House Price Crash Forum

Harman Blames Men For Economic Downturn

HOLA441

An article in today's Yorkshire Post suggests that our sour-faced man-hating Deputy PM blames men for the country's economic woes. Well, at least the whingeing windbag will be gone come the next general election.

Source: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Harman...turn.5520450.jp

Harman blames men for downturn

Date: 04 August 2009

Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman yesterday appeared to blame men for the depth of the credit crunch and global economic downturn.

Ms Harman, who is in charge at Downing Street while Prime Minister Gordon Brown is on holiday, made the comment as she defended her views on equality.

Asked whether the financial crisis would have arisen if more women had been in senior positions,ADVERTISEMENT Ms Harman referred to the US bank that collapsed and prompted international turmoil.

"Somebody did say...that if it had been Lehman sisters rather than Lehman Brothers then there may not have been as much," she told GMTV.

The Cabinet Minister quickly went on: "I have to say it was not me who said that."

However, she did not express disagreement with the sentiment, adding: "I do seriously think that half the financial services industry is women now. Women make up half the workforce of insurance companies and banks. Why shouldn't they have a say on boards as well?"

The remarks came after Ms Harman sparked controversy by saying men must never again dominate both Labour Party top jobs, saying they "cannot be left to run things on their own".

That drew a sharp response from former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, who bluntly demanded that she "stop complaining".

But Ms Harman, who been dubbed "Harriet Harperson" for her forthright views on equality, refused to bank down today.

"I didn't actually say you can't trust men, I basically said you get better decision making in a team if it's a balanced team with women and men working alongside each other," she said.

"One of the reasons I ran for deputy is because I thought there should be a woman in the leadership team and I don't think women would want to step back to an all-male leadership team because of the things that we raise when we're in the position to make decisions."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Ms Harman, who is in charge at Downing Street while Prime Minister Gordon Brown is on holiday, made the comment as she defended her views on equality.

What views on equality? She's made it as clear as day she's as bigoted, retarded and sexist as the people she purports to hate. Only she doesnt just believe people should be free to have racist views, but that the state should actually enforce racist policies.

HOLA443
Guest UK Debt Slave

What views on equality? She's made it as clear as day she's as bigoted, retarded and sexist as the people she purports to hate. Only she doesnt just believe people should be free to have racist views, but that the state should actually enforce racist policies.

Ghastly fekkn harlot.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

She is such a stupid stupid woman and clearly hasn't thought it through fully.

There could well be a situation where the two best people available to run the country (or a bank) are women and NOT men. Personally, and as a man, I would be happy for those two women to actually have those jobs if they are the most suitable. So, then HarLaw is applied and one of her precious sisterhood is deprived of a job and a less qualified man is installed in the position.

B O N K E R S ! ! ! !

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I wonder what these posts would be like if women held 99% of positions of power in the guvment and financial industries . . .?

Does seem sensible to have a balance. Can't think why anyone would disagree. How to go about it is the problem.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
An article in today's Yorkshire Post suggests that our sour-faced man-hating Deputy PM blames men for the country's economic woes. Well, at least the whingeing windbag will be gone come the next general election.

True, true, she is all that.

On the other hand you have to admit that the rip-off, scheming, heads you lose tails I win, bankers are predominantly male. Which is what she says in the article. Unpalatable but true.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

On the other hand you have to admit that the rip-off, scheming, heads you lose tails I win, bankers are predominantly male. Which is what she says in the article. Unpalatable but true.

So what? Are you suggesting there should be a policy remedy? Are you suggesting that female bankers, given the incentive structure, would somehow behave any less recklessly? If so, you are talking absolute OVARIES!!!

HOLA4417
I wonder what these posts would be like if women held 99% of positions of power in the guvment and financial industries . . .?

Does seem sensible to have a balance. Can't think why anyone would disagree. How to go about it is the problem.

my own take on it is that positions of power attract (and require) 'alpha' personalities. I am a bloke, but not one of these. However there are more fellas like this than lasses, so proportionately you get more men in positions of power. If you artificially push more women into these positions, despite not having this necessary characteristic, then it's the same as artificially pushing any person without the required aptitude to do the same - why not people with chosen 'caring' degree backgrounds, why not people with demonstrated years of caring for the sick, irrespective of gender?

Surely to do ANY of this is actively discriminating against those with the right apititude, even if they are mostly male? Which would be worse?

HOLA4418

Margaret Thatcher was quite good at boom and bust.

Ms Harman also said something about how she thought at least one of the top two leaders of the Labour Party should be a woman.

Presumably that rule would mean that one of them should be a man too.

Men have certainly made a mess of things throughout history but I've never seen any evidence that women would have done any better or worse.

HOLA4419
Margaret Thatcher was quite good at boom and bust.

Ms Harman also said something about how she thought at least one of the top two leaders of the Labour Party should be a woman.

Presumably that rule would mean that one of them should be a man too.

Men have certainly made a mess of things throughout history but I've never seen any evidence that women would have done any better or worse.

But think how much worse it would have been if Thatcher had been a man. ;)

HOLA4420

I dunno one banking crisis and the equality police are out in force.

What have men ever done for anyone anyway?

Gallileo, Newton, Da Vinci, Whittle, Einstein, Hawkins, Marconi. etc.. etc..

The lightbulb, the ICE, computers, washing machines, hoovers, satellites and probably the sanitary towel.

Men have harnesses energy to enable women to live an almost equal lifestyle. What thanks do we get?

Lets hope that cheap energy lasts for ever other wise I'm sure we would all like to see Harperson doing a twelve hour shift down a deep coal mine.

For the sake of equality.

HOLA4421
But think how much worse it would have been if Thatcher had been a man. ;)

On balance I think we'd probably have kept the Grammar schools. Revisionist history is very generous but really the 'Iron Lady' pretty much bottled it as Education Sec and was scared of her own civil servants.

HOLA4422

So most of the b*****ers that ******ed up the economy were morons, as well as male. That doesn't mean that all men are bankers, and by extension morons does it?

It's like saying that the majority of the Nazi party was male, so therefore most men are Nazi's.

Goes without saying who the Nazi in this story is.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I would actually agree, and I hate all aspects of feminism and all that ********.

This male scheming bankers club is at the top of the mess, of which huge responsibility has clearly to be taken.

However this whole sorry mess would never have happened without all of those greedy ******* at the bottom. All those who wanted that house that was just a little too expensive for them. They knew it but thought - what the ******.

I have to say, and I am sure most women would agree, that the pressure at the lower levels of this mess has a distinctive female tinge....

HOLA4425

Archived