House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Consultants Needed At £250k To Find Sites For Travellers

This smacks of the revolving-door consultancies that leech off local authorties. Are you an ambitious young public sector professional with good networking connections but thwarted on the way to that coveted top job? Simple, set up as an independent consultant and make use of your connections.

OK, traveller sites need to be found. The local autorities must have the expertise within them to sort this out themselves.

They should set up a joint committee to sort it out, not use consultants. It might still cost £250K but at least it's all in-house and above board.

Local authorities use consultants to tell them either what they want to hear or what they should already know!!!!

Edited by blankster

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4524...ravellers_site/

All on the public teat, as usual.

I would have thought the sound of £250K would have a queue of farmers with land to sell stretching round the block.

Would a mile out to sea still count as Dorset!

I would have thought the sound of £250K would have a queue of farmers with land to sell stretching round the block.

I don't think finding the land is the issue, it's finding some land nowhere near any voters that's the problem.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Would a mile out to sea still count as Dorset!

Could be too close to floating voters.

Guest Parry aka GOD

These are the 'consultants' that need stringing up, not real consultants and GP's.

Surely the whole point of being a traveller is that you should be travelling?

We are all travelling round the sun. Or some shite.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4524...ravellers_site/

All on the public teat, as usual.

Last I heard there was going to be a traveller site just off the spur road coming into Bournemouth - right next to the sewage farm and hospital incinerator.

After seeing the fricking mess they made of the grounds around the Littledown Centre a few years back I'm afraid I'm not very sympathetic towards travellers - they seem to be worryingly close to a lawless community.

(Please note I'm attacking a lifestyle, not an ethnic group.)

How dare these people think they're free to live their lives as they choose. Just because they were born on this Earth doesn't give them any right to inhabit part of it. Unless they pawn their lives to the banks of course.

Edited by dom

How dare these people think they're free to live their lives as they choose. Just because they were born on this Earth doesn't give them any right to inhabit part of it. Unless they pawn their lives to the banks of course.

Is your front garden going spare? Would it be okay if a bunch of people moved onto it in the dead of night (taking out your garden fence in the process, naturally), kept you awake with lots of noise and dogs, churned up the land to hell then sodded off leaving it waist-deep in litter? That seems to be the normal deal.

Is your front garden going spare? Would it be okay if a bunch of people moved onto it in the dead of night (taking out your garden fence in the process, naturally), kept you awake with lots of noise and dogs, churned up the land to hell then sodded off leaving it waist-deep in litter? That seems to be the normal deal.

Duh!

Duh! and Duh!

That's the whole point of authorised sites. The CJB in the 90s removed local authority obligation to provide sites, hence the grief.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Duh!

Duh! and Duh!

That's the whole point of authorised sites. The CJB in the 90s removed local authority obligation to provide sites, hence the grief.

. . . hence JCB's removing tonnes of rubbish and asbestos waste, paid for by local authorities.

. . . hence JCB's removing tonnes of rubbish and asbestos waste, paid for by local authorities.

Compared to the cost of policing the town centre at the weekend?

Or subsidies to land owners for doing nothing?

Guest Parry aka GOD
Compared to the cost of policing the town centre at the weekend?

Or subsidies to land owners for doing nothing?

No, no . . . keep it up. We made a fortune out of it!

Cheers!

ike all truck drivers, I am plagued by these thieving scum. We lost another 300 litres last week, from a truck parked up in Ebbw Vale. This is a regular occurence. They pump it out with bilge pumps into the 45 gallon drums in the back of the Transit.

ike all truck drivers, I am plagued by these thieving scum. We lost another 300 litres last week, from a truck parked up in Ebbw Vale. This is a regular occurence. They pump it out with bilge pumps into the 45 gallon drums in the back of the Transit.

I thought that the fiver i gave you more than covered it, i just needed enough to get me to the next garage... :lol:

I thought that the fiver i gave you more than covered it, i just needed enough to get me to the next garage... :lol:

Yes, that's the usual one, sure and bejaysus, de garage won't accept me euros etc but on this occasion the fuel went overnight while the driver was asleep, same as happened to me a few months ago.

Duh!

Duh! and Duh!

Duh yourself.

I haven't actually said anything against authorised sites yet. I'd be quite happy to have the travellers out of the way in the aforementioned spot next to the sewage farm and bacon factory. That spot actually is (or was - I haven't been following the story that hard) a proposed site by the way.

However given the massive lack of respect with which some travellers treat their pitches I do wonder what the ongoing cleanup and maintenance costs will be like. I've heard stories of nice amenities being laid on at such sites and then promptly stripped of all their fittings. Litter will definitely be a big issue. Basically I am unsympathetic to travellers.

Moving on from that, perhaps all "undesirable" developments should be allocated under a NIMBY umbrella. A community with some empty land is told they have to choose between...

• twenty wind turbines.

• an incinerator.

• a travellers' site.

• a surf reef (bit of local satire, that one).

... with a local poll

What's the problem with generalising? So long as your generalisation is sound it's a useful technique for avoiding problems rather than coping with the aftermath.

I'd generally say that travellers cause a lot of trouble and mess and I'm happy for them to travel anywhere so long as it's nowhere near my house. I also am not interested in funding places for them to travel to.

We have a real problem with this. It's not just the cost of the fuel theft. If the driver doesn't realise it's gone he'll carry on driving thinking there's loads of fuel and then run dry with the engine taking a big gulp of air. There's then the cost of a roadside mechanic to go and bleed the fuel lines, re-prime and put new filters on, whilst the truck's off the road for a couple of hours. General public have probably got no idea how much fuel theft there is - unless they live in the country and have got an oil tank in the garden for heating.

I wouldn't park anywhere near a pikey camp, but would quite happily park right outside a Youth Hostel or a residential care home and it is experience, not prejudice which has taught me this.