House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getdoon_weebobby

Is This A Good Digital Camera Deal?

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/286266

199 down from 269 for the day

need a camera for my california road trip

The 12 x zoom would be very handy for your driving trip through California but if you have the room in your luggage or buy a camera in the USA, why not get an SLR for better shots. The Digital SLR's are easy enough to use and most have a lens available which will cover from wide angle to zoom shots for distant objects/landscapes.

Which places do you intend visiting there on your trip. Death Valley is rather hot at present but some great drives to places like Dante's View etc.

The 12 x zoom would be very handy for your driving trip through California but if you have the room in your luggage or buy a camera in the USA, why not get an SLR for better shots. The Digital SLR's are easy enough to use and most have a lens available which will cover from wide angle to zoom shots for distant objects/landscapes.

Which places do you intend visiting there on your trip. Death Valley is rather hot at present but some great drives to places like Dante's View etc.

cheers.

doing the coast in a convertable from san diego up to san francisco

It looks pretty reasonable- the TZ65 seems to be a DSG group exclusive but from my extremely limited research it seems it's comparable to the TZ7, but lacking the capability to record HD video. A TZ7 is about £250. Depends whether you want to record video or not really.

If you're not strapped for space or cash a digital SLR will be more flexible and give you better results, but for an all round compact the TZ65 looks nice. Personally I have a DSLR for good shots and a cheapo £60 10MP compact for taking out in the evening/going on boat trips when it might get splashed etc., and I take them both with me on holiday :).

is it worth it for the extra £70?

I think so. It means I can ditch the mini-DV camcorder + accessories. That's one less bulky camera bag to carry on holiday. Plus transfer of video from SD card to PC is much less hassle. If you've got a panasonic HD TV then you can just pop the SD card into the slot on the side and view your pictures and videos easily. TZ7 has stereo sound too.

Leave it. Get a Lumix TZ7 ( I just did) instead. 10Mp, 12x optical zoom, takes HD video as well. About £269 from amazon.

you reckon that was the best then around the £250 mark?

i think ill go with your advice. whats its night mode/taking photos with flash like?

cheers.

doing the coast in a convertable from san diego up to san francisco

San Deigo is a very nice city. Sammys woodfired pizzas is a good eatery

cheers for the posts its for the girlfriend. id get an slr if it was me. think ill get the lumix tz7 at the best price i can.

and all the advice on california has given me a thread for another day,,

cheers

I recently picked up a TZ5 (9.1Mp and 10x zoom) and am chuffed to bits with it. The wide angle lense and zoom gives you so many more options when taking a photo. The Panasonic software is also great for camera dummies like me. I have the flash pretty much permanently off as the camera adjusts for light. The only downside I have is that it is rather large and heavy. It's not exactly a camera that you can slip into your pocket.

I recently purchased this one from ebay, it is brilliant, BUT it has some very negative reviews on amazon.

I think this may have been the company i purchased from.

Only £51.99 10MP and 3x Zoom NEW, uses sd cards, and includes re-chargeable batteries and 3 pin charger.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Vivitar-X3...id=p3286.c0.m14