House Price Crash Forum

Food Inflation - Getting Nasty

"e.g.Becks"

Sorry..... it was actually "Grolsch"

You do like to change you mind don't you, can't agree with you on this one either.

I also see your attempt to justify the Becks size, nope agree with Barnet bear on this one.

Both Becks and Grolsh introduced during the early nineties, I remember them well was still a Student and beer was important to you in those days.

I clearly remember Becks smaller bottle, tended not to drink it as I thought was being short changed, alcohol consumed per pence v important when you lived off a tenner a week

Grolsch also came in bigger bottles than 330ml, think it was 450ml or thereabouts, they had the ceramic/rubber flip top and again didn't buy it much too expensive bigger bottle!.........also a few of my mates used to take the caps and put them on their shoes copying Bros, what a bunch of twats, but hey 80's and 90's time that fashion forgot

Anyway enough pedantry, I do agree manufacturers have reduced sizes of certain things but to suggest beer going up from £10 to £12 is a sign hyperinflation is on the way is reaching a bit, even for you.

Edited by Unknown
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a wispa the other day in my local Centra corner shop at 66p and decided not to.

Reminds me of holidays in switzerland as a child in the 80's when sweets were just too expensive to buy with pocket money.

Not necessarily a bad thing for our nations dental health but stealthy all the same.

Absolute nightmare when you get stuck in Switzerland with nothing but a lift pass and 4-star full board accomodation.

You can get 5 Wispas for £1.36 in our local Sainsbury, BTW.

Morrisons have done it loads ... you'd assume by accident if it didn't happen quite so often.

They have also left their hula hoops in the same end of aisle box now the BOGOF is removed ... for the unwary the supermarket is an easy way to be fleeced.

I had to go to Morrisons tonight to do some shopping for the "old folks", was about to put the 2 ltr cooking oil in the trolley when I noticed buying 2 x 1 ltr bottles would save me 50p. Bandits! I may not have noticed if I hadn't been reading HPC today. Cheers!

Precisely why I've never bought Becks. Kronenburg FTW.

Not exactly on topic but I know you are a proponent of the frozen packed lunch. What "works" in a frozen sandwich and what doesn't?

For a frozen sandwich tinned salmon is good.

Sister used to make a week's worth and used Gold spread - a long time ago it was 30p a 500g tub.

Take sandwich out in the morning and it's defrosted by lunchtime.

Tangentally, *every* crisp packet's Best Before date is a Saturday.

Wow - I didnt believe that and the one packet of crisps I had to hand, had a 31st oct 09 23:28 best before date. Which is a Saturday. omigod its true. I am going to put on my tinfoil crisp packet hat. :)

I need to know why now - you beggar :)

Not exactly on topic but I know you are a proponent of the frozen packed lunch. What "works" in a frozen sandwich and what doesn't?

I make these all the time for my husband. i make about 2 weeks at a time and these all freeze really well

Egg, cress and mayo

Egg, sweetcorn and mayo

Cheese and pickle

tinned sardines in tom sauce mixed with cottage cheese

I haven't tried any fresh meat sandwiches so not sure how they would go.

When i have the time i make cake and freeze that into slices. Chocolate, lemon drizzle and even birthday cake work fine.

Cheese scones are fine.

Home made bread freezes well if sliced.

Tortillas don't freeze well at all so don't try wraps.

I'm not super wife but i have the very traditional role of raising our children at home and have the time to do this. Saves us an absoulte fortune on buying food out.

I make these all the time for my husband. i make about 2 weeks at a time and these all freeze really well

Egg, cress and mayo

Egg, sweetcorn and mayo

Cheese and pickle

I haven't tried any fresh meat sandwiches so not sure how they would go.

When i have the time i make cake and freeze that into slices. Chocolate, lemon drizzle and even birthday cake work fine.

Cheese scones are fine.

Home made bread freezes well if sliced.

Tortillas don't freeze well at all so don't try wraps.

I'm not super wife but i have the very traditional role of raising our children at home and have the time to do this. Saves us an absoulte fortune on buying food out.

Thanks

Egg and fish are the 2 thing I didn't think would work.

Tangentally, *every* crisp packet's Best Before date is a Saturday.

Talking of crisps, I crunched a packet all I got was a few crumbs......the rest of the packet was air.

A corneto style ice cream, I lifted the top and there was over an inch of air.

I knew they would start charging us for it eventually. ;)

Edit: grammar that and spelling not my forte I am afraid.

Edited by winkie
remember when you could buy.......

24 x 330ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

then......

18 x 330ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

then.....

