House Price Crash Forum

Food Inflation - Getting Nasty

Guest Parry aka GOD
Very good advise. ;) UHT milk is really rather good, use it regularly now.

It's a strange thing out here, I gues the price differentials aren't that much in the UK.

Example is butter. 250 gram pack is 142 Baht (£2.49) but the 5 kg pack on the shelf below is 510 Baht (£8.94). So buy the big one and cut it up, wrap in cling film and freeze. £9 covers butter for the year.

Ketchup, 3.6 litres, 149 Baht for Heinz stuff, or 108 Baht for Roza

Pepper, 1kg pack, 70 Baht

Shampoo, 3.6 litres, 179 Baht

Washing powder, 9kg, 289 Baht

Milk, fresh is brutal at 79 Baht £1.38 for 2 litres, so I get 12x1litre UHT zero fat for 400 Baht. Marginally cheaper but it all adds up.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates and tracks the cost of living all the way down to toothpicks. Got forex and inflation forecast as well.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomber's shopping tip #1 - I simply cannot remember the last time I didn't buy toothpaste, shower gel, razors etc from Boots or Superdrug that wasn't on buy one get one free.

Bomber's shopping tip #2 - Perishables - If practical, visit your local Sainsburys or Tescos around 9pm to grab all the reduced price items on perishables, sandwiches, vegetables, fruit, ready meals. If you can't make use of them that night, you could certainly use them the next day and more than likely the day after that too. BBE dtaes are simply that, Best before.

Shopping smartly, doesn't necessarily mean you have to live on pasta, rice etc Yuck!!!

Has anyone else noticed that over the last few months all the supermarkets have withdrawn their 250ml bottles of wine and replaced them with 187ml bottles which are identical in design but slightly smaller. They were quite sneaky in how they did it - first the 250ml bottles were taken off the shelves and for a week there were no non-full-size wine bottles, then the smaller ones appeared - so there was no opportunity to see the old and the new side by side. I'll bet most people never realised there was a change.

The price per bottle was also reduced but they've managed to squeeze an extra 0.03p per ml onto the price.

Edited by Nationalist
Guest eight
Mental maths practice being operative word. How many buy family value packs without checking?

I think is getting close to misrepresentation at the moment, my personal experience.

Also a lot of people do genuinely struggle with maths. Some are plain lazy though.

Sainsburys in particular have a habit of doing something like putting a massive sign under, say, the Pringles saying "2 for £2" and under that in tiny letters will be something like "vomit and cheese flavour 13gram size only" which of course they don't even stock, and it's only when you get home and check your receipt that you find you've been duped.

Also does anybody know if product weights include packaging or not? Only 200g jar of Kenco is £4.95, 200g refill sachet is £4.97. Can't really work that one out myself...

eight

Heinz salad cream is cheaper ( by weight) if you buy a small glass bottle in sainsbury than if you the 2 bigger plastic bottle sizes. I'm not sure but I think this is also true for ketchup too ( I can get the wife to buy cheaper ketchup, but there is no way she would buy any other brand of salad cream). The bottles can be reused (we are making plum ketchup today ;) )

I have also often seen shrink wrapped brocolli buy one get one free offers but if you check the price per weight, even getting a free one is still nearly 50% more expensive than if you bought the loose brocolli sold by weight. It's amazing how many shoppers buy the shrink wrapped stuff because they think they are getting a bargain. We grew our own brocolli this year, even cheaper and much tastier.

Last week at Asda I noticed they the sizes of the soap powder boxes had changed. The one we used to buy doesn't exist now. There is a much smaller one at the same price as the one we used to buy or a larger one that is over twice the price of the one we used to buy. I dread to think the what the % increase is.

We decided not to buy any and called in the garage on the way home and bought their last 3 boxes of our old size. It felt like finding gold....

you can look at the stats all day long arguing that everything appears deflationary BUT if you use your eyes, ears & apply some common sense you can see how they are getting away with it.

great post Final Bear.

these types of posts are sometimes the important ones. The data/stats monkeys might take heed...

