House Price Crash Forum

Time Is Up For Once-great Britain

HOLA441

These kind of articles that pick out one particular country as being particularly fallen, whether the UK/Ireland/Spain/Russia/USA/China/Japan/Iceland/Greece etc. pretty much miss the point.

It is the entire global economy that's in contraction. We're going to see a lot of nations/regions going down the tubes over the next few years, and I think the only ones that will be untouched will be those that never had much going for them in the first place.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
"Hiya, from up here I'd include the Picts, the Welsh and the Celts......Not 'English' but still(?) part of the UK!"

I am looking forward to someone doing the genetic number crunching to see the size of the footprint left by the Normans in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

I suspect it will be far greater in England and traditionally it is my understanding the Normans are seen as the last component of the early English nation rather than a component of the nations of Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

That is why on the Norman point I restricted my post to England.

Not from any lack of respect for Scotland, Wales and Ireland, nations and peoples that any reasonably educated person has no option but to hold in high regard.

...Robert the Bruce was Norman....he left a fairly large footprint on Scottish history.... <_<

HOLA445
HOLA446
A potentially beautiful historic city carved up by massive road building and overrun with flats, car parks and retail developments.

The humungous retail park thingy in the middle is a complete eyesore. There was a lot of local resistance to it while it was being built, of course while the council might clamp down on the little people when it comes to planning, when it comes to ripping up the town centre in exchange for the Almighty Buck they were all for it.

Amusingly when it was finished, the recession hit. :lol: And now the Zavvi that used to be in there is no more, and the tumbleweeds blow through it.

As for beauty it did used to be beautiful, until the Luftwaffe knocked the best bits down.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

This'll confuse the resident IT technicians and programmers here on hpc!

This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,

This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

This other Eden, demi-paradise,

This fortress built by Nature for herself

Against infection and the hand of war,

This happy breed of men, this little world,

This precious stone set in a silver sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall

Or as a moat defensive to a house,

Against the envy of less happier lands,

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

This nurse, this teeming womb of royal kings,

Feared by their breed and famous by their birth

[Richard II, 2.1, 40-51]

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
The humungous retail park thingy in the middle is a complete eyesore. There was a lot of local resistance to it while it was being built, of course while the council might clamp down on the little people when it comes to planning, when it comes to ripping up the town centre in exchange for the Almighty Buck they were all for it.

Amusingly when it was finished, the recession hit. :lol: And now the Zavvi that used to be in there is no more, and the tumbleweeds blow through it.

As for beauty it did used to be beautiful, until the Luftwaffe knocked the best bits down.

Well I wanted to see the Medieval bridge which is amazing, but is surrounded by roads. Also there was an alcoholic under one of the arches and when we sheltered from the rain in the ruined church at the end a very polite homeless guy joined us.

I also wanted to see the Norman gatehouse which is very difficult to find and next to a massive car park entrance.

The small park on the way to a gate through the Roman wall was also frequented by people sitting on the path drinking, who were also very polite.

Not what I expected TBH, but I suppose typical of the Britain created by Nu Labour.

:blink:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Like garden centres, Makro and Tesco Lotus.

You lot really think I have a wild life out here. :lol:

i always enjoy your posts long time Mr Parry, you always seem to be having a happy ending :lol:

maybe along with Luke Skywalker and any other Asiana dwellers on this forum, we should establish a new recession indicator for SE Asia.... Ho Price Crash.... :P

incidentally, i'm back in Blighty for my annual two week pilgrimage, so on sunday went to see the Arsenal play a pre-season friendly at their plush, new stadium. Minimum 30 quid entrance fee yet 54,000 people turned up to watch a fairly meaningless trouncing of Glasgae Rangers. Recession! What recession?

HOLA4416
"...Robert the Bruce was Norman....he left a fairly large footprint on Scottish history.... "

Robert the Bruce may have been of Norman stock but he wasn't a Norman, he was a Scot.

Just like Peter de la Billiere may be of Huguenot stock but is British rather than Huguenot.

...you split hairs ...his fathers side originated from Normandy...and you were discussing Norman footprints ...for Scotland this is a pretty big footprint ... <_<

HOLA4417

"...you split hairs ...his fathers side originated from Normandy...and you were discussing Norman footprints ...for Scotland this is a pretty big footprint ... "

Pasted from one of my earlier posts on this very thread:

"The Norman influence probably was substantial but the Norman "genetic" footprint probably wasn't.

We await the science on the point. Then we'll know/have a better idea."

Now go away.

