House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunnered

Criminals Involved In Edinburgh Property Market

The Evening News has a couple of stories today which may be of interest.

Police probe gang attacks

POLICE are investigating an alleged extortion gang in connection with a series of baseball bat attacks on the homes of Lothian businessmen.

A property developer and his family are among those to have been targeted by thugs to terrorise them into giving up claims on money or property.

The gang is believed to include "white collar" professionals, including at least one lawyer, who provide a respectable front for their criminal activities

The ringleaders are said to have links with the shamed Royal Bank of Scotland boss Donald Mackenzie, who was jailed for ten years for fraud and embezzlement in 2006, which was reduced to six years and eight months on appeal.

A source close to the investigation said: "These guys are outwardly respectable and people dealing with them day to day would be shocked to know what has been going on.

They also talk to one of the victims: A businessman recalls the day he had to flee the Capital after men armed with baseball bats attacked his home. (No, it's not Fred Goodwin).

"It's actually harder to flee the country than it looks in the movies," sighs Mr Black, a smartly dressed Edinburgh businessman in his 50s, who never dreamed he'd end up the victim of a complex and violent "white collar" plot to siphon his money, ruin his business and tarnish his name.

"We flew to Stansted – the easiest place to get to," he recalls.

"I'd just signed over my share of the business I had and the property assets I held in it – against my will. I had to, I had no choice.

It sounds bizarre: who would believe that members of Edinburgh's learned society – lawyers, bank staff and other professionals – might be embroiled in a tangled web of violence, illicit deals and muddy cover-ups?

At the heart of it all is a former business partner – a millionaire property developer with a network of legal contacts, bankers and other professionals, apparently willing to help him bend and even break rules.

The pair had worked together for several years until Mr Black discovered in 2003 that professional complaints had been upheld against his partner. Shocked, he attempted to split the company and retrieve his personal investments and assets.

With his associate dragging his heels, it was a slow process, and in April 2004 Mr Black's concerns grew when police arrested Donald Mackenzie, a one-time RBS business manager of the year, who had woven a £21 million web of false accounts and fraudulent loans.

Mackenzie's loans included £800,000 to pay for 20 of Mr Black's and his business partner's properties – and Mr Black was stunned to find several missing from the company's portfolio.

[continues...]

Michty me! It's worse than we thought.

Edited by Scunnered

The Evening News has a couple of stories today which may be of interest.

Police probe gang attacks

They also talk to one of the victims: A businessman recalls the day he had to flee the Capital after men armed with baseball bats attacked his home. (No, it's not Fred Goodwin).

Michty me! It's worse than we thought.

One name instantly comes to mind......... :rolleyes:

Here's another one. 'Shark' lawyer stole £400k from will.

A DISGRACED New Town lawyer who stole more than £400,000 from an elderly client's will boasted of being a "shark" who preyed on vulnerable victims.

Michael Karus faces the threat of jail after pleading guilty at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday to embezzling the money from the estate of Edith Hampton.

The 48-year-old prided himself on his ruthless approach to business while amassing a multi-million pound property empire across the city, said former associates.

Karus even named two of his firms GWS (Great White Shark) and Mako "one of the deadliest types of shark" in celebration of his predatory style.

The Evening News understands that Karus is facing a further police investigation into his activities following his conviction.

Edited by Scunnered

Number 3 in an occasional series.

Evening News: Murder Inc: Gangland enforcer and financial adviser convicted of plot to kill city businessman

GANGLAND enforcer Francis Doris was today behind bars after being found guilty of plotting to kill a businessman in a £30,000 contract hit.

Doris, who boasted of shooting seven men and often signed his text messages "Murder Inc", was trapped after boasting of his plans to a former vice girl who later gave evidence against him.

The 40-year-old hardened criminal was convicted alongside former business consultant and property developer Martin Black, 33, who had hired Doris as a bodyguard.