%20range%20rover%20malibu%203-15.jpg

Ok this picture is in America, but this is typical of the second wife/shag the secretary type women who become the orange yummy mummies that drive these vehicles around my way.

When I first moved to my town I planned on using the country roads expecting them to be like where I grew up in Lincolnshire, but it was clearly a different ball game; within twenty minutes I had been near missed 3 times by 4x4's where the driver either was happy to come within 10cm at 50mph or they weren't competent at judging their vehicle's distances and width.

TFH

Guest Parry aka GOD

Indeed. I am but a stone's throw from you and they have scuppered my plans to go cycling more. They are consistently doing something else when driving; it's almost like it's another part of being 'bling.' Choose from the following activities to build up your mental picture: phone calls, texting, playing with "Posh Spice" sunglasses, having involved conversations which seem to necessitate them very frequently turning round to face their passengers or plain speeding and dangerous driving.

pamela%20dog%20range%20rover%20malibu%203-15.jpg

Ok this picture is in America, but this is typical of the second wife/shag the secretary type women who become the orange yummy mummies that drive these vehicles around my way.

When I first moved to my town I planned on using the country roads expecting them to be like where I grew up in Lincolnshire, but it was clearly a different ball game; within twenty minutes I had been near missed 3 times by 4x4's where the driver either was happy to come within 10cm at 50mph or they weren't competent at judging their vehicle's distances and width.

TFH

Looks like she's got a heavy right foot.

TFH

Oh country roads are even more lethal. I used to live in rural Worcestershire. I almost gave up cycling altogethor there. London is much safer in comparison, despite the distracted 4x4 driver issues!

I lived in Essex for a while and it was great; cheap-ish housing with decent pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes (don't let the secret out to all these Surrey/Berkshire types; they may give up sneering and move in and ruin the place) but the one thing that spoiled it was that these damned things are EVERYWHERE there. Had to give up riding my bike too.

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:

1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:

1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt

That worked then.

Job creation scheme for Nippon.

That worked then.

Job creation scheme for Nippon.

Don't the Japs have US factories though? Even the EU used to insist on local assembly before they capitulated.

Yes

That's good then. Same unions, pay and conditions as Ford? The table gives quite a stark contrast between the fall of the Ford Explorer and the rise of the Japanese car - whoever makes them. Bit suprised the avge. MPG only goes up by 9 though. Seems like a lot of additional debt for an extra 9mpg. Although they say 9mpg is a 61% increase.

Oh country roads are even more lethal. I used to live in rural Worcestershire. I almost gave up cycling altogethor there. London is much safer in comparison, despite the distracted 4x4 driver issues!

I cycle every day in central London and very rarely encounter any problems (if I do its usually with other cyclists). However, as soon as I get out beyond zone 3, the orange range rover brigade appear and scare the life out of me. One thing they consistently fail to understand is the concept of the 'pinch point' at traffic islands and they are also incapable of keeping a uniform distance from the kerb when the road turns to the left - it's like they don't understand how their steering wheel works!

There does not have to be contact to make a reportable road accident. 'if owing to the presence of a vehicle on a road, an accident occurs etc etc'

Passengers who fall over on a bus are a 'road accident'

Seems to me that these huge 4by 4s must have a push a lot of air aside, enough to knock a cyclist over.

Hmm, an astute cyclist could make an easy living.

That's good then. Same unions, pay and conditions as Ford?

Nope, but then some of the US brands are manufactured in Canada and Mexico, so as always the Automotives home nation does not determine were the Vehicle is manufactured, or the union/pay conditions.

It's quite possible for a Ford vehicle to be manufactured in Canada, from components sourced in China, whilst a Japanese vehicle is manufactured in the US, with components sourced from the US. It's also quite possible for a US worker in a Japanese plant in the US to have better pay and conditions than a Mexican worker in a US plant in Mexico.

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:

1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

Why do the Yanks have this bizarre idea that the same car models made in different years are in fact completely different cars?