HOLA4418
"...you split hairs ...his fathers side originated from Normandy...and you were discussing Norman footprints ...for Scotland this is a pretty big footprint ... "

Pasted from one of my earlier posts on this very thread:

"The Norman influence probably was substantial but the Norman "genetic" footprint probably wasn't.

We await the science on the point. Then we'll know/have a better idea."

Now go away.

.....here are some of the genetics ..with music..!.... <_<

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/5850/bruce.html

Bruce, or in early years de Bruce, was the surname of an old Scottish family of Norman descent founded by Robert de Bruce I who died approx 1094. De Bruce was a Norman knight from Bruis, a castle near Cherbourg, France. In 1066 he went to England with William the Conquerer.
Bruce's nephew, Robert II, who secceeded David, was the first king of the Stuart house of English and Scottish royalty.
Edited by South Lorne

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
This is just reality biting.

We have been spending far too much on 'defence' (which in actuality is 'attack') since WWII.

The UK is not special, it's just a medium-sized northern European country and we need to behave as such.

Reduce defence spending, and send a whole load of spivs and speculators over to Asia (the entire financial sector is only responsible for around 15% of UK GDP). Sounds good to me!

Over time we will fill the gap in the economy, maybe even with real businesses exporting products and services.

As long as you leave me with access to the Highlands of Scotland and Italy, you can have the rest.

Have to disagree - defense spending has not brought the UK down - the welfare state has.

You could halve the defense budget and the 17bln saved would be eaten up by the welfare state within 3 mnths.

And all it would cost you is any vestige of national pride or ability to defend your citizens or territory.

Dont cut defense - defense creates jobs, cut welfare before it's cancerous growth brings us all down.

HOLA4422
"...Robert the Bruce was Norman....he left a fairly large footprint on Scottish history.... "

Robert the Bruce may have been of Norman stock but he wasn't a Norman, he was a Scot.

Just like Peter de la Billiere may be of Huguenot stock but is British rather than Huguenot.

I disagree - we was not a Scot by any definition other location of birth. Indeed it can be argued that although the "Kingdom of Alba" had existed for several centuries prior to the Bruce, the concept of a Nation of Scotland did not occur in the minds of the populace until the attempted annexation of the North by Edward Longshanks.

After all the vast majority of the lower classes both north and south lived pretty much the same way, worshipped the same church and owed allegiance to the same ruling class of French Normans. Before the wars of Independence the difference between the peoples of "England" and "Scotland" was largely insignificant

It's a reaction to the wholesale butchery and borderline genocide of these acts of aggression that lead to the creation of Scotland as a national identity.

You cannot overestimate the impact that one mans psychotic personality has had on creating 700 years of hostility and mistrust.

If only Edward had been a saner, better man then it's most likely that England would have absorbed the entire north of Britain without any struggle.

HOLA4423

Just because I can't be bothered with South-boring doesn't mean I have to .... to you.

So, what is your definition of a "Scot"?

What is "the" definition of a Scot?

Maybe you will say something insightful and I might learn something from you.

Give us a definition and then we can see how Bruce relates to that, which will allow us to decide whether your,

"I disagree - we was not a Scot by any definition other location of birth," (sic),

Was worth reading.

My prediction is .... it wasn't.

HOLA4424
This'll confuse the resident IT technicians and programmers here on hpc!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

This royal throne breed and famous by their birth

[Richard II, 2.1, 40-51]

Too right, what a crap poem - it don't even rhyme, Guv!

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,

Fuzzy had no hair,

so Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy,

Was 'e?

Much better, it rhymes and it makes you think!

gB

HOLA4425
After all the vast majority of the lower classes both north and south lived pretty much the same way, worshipped the same church and owed allegiance to the same ruling class of French Normans. Before the wars of Independence the difference between the peoples of "England" and "Scotland" was largely insignificant

It's a reaction to the wholesale butchery and borderline genocide of these acts of aggression that lead to the creation of Scotland as a national identity.

You cannot overestimate the impact that one mans psychotic personality has had on creating 700 years of hostility and mistrust.

....the track of Scottish Kings invading areas like Northumberland goes back more than 700 years and certainly did not start with Bruce....it goes back over 1000 years ....see Malcolm 1 (943-954)

Malcolm was the son of Donald II. He may have supported the establishment of a Danish kingdom of York in the 940s, and he harried the north of England.

He was killed in battle, possibly at Fetteresso, Kincardineshire by rebels from Moray.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarc...s/MalcolmI.aspx

...before Malcolm, Constantine II fought the Anglo Saxons in Northumbria ..

...most of these Scottish Kings from that period ( some say as many as 60) were buried on Iona ....Bruce in his battles was only following an 'old time family tradition' ..as David Alan Coe puts it............ <_<

Edited by South Lorne