House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wannabebear

Couples With Life On Hold?

Just out of interest, how many couples are there on here that are renting (or staying with parents) and waiting to buy a house?

Does your rental situation put you off having children?

In our situation we just did it anyway. I don't see why we should wait when either of use are getting any younger. But i do feel bad inside of my kids that we dont own a home. I always have a slight sense of shame when I tell people I am renting still. I know its stupid, but its just how I feel.

I wonder what the social consequences of long term nation wide property investment will be?

But i do feel bad inside of my kids that we dont own a home. I always have a slight sense of shame .....
I can see why you need your own place if you are up to that sort of thing. The risk of your parents walking in on you must really put you off your stroke .... :)

You can't really raise multiple children in a cramped flat, if you're renting a house then I don't see what the problem is. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have much choice myself...

Guest X-QUORK
I can see why you need your own place if you are up to that sort of thing. The risk of your parents walking in on you must really put you off your stroke .... :)

FFS Rachman...you need help!

I don't feel ashamed of renting with a family, maybe a little defensive, bit not ashamed in the least. Mortgage holders don't own their homes anyway, the bank does.

uh - that's bad. Should have read because of my kids... :huh:

I don't own a house, my life is not complete, I am a failure, I cannot go on, life is meaningless without a mortgage, oh woe is me, how do I live without my four walls to paint magnolia. To paraphrase a well known ex-musician, "life is what happens whilst you are making plans."

Definitely put our lives on hold. My girlfriend and I have put off getting married until we can buy a home first. Also because we don't know how much money we need to save, we're saving as much as possible and not doing things we might otherwise. So despite having a relatively high income we spend a lot less on ourselves than friends of ours who earn less.

Had a baby three weeks ago and living in rented.

All our friends who visit seem to be jealous of our house. The missus does seem to have an issue about renting though, she feels compelled to say "We are only renting", rather than "We are only paying 3/4 of the landlords mortgage interest" as I prefer ;)

Well traditionally you move in with someone, then buy a house then have kids right?

The situation is different now. I am sure a women has a different mindset when it comes to having children too - stability. I find a lot of renters of family homes are off working in the East or the US on short term contracts. We have been on the end of this twice now.

I am not saying your life is over because you don't have a house, far from it. Just wondering about the social change - if any.

My wife and I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We sold our two bed house just over 2 years ago and lived with the inlaws for 6 months before going into rented. So we've been there 18 months and now a better house has come up with a house sitting kind of arrangement whilst the couple are away for a year. It's very close to the village school which we got our son signed up for.

We're planning to build next door to the inlaws (same village as the school and house sit). It might be complete in a year's time when it's time to move out of the house sit.

So, I don't think you should put your life on hold because you rent. I think it opens up opportunities when they come up. Have kids, get married and just see what happens.

Edited by LivingWithTheInlaws

Can someone explain why buying a house and deciding to stay put is seen as "getting on with your life"

To me it seems that making a permanent housing choice is more akin to being "on hold" than renting is. After all, renting enables you to be more mobile and hence economically more effective in the current climate.

Also, by renting, you tend to avoid acquiring as much unnecessary shite as you would if it was your own house.

This whole idea that buying a house is emancipating is nonsense and feeds the idea that renting is "bad".

Edited by BlackSwan

Being more helpful, or less offensive, the flip side is whether one set of parents realy want to have their offspring about in their declining years (or enjoying their retirement instead of being used as freebie nappy changers and baby sitters and being woken in the night).

The decision to have kids would be a 4 way conversation if you lived with a set of parents, which is a bit weird.....

This whole idea that buying a house is emancipating is nonsense and feeds the idea that renting is "bad".

I'm sure it's pretty emancipating when you make the final mortgage payment 25 years later... until that point though, it's more stressful to own a home. I HATE DIY ;)

Just out of interest, how many couples are there on here that are renting (or staying with parents) and waiting to buy a house?

In our situation we just did it anyway. I don't see why we should wait when either of use are getting any younger. But i do feel bad inside of my kids that we dont own a home. I always have a slight sense of shame when I tell people I am renting still. I know its stupid, but its just how I feel.

I wonder what the social consequences of long term nation wide property investment will be?

I am renting a house and I don't see why it makes any difference to my kids other than I can't decorate their rooms. I guess also we aren't going to stay in this house forever, but I wouldn't move now unless we bought as it would be disruptive for them. When i tell people we are renting they say things like - "how lucky", or "its a good time to rent"

What's with all the personal questions on the forum of late?