That list should be:

1. Ford Explorer

2. Jeep Grand Cherokee

3. Jeep Cherokee

4. Ford Windstar

5. Dodge Caravan

Anyway, I'll only believe they've truly mended their ways when they stop building suburbs 40 miles out from the nearest town centre.

Oh good, now oil will last an extra six months.

Oh, wait. Actually it takes more energy to build a car than it uses during its entire life. Oh well, at least we've found another way to spunk taxpayers money on obsolete companies.

Why not give every one a god damn $4500 tax rebate if theyre so hellbent on being fiscally irresponsible.

I lived in Essex for a while and it was great; cheap-ish housing with decent pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes (don't let the secret out to all these Surrey/Berkshire types; they may give up sneering and move in and ruin the place) but the one thing that spoiled it was that these damned things are EVERYWHERE there. Had to give up riding my bike too.

Do you have a heart attack when you see a bus or a lorry?

SUVs arent *that* big!

Nope, but then some of the US brands are manufactured in Canada and Mexico, so as always the Automotives home nation does not determine were the Vehicle is manufactured, or the union/pay conditions.

It's quite possible for a Ford vehicle to be manufactured in Canada, from components sourced in China, whilst a Japanese vehicle is manufactured in the US, with components sourced from the US. It's also quite possible for a US worker in a Japanese plant in the US to have better pay and conditions than a Mexican worker in a US plant in Mexico.

most of the Japanese (and European I think) manufacturers with US plants will not accept union labour. For a damned good reason.

That list is obviously full of SUVs (and the odd people carrier), because that's what were among the top sellers back then. And they are obviously buying smaller cars, because that's what's reflected the world over - the cash represents a much larger percentage of the price of the smaller cars. I'd also surmise (though I don't know) that because all the SUVs are classed as light trucks (to get round emissions laws and average mpg legislation) that the cash for clunkers may not be available on them....

edit to add - I see the Escape is on there, but that might have low enough emissions and/or economy to show as a car, not a light truck....

Do you have a heart attack when you see a bus or a lorry?

SUVs arent *that* big!

Bus's are a pain, especially overlong bendy bus's however the drivers are less distracted (not fiddling with sun glasses, texting, applying makeup, typing on laptops and so on).

Traffic would also be much smoother if the distance between bus stops were increased. I followed a 277 the other day to Highbury and Islington and I was constantly being overtaken by it, and then I'd over take the thing at the next bus stop.

In London there seems to be a bus stop every 2 feet. ;)

Guest Parry aka GOD
most of the Japanese (and European I think) manufacturers with US plants will not accept union labour. For a damned good reason.

That list is obviously full of SUVs (and the odd people carrier), because that's what were among the top sellers back then. And they are obviously buying smaller cars, because that's what's reflected the world over - the cash represents a much larger percentage of the price of the smaller cars. I'd also surmise (though I don't know) that because all the SUVs are classed as light trucks (to get round emissions laws and average mpg legislation) that the cash for clunkers may not be available on them....

edit to add - I see the Escape is on there, but that might have low enough emissions and/or economy to show as a car, not a light truck....

Yes. My uncle in LA has a 1996 Explorer with 300k on it. Serviced it once has he. :lol:

Surprised the Chrysler Voyager isn't on the list of dead motors, as that was the most popular I think.

Yes. My uncle in LA has a 1996 Explorer with 300k on it. Serviced it once has he. :lol:

Surprised the Chrysler Voyager isn't on the list of dead motors, as that was the most popular I think.

the Yanks make some shockingly bad 'perceived quality' cars, but overall, the mechanical reliability is great - they will often run on zero coolant and don't need any real servicing for 100K - though I think if I had a 90's Explorer, I'd like to make sure my tyres weren't Firestone !

The Explorer is our Focus, almost ubiquitous. but at 15-18mpg it's just not sensible. If they can sort out the emissions nonsense, they could keep at least their midsize SUVs if they ran on diesel.... just get rid of rubbish like the Excursion....