House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Wind Turbines Are A Health Risk...

"Infrasound" or ultra-low frequency sound comes from a lot more sources than wind turbines (and I don't see any proof that Wind Turbines do produce ultralow frequency sound at an appreciable volume) and there doesn't seem to be any trouble with those sources.

This article is hyperbole. Utter shit.

It's like that DJ who was "allergic" to wi-fi. He later admitted he'd just made it all up. :lol:

"Infrasound" or ultra-low frequency sound comes from a lot more sources than wind turbines (and I don't see any proof that Wind Turbines do produce ultralow frequency sound at an appreciable volume) and there doesn't seem to be any trouble with those sources.

This article is hyperbole. Utter shit.

It's like that DJ who was "allergic" to wi-fi. He later admitted he'd just made it all up. :lol:

The mad,like the poor,are always with us.

I mentioned elsewhere that this infrasound scare is nonsense. Was it dreamt up by nimbys or by nuclear power lobbyists?

It's all like the hoo-haa about phone masts and electromagnetic radiation - when you'd be getting more EM radiation from a TV transmitter mast 20 miles away than from a phone mast just down the road!

If infrasound really is dangerous to health, all helicopters should be grounded immediately and people should be stopped from driving with their windows open. Open top cars would have to be banned too. And all rock concerts would have to be banned because of the infrasound waves that you don't hear so much as feel.

I'm a supporter of wind energy. Obviously wind turbines are not without some environmental impact - mainly visual as few people would want to live really close to a large turbine. Noise problems I believe are mainly associated with the gears that turn the slow rotation of the turbine to fast rotation of the generator. But some newer turbines are direct drive, with a slow-speed annular generator, and so much quieter.

Guest X-QUORK

I imagine all the shit pumped out by coal-fired power stations is more of a health concern than the low hum of a wind turbine.

Camberwick Green had a windmill, and I don't remember any of these complaints. :huh:

Guest X-QUORK
Camberwick Green had a windmill, and I don't remember any of these complaints. :huh:

+1

Excellent point.

+10 coal/ash gives off ALOT of radiation (more than some nuclear waste), play it safe don't live within 5-10 miles of a coal power station

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....n-nuclear-waste

Oooh, radiation, scary stuff eh.

Note that living near a coal plant increased radiation exposure by 1.9 millirems; in comparison to the normal background radiation of 360 millirems. That is to say, the increase in radiation from living near coal power plant is lost in the noise. The story is scaremongering.

You want to really expose yourself to a lot of radiation? Insulate your home. If you live on a natural source of uranium (many in the UK do), a modern airtight house traps the radon gas generated as the naturally occurring uranium decays in the ground. This can result in radiation exposure levels typically between 500 and 1500 millirems annually - nearly one thousand times the increase from living near a coal power station, and is believed to be the second highest cause of lung cancer after smoking.

Of course, Scientific American, being a BS tabloid "science" rag, which beats drum of the global warming bandwagon heavily, would rather report on the utterly irrelevant radiation risk from coal power plants than the very real radiation risk from excessive home insulation, because it suits their scaremongering beliefs.

ETA: The idea that wind turbines are a health risk is BS as well. Infrasound? Good grief. There are so many good arguments against wind turbines (cost; intermittancy of generation; landscape spoil) that we don't really need to make sh*t up about them.