House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blankster

Doing Tax Online

I decided to bring my tax into the computer age like I have done with almost everything else in my life.

So I took the time to register on the HM Revenue and Customs section of Gov Gateway - all OK so far. Then they send you a unique PIN code through the post to activate your account. I just entered the code - checked it was absolutely correct - it was rejected. I tried two more times - it was definitely absolutely correct. Again, rejected twice. Then it said that after 3 attempts the code is invalid. .........................uuuhhh! why bother??? :angry:

In my experience too, government gateway is rubbish.

But it's worth persevering with the online filing -especially if you are due a refund.

I filed in early May and received a refund within a matter of days:)

I decided to bring my tax into the computer age like I have done with almost everything else in my life.

So I took the time to register on the HM Revenue and Customs section of Gov Gateway - all OK so far. Then they send you a unique PIN code through the post to activate your account. I just entered the code - checked it was absolutely correct - it was rejected. I tried two more times - it was definitely absolutely correct. Again, rejected twice. Then it said that after 3 attempts the code is invalid. .........................uuuhhh! why bother??? :angry:

I had a similar thing with the FSA login. When I spoke to them, they told me it was because I had used a £ or a !, which despite being suggested as an example of a non alphanumeric character to use, and the system did not like those particular symbols.

Yes, I found the pin codes, UTRs and security numbers confusing, and navigating your way around the site is a challenge at times too. I'm getting used to it, although what I would really like is an option to view the account.

I recently made a payment on account (end of July) it was difficult to find the right place to do this, and also to find out how much money they wanted from me (it's on a piece of paper somewhere, but if you just want to get the job done while you're sat there thinking of it, you would have thought that the people that want the money would be able to let you know how much to pay them...)

However, filing the tax return is pretty straightforward, and any rebate to receive or payment you need to make to them happens quickly and easily.

I know that they work to improve the service, but a "my account" with an easy to read statement of transactions for the last 12 months would be great. Maybe it's there, I just haven't found it yet.