I remember arguing with them about when the top came in property in the UK as they were telling me prices were still going up. Some posters will remember the outcome of that one. Yet for months if not a year

I also remember saying that we were already in recession....same thing.....arguing with the data/stats monkeys.

This post isn't back slapping for me (trust me it's not), it's about using common sense ffs.

It's so easy to see if you just stop believing the VI manipulated stats.

Some posters call people pedants for spotting things like this, with comments like 'get a life' etc but what they don't realise is they are being conned.

Now if they are manipulating the cereals ;) , what do you think the governments/financial masters are doing with the stock markets ?

If everything feels worse & you know lot's of friends & family that are being made redundant, then how come the markets are up ?

stop believing the media driven hype

:ph34r::ph34r:

remember when you could buy.......

24 x 330ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

then......

18 x 330ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

then.....

18 x 275ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £9.99

The other day it was ....

18 x 275ml bottles of 5% lager e.g. Becks for £11.99

slowly slowly catchee monkey

Inflation - it will get you all in the end.

Get into assets asap

I noticed for a number of years. Same price but less product.

I'm waiting for the 24 cans of 440ml to be replaced with 330ml cans.

Although on the food front smaller portions may help combat obesity.

Although on the food front smaller portions may help combat obesity.

less food for less moeny we don't mind. That won't happen though.

The supermarkets WILL rule the town's & cities very soon. What don't they sell.

CFO's never say things like 'we don't need to make as much money as last year'

The business culture/psyche has changed unimagineably for the worse imo & won't go backover.

Seen the same with teabags - 2 x 50 boxes cost less than 1 x 100 box... good mental maths practice (not the teabags obviously) working out the costs of different weights and number of dishwasher tablets....

In fairness (to Asda) they always seem to display the equivalent price per tablet.

In fairness (to Asda) they always seem to display the equivalent price per tablet.

Agreed,

I find ASDA the least likely to try and rip you off. May not always be the cheapest, but usually is.

My largest hate is not price, but fake offers. Eg a huge display of sausages with '3 for £5' signs all over it. Only to find that about 50% of the things in that display are on offer. Then magically you pay 3 quid each at the checkout.

Tescos are the masters of this, people dont check their receipts and continually get ripped off. Not me though :P

Shopping done at tesco normally, but earlier this year there was a change from

1kg loaves to 800g loaves , which I only noticed when I tried to defrost one of the

new ones and it went round ok in the microwave - the old 1kg ones tended to stick

so needed accurate positioning . Then had a look next time and all loaves are

800g now .

Never heard any mention of it :(

Guest Parry aka GOD
Why not look out for local posters offering kittens or puppies free to a good home?

Always try to go for the bigger animals, more filling.

I tried to find a free Korean cookbook online, but it was in Korean.

Oh Noes! Food price inflation!!!!

At this rate of increase, people may have to actually look at the prices on stuff in the supermarket by 2050! I'm not panicking yet. Food has been unrealistically cheap for a long time now. Look at how generally speaking the poorest are amongst the fattest.

Guest Parry aka GOD

At this rate of increase, people may have to actually look at the prices on stuff in the supermarket by 2050! I'm not panicking yet. Food has been unrealistically cheap for a long time now. Look at how generally speaking the poorest are amongst the fattest.

+1

Cheapest in the World relative to incomes.

Because of the last decade of insanity, folks had to rely on convienience which costs. Now, as things slow down, they have time to get buying habits right and start cooking again.

It's all good, frankly.

Edited by Parry aka GOD
Why not look out for local posters offering kittens or puppies free to a good home?

Always try to go for the bigger animals, more filling.

the british only sell stuff to each other, they never give stuff away though.

On the odd occasion they are giving away an animal it's probably because it was a present, & it was the wrong colour & doesn't match that leather sofa in the newly rufurbed executive house with electric garage door & 2 guest bedrooms (ensuite of course) & a huge entertainment area, because every family would be incomplete without one.

well that & the fact that the benefits system is paying them around 20k per year, more if they are on invalidity. Why work if you are unqualified as you would struggle to match that free money (as long as you have a couple of kids of course & they both have ADHD, which is a made up label for sh1t parents)

That's why the working class have the most children, it's ingrained to have a baby, get a council house. It's the law on council estates.