House Price Crash Forum

This Is Such A Great Piece Of Agitprop...

Tokyo_Expat

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest X-QUORK
Expat, dear boy, expat. There is a difference.

To the Japanese you're an immigrant, to the Brits you're an expat. Them's the facts dear boy, them's the facts.

HOLA446
To the Japanese you're an immigrant, to the Brits you're an expat. Them's the facts dear boy, them's the facts.

Nope, when you do the job I do and move in the circles I move in you are an expat. The Japanese, bless 'em, take an extremely vertical view of mankind, based on your country of origin's historical performance, your racial background, your educational qualifications and current job status and salary.

Indonesian cleaner or Phillipina hostess? You're an untermenschen immigrant to be harassed by police and denied credit cards and nice apartments. White, male, suave, highly educated and pulling in a 6 figure salary? You're an expat with an alarming number of cute women after you... :lol:

Enjoy the UK losers!

HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK
Nope, when you do the job I do and move in the circles I move in you are an expat. The Japanese, bless 'em, take an extremely vertical view of mankind, based on your country of origin's historical performance, your racial background, your educational qualifications and current job status and salary.

Indonesian cleaner or Phillipina hostess? You're an untermenschen immigrant to be harassed by police and denied credit cards and nice apartments. White, male, suave, highly educated and pulling in a 6 figure salary? You're an expat with an alarming number of cute women after you... :lol:

Enjoy the UK losers!

An immigrant with an overinflated ego.

HOLA448

Enjoy the UK losers!

"move in the circles"?

"suave"?

"6 figure salary"?

"alarmingly cute women after you"?

That sounds like a job for ...

charisma-man-comic.jpg

You're an Engrish teacher living in a rabbit hutch working with housewives and small kids. Get over yourself.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest X-QUORK
You're an Engrish teacher living in a rabbit hutch working with housewives and small kids. Get over yourself.

What a massive dose of ownage, not sure even Charisma Man can recover from that.

HOLA4411

Enjoy the UK losers!

you're a charmer aren't you.

I spend a fair amount of time in Tokyo, 3 or 4 long trips every year on business; Tokyo is crawling with guys who've lost all sense of proportion in terms of their ego once they get lauded by some misguided Jingai groupies.

It's a great place to visit but living there would drive me crazy (and has done so to a lot of the ex pats out there).

The Japanese I work with and am friends with are by and large very polite and guarded; they're unlikely to let you know what a pompous **** you are, or indeed their real thoughts regarding "white, suave males" immigrants who have a hugely patronising attitude towards the locals ("bless 'em" :rolleyes: ).

I can well imagine why you left the UK, an attitude like yours would be ripped to bits within minutes back here; enjoy your time there but don't kid yourself you're anything better than any other immigrant.

HOLA4412

I'm not sure it's anything to do with your status as to whether or not your an expat or an immigrant. I have always understood immigrant to mean:

Someone who moves to a country with the intention of living there (including those moving to find a job)

and expat to mean,

Someone who goes to a country to perform a specific thing (eg job), for a specific period of time (ie a contract), and has no intention of settling there. Generally I would assume that an expat was maintaining a home in their native country, or at the very least had not moved all their belongings with them.

A six figure salary - let's hope you're not counting that in yen.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
"move in the circles"?

"suave"?

"6 figure salary"?

"alarmingly cute women after you"?

That sounds like a job for ...

charisma-man-comic.jpg

Nope. It may come as a surprise to a Japan-failure like you, but there are plenty of other jobs and careers for westerners in Japan other than English teaching. Try again.

As for Charisma man - sure, why not? Would you turn down top notch pussy offered on a plate? :lol:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Nope. It may come as a surprise to a Japan-failure like you, but there are plenty of other jobs and careers for westerners in Japan other than English teaching. Try again.

As for Charisma man - sure, why not? Would you turn down top notch pussy offered on a plate? :lol:

I know Japan serves top notch fish dishes, but didn't know they cooked cats! You learn something new every day... :P

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest anorthosite
Last big one was 1923...and your point is? :rolleyes:

Just wondering how much tectonic stress you live on, that's all. ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Skinty

I have to admit that even though I hate cities and I get nervous surrounded by loads of people I don't know, I would love to go to Japan. I'd love to check out all the sushi bars. The Japanese that I have met at conferences have always been very polite and they really seem to appreciate it when you try to be very polite and helpful back. Admirable qualities I think. Not that I actually know, just an impression I get.

HOLA4425

No there aren't. When I worked in Japan I was a tech consultant, but that was nearly ten years ago and I speak much better Japanese than you*. The expats have all gone now and the foreign tech companies have all but shut up shop in Akasaka and Roppongi so actually, no there aren't that many jobs and careers for westerners outside teaching.

You are working as an English teacher though. You admitted it elsewhere on this board.

Interesting comedic angle: literal interpretations of euphamistic phrases. Well done. :rolleyes:

Euphemistic. You're definitely not a teacher by training are you? I imagine you work for Berlitz? Shane?

* That's just a guess, but unless you have Japanese proficiency public examination certificates (like me), it's probably a good guess.

Archived