House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MOP

Goldman Employees Told To Keep A Low Profile

Goldman Employees Told No Big Purchases: Report

Published: Tuesday, 4 Aug 2009 | 6:30 AM ET Text Size By: Reuters

Goldman Sachs Group Chief Executive Lloyd Blankfein told employees to avoid making high profile purchases, the New York Post said, citing sources.

Blankfein, who first asked employees to avoid large purchases late last year, has stepped up his campaign in recent weeks, a source told the paper.

"This is a sensitive time for us, and wants to make sure that we're not being seen living high on the hog," the paper quoted an anonymous Goldman executive as saying.

Goldman has faced a torrent of unwanted publicity recently including an unflattering story in Rolling Stone magazine, which accused the bank of having a key role in various market bubbles stretching back to the 1920s.

A Goldman spokeswoman declined to comment to the paper.

Goldman could not be immediately reached for comment by Reuters after regular U.S. business hours.

Last week New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, in a report into compensation paid by banks, said employee pay "has become unmoored from the banks' financial performance."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32280360

Yep. A dead employee would be the perfect pretext for all-out plutocracy.

"The People cannot be trusted and must be controlled for their own protection."

or something like that.

http://www2.goldmansachs.com/our-firm/abou...WilliamW.George

How long before someone (entirely sane and sensible) takes a pot shot at one of these greedy parasites?

I am surprised there hasn't been yet a renaissance of the 70s political terrorism. A reborn Red Brigade outfit taking out one of these guys would surely meet some people's approval ........

Guest UK Debt Slave

Reminds me of that scene in Goodfellas where De Niro has to reproach his gangster underlings for turning up at Paulie's drinking club with flash new cars and expensive furs.

No different is it really?? ;)

Too late. Their brand is dead.

The words Goldman and Sachs will be associated with theft, greed and govt. price fixing in perpetuity. At some point of course, they'll just rebrand, shift their assets and people into a new incarnation and carry on as normal.

Good analogy, bankers are much closer to gangsters than most people think. Being greedy sociopaths I doubt they will heed anyone's advice and will keep waving their "loadsa money" until someone take sit from them in a rather violent manner. I absolutely guarantee that somewhere in the US some foreclosed Joe Sixpack is going to go completely "postal" at the offices of a bank. It is going to make the news, and there will be a lot of faux apologies from worried banksters.

Reminds me of that scene in Goodfellas where De Niro has to reproach his gangster underlings for turning up at Paulie's drinking club with flash new cars and expensive furs.

I was thinking about that scene as well. No difference at all.

Good analogy, bankers are much closer to gangsters than most people think. Being greedy sociopaths I doubt they will heed anyone's advice and will keep waving their "loadsa money" until someone take sit from them in a rather violent manner. I absolutely guarantee that somewhere in the US some foreclosed Joe Sixpack is going to go completely "postal" at the offices of a bank. It is going to make the news, and there will be a lot of faux apologies from worried banksters.

They'll just all get one of these. The 'terrorists' will of course be given life terms.

The_Presidential_Stat_7844.jpg

post-9973-1249390206_thumb.jpg

Guest X-QUORK

:lol:

A perfect comparison on so many different levels.

Too late. Their brand is dead.

Sadly, I doubt it.

Their clients are mainly hedge funds and money managers: in their world anything goes, and their "morals" are no different than GS.

If anything GS will be seen as smarter and better connected than their competitors.

The words Goldman and Sachs will be associated with theft, greed and govt. price fixing in perpetuity.

Only by joe bloggs in the street, I suspect - but GS obviously don't care :(

I absolutely guarantee that somewhere in the US some foreclosed Joe Sixpack is going to go completely "postal" at the offices of a bank.

Agree but amazed it hasn't yet happened.

Do you think we could see anything like this in the UK?

A 'situation' in the City head office of a major bank - now that would be quality live TV !!

and the fedster, setting up the heist:

hood: "Ok what about security Ben?"

ben "security?, security?....you looking at him...im on duty....its perfect"

Guest UK Debt Slave

Pretty fitting... bunch of ******ing gangsters <_<

Edit to add: Uk Debt Slave... just saw your post, took a few minutes to find the Youtube clip :) great minds think alike eh :lol:

Yeah. as X-QUORK says, it's a perfect analogy on every level.

They'll just all get one of these. The 'terrorists' will of course be given life terms.

The_Presidential_Stat_7844.jpg

They used get into one of these in the past .....

baader460.jpg

post-4122-1249391773_thumb.jpg

Sadly, I doubt it.

Their clients are mainly hedge funds and money managers: in their world anything goes, and their "morals" are no different than GS.

If anything GS will be seen as smarter and better connected than their competitors.

Only by joe bloggs in the street, I suspect - but GS obviously don't care :(

It's not their corp. clients and hedgies that Blanfein is aiming at though is it. It's joe bloggs who can influence (and be influenced by) media attention.

Their clients don't give a monkey's what they're called. They just want a slice of the pie as you point out.

Same faces, different name and the image problem goes away until next time.

Gotta love the interweb. ;)

goldfellas-1.jpg

It's not their corp. clients and hedgies that Blanfein is aiming at though is it. It's joe bloggs who can influence (and be influenced by) media attention.

Their clients don't give a monkey's what they're called. They just want a slice of the pie as you point out.

Same faces, different name and the image problem goes away until next time.

Interesstingly some of these banks used to entertain their clients by taking them on partridge or pheasant shoots.. sometimes costing thirty thousand odd a day.... this all stopped of course, but yesterday I saw an add for shooting at a partridge estate in Spain (good shooting apparently) that was advertising packages... arrive friday night, shoot ,sat and sunday... back in london for sunday evening.. no one need know.. discreet.. etc etc... clearly aimed at the city ents market that doesn't want to be seen doing this or spending that kind of money on ents in these troubled times.