It happens when all the front people try to maintain starts falling apart. When they stop believing all the crap that they are worth it. I quite like it.

Had a baby three weeks ago and living in rented.

All our friends who visit seem to be jealous of our house. The missus does seem to have an issue about renting though, she feels compelled to say "We are only renting", rather than "We are only paying 3/4 of the landlords mortgage interest" as I prefer ;)

Poor little nipper.

I'm sure it's pretty emancipating when you make the final mortgage payment 25 years later... until that point though, it's more stressful to own a home. I HATE DIY ;)

It's even better when you pay it off early - hah take that, banker!

:)

Guest An Bearin Bui

It's more the insecurity of renting that's a problem for most, I think. If you can get a good deal e.g. a five year secure rental then that wouldn't be an issue but living with a two-month notice period hanging over your head, it's difficult to consider starting a family. If you already had kids that were relatively strong e.g. over 3 at least, then it would be OK but the idea of starting a family in rented accommodation is tough. What if you get 2 months notice to quit when your wife is 6 or 7 months pregnant? What if you get notice to quit when she's just come home from hospital?

I wouldn't fancy having to move house with a 1-month old baby and a wife who's just given birth and is still recovering, struggling with sleepless nights, breastfeeding etc. It's stressful enough having your first child without the burden of moving house on top of it. It really does put me off renting although house-hunting and dealing with retarded EAs is not an attractive prospect either.

What if you take a 1 year lease on a house and then get pregnant e.g. a month later? When the lease is up, your baby is 2 months old - what if the owner won't let to those with children? Obviously it's theoretically against the law for them to discriminate but we all know letting agents are the spawn of Satan and can be very unreasonable. They might not kick you out but could be nasty and make your life difficult. You're completely at the mercy of these morons. That's how the rental situation in the UK is, it's just not set-up for those who want to rent long-term. No wonder most prefer to buy before starting a family.

Funny, when I say I am renting, all i get is why don't you buy? Then I have to go down the whole house price thing, with 25% deposit, etc. Why dont you do shared equity, etc etc.

I don't really believe owning your own house is that bad is it, as some people like to make out. Yes i know the banks technically own it, but your not getting chucked out if you keep up the payments right? Also, home is somewhere you can make your own, decorate it and do stuff in the garden. You know the nesting thing women do, well that's limited in rental.

Guest X-QUORK
It's more the insecurity of renting that's a problem for most, I think. If you can get a good deal e.g. a five year secure rental then that wouldn't be an issue but living with a two-month notice period hanging over your head, it's difficult to consider starting a family. If you already had kids that were relatively strong e.g. over 3 at least, then it would be OK but the idea of starting a family in rented accommodation is tough. What if you get 2 months notice to quit when your wife is 6 or 7 months pregnant? What if you get notice to quit when she's just come home from hospital?

I wouldn't fancy having to move house with a 1-month old baby and a wife who's just given birth and is still recovering, struggling with sleepless nights, breastfeeding etc. It's stressful enough having your first child without the burden of moving house on top of it. It really does put me off renting although house-hunting and dealing with retarded EAs is not an attractive prospect either.

What if you take a 1 year lease on a house and then get pregnant e.g. a month later? When the lease is up, your baby is 2 months old - what if the owner won't let to those with children? Obviously it's theoretically against the law for them to discriminate but we all know letting agents are the spawn of Satan and can be very unreasonable. They might not kick you out but could be nasty and make your life difficult. You're completely at the mercy of these morons. That's how the rental situation in the UK is, it's just not set-up for those who want to rent long-term. No wonder most prefer to buy before starting a family.

Did all of the above i.e. moving with heavily preggers wife etc, no problem whatsoever.

Did all of the above i.e. moving with heavily preggers wife etc, no problem whatsoever.

that's because you have true collectivist grit - some of us capitalists are big wimps and would struggle...

However with house prices having got out of hand in recent years and many people not understanding anything about finance, there will be many people thinking they are about to make their last mortgage payment on their interest only mortgage in 20 years time, to only then have it dawn on them, that they own absolutely nothing. A repayment mortagge is one thing, but I can imagine many people complaining in years to come that they have paid a mortage for x years and they thought they were paying it off. This will happen for certain. These people will have paid far more in mortagge interest than they will likely have done in rent, and will be no better off.