18 x 275ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

The other day it was ....

18 x 275ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £11.99

slowly slowly catchee monkey

Inflation - it will get you all in the end.

Get into assets asap

Yesterday I bought a case of stella for £5.99 in Somerfield.......Hyper - Deflation it is then!!!! ;)

ah yes Beck.

two years ago the bottles came in a box of 24.

then 20.

now 18.

Could be right there

Possible explanation from someone in the trade?

See linky fisrt reply to stupid question

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/278897

Its all about profit and supermarkets are probably squeezing the **** of suppliers on cost so anything to keep margin up, perhaps more eveidence of deflation?

As someone once says "there are lies damn lies and statistics" You can interpret figures in more than one way

Edited by Unknown
Mental maths practice being operative word. How many buy family value packs without checking?

I think is getting close to misrepresentation at the moment, my personal experience.

Also a lot of people do genuinely struggle with maths. Some are plain lazy though.

Sainsburys (and I think the other supermarkets) actually save the mathematically-challenged from having to work out if the big packet or the 3 for 2 offer is a better deal - they usually seem to give decent price comparisons on the little labels on the edges of the shelves - like this is £x.xx per Kg or per litre, and these ones work out as £y.yy etc.

If you can't even be ar5ed to read these, you deserve to pay more!

Talking of crisps, I crunched a packet all I got was a few crumbs......the rest of the packet was air.

A corneto style ice cream, I lifted the top and there was over an inch of air.

I knew they would start charging us for it eventually. ;)

Edit: grammar that and spelling not my forte I am afraid.

& yet the media newspeak pumps out the saving the planet by recycling sh1te every day. The supermarkets use more packaging to make there products look bigger, yet the checkout girls frown at you if you haven't brought your fashionable green bags with you.

tw4ts. I don't like supermarkets. <_<

& yet the media newspeak pumps out the saving the planet by recycling sh1te every day. The supermarkets use more packaging to make there products look bigger, yet the checkout girls frown at you if you haven't brought your fashionable green bags with you.

My local tesco only had the tiny size carrier bags the other day, I didn't have much and I take my own bag anyway(better handles) you should have seen everyone trying to fit their shopping into these pint sized bags or buying masses of the greenie bags. Dead funny!

Amazingly, not one word of complaint, not one. Just shows how compliant the great british public have become under the power of the mighty supermarket.

Sainsburys (and I think the other supermarkets) actually save the mathematically-challenged from having to work out if the big packet or the 3 for 2 offer is a better deal - they usually seem to give decent price comparisons on the little labels on the edges of the shelves - like this is £x.xx per Kg or per litre, and these ones work out as £y.yy etc.

If you can't even be ar5ed to read these, you deserve to pay more!

That's 'cause they have too, by law, good old EU :-)

gb

Egg, cress and mayo

Egg, sweetcorn and mayo

Cheese and pickle

You are super, your husbands a lucky chap!

gB

Guest Parry aka GOD
The 10p Sainbury basics shower gel is actually OK, it smells appley too. I even washed my hair with it this morning and it did the job.

10p!!!

Seriously, and especially when incomes are taken into account, the Brits currently have the lowest grocery bills.

Shame about the other bills, but you can't have it all.

Best thing to do is buy in bulk from wholesalers. I know this is a bit more tricky in the UK than here becuase you need a Makro card or CostCo card, try and get one.

I buy all long life stuff in bulk now.

Washing powder, soap, shampoo, pasta, noodles, UHT milk, snacks for the kids, freezer stuff, conrnflakes, tea, pepper, salt, sauces . . . . everything but vegetables and fresh meat.

Spent a small amount on tupperware and the like to store the stuff but it cut the shopping bill by around 30%, perhaps a little more.

Sure is - I buy from Infinity Foods - good healthy stuff at affordable prices. Don't need a card or nothing. Just need to tell them you're trading the food at markets, or something. Largeish min order, but a family of 5 eats a hell of a lot anyway.

Edited by gruffydd

Hypocrites, makes you feel like taking all the empty packaging back in your green bags....and leaving for them to re-cycle it. ;)

Guest Parry aka GOD
Sure is - I buy from Infinity Foods - good healthy stuff at affordable prices. Don't need a card or nothing. Just need to tell them you're trading the food at markets, or something. Largeish min order, but a family of 5 eats a hell of a lot anyway.

Gruff,

Innit right that when we were all flat out, no choice but convinience, time constraints. But now it's amazing just a wee little bit of time spent really thinking about what you buy and researching how to buy it cheaper really, really pays off.