House Price Crash Forum
Wannabebear

Where Would You Go If You Left The Uk?

Hi everyone,

I have read quite a few posts on here with people getting hacked off with the UK and are ready to leave. I sympathise with a lot of the comments and am getting fed up with the house prices in my area. The only way we could afford a tiny house (spend 65% of my income) is to live in a sink estate in a town and I don't want to bring my kids up there.

So where would you go? I have not done any research myself yet, although I am aware that sometimes the grass is greener and that perhaps the UK does have things going for it.

I always think of somewhere ridiculously picturesque, like the south of France. But then you need a job, right. So I bet living near a major town there is probably outlandishly expensive for the common man as well. And getting a job there is hard too due to there employment laws. Plus I only speak English.

Thoughts please?

Hi everyone,

I have read quite a few posts on here with people getting hacked off with the UK and are ready to leave. I sympathise with a lot of the comments and am getting fed up with the house prices in my area. The only way we could afford a tiny house (spend 65% of my income) is to live in a sink estate in a town and I don't want to bring my kids up there.

So where would you go? I have not done any research myself yet, although I am aware that sometimes the grass is greener and that perhaps the UK does have things going for it.

I always think of somewhere ridiculously picturesque, like the south of France. But then you need a job, right. So I bet living near a major town there is probably outlandishly expensive for the common man as well. And getting a job there is hard too due to there employment laws. Plus I only speak English.

Thoughts please?

Got a letter from the Canadian embassay last week telling me the wife and I had PR subject to medicals :) guess that answers your question...would consider NZ too, especially as the missus is a kiwi.

France = too many french

Spain = too many British chavs

Italy = too corrupt

Australia = too hot and boring

NZ = too remote and boring

USA = too same same

Canada = too hot then too cold

Asia / Africa / Latin America = great for visiting but not so for living. Why do you think their populations aspire to living in the West?

Middle East = where shall I start!

UK = where it's at, family, non extreme weather, culture, sense of humour, media, arts, diversity, central location and for most of us it's home...

Guest joeschmo
Hi everyone,

Thoughts please?

The south of France is lovely. I have had an apartment in Nice for several years now. If the Conservatives win the next election I shall seriously think about moving there full time. I do speak French though and can run my business from anywhere

Edited by joeschmo

Hi everyone,

Thoughts please?

Where in the uk do you live? Why not a cheaper part of England or Scotland?

Guest Parry aka GOD
The south of France is lovely. I have had an apartment in Nice for several years now. If the Conservatives win the next election I shall serionsly think about moving there full time. I do speak French though

Joe, are you saying Nice is nice?

Australia

California

South Africa

Canada

In that order.

Think you might find that none of those countries has much of a demand for bank traders, Charterhouse ;)

Seriously though, this post is all fine until you consider how you might actually earn a living in these countries... :unsure:

Think you might find that none of those countries has much of a demand for bank traders, Charterhouse ;)

Seriously though, this post is all fine until you consider how you might actually earn a living in these countries... :unsure:

I'm not planning on being working any more ;)

Although, that said, South Africa has a few big banks and the finance industry in Oz is doing pretty well.

WAMCO and PIMCO asset managers as well as BGI have offices in California. :D

Guest Parry aka GOD
:lol: sure am

I don't live in the UK, but if I was extremely rich I'd go for Florence.

I'm not planning on being working any more ;)

Although, that said, South Africa has a few big banks and the finance industry in Oz is doing pretty well.

WAMCO and PIMCO asset managers as well as BGI have offices in California. :D

I didnt realise that your palace in Kennington was worth that much? ;)

I think these countries have some traders of their own and visa restrictions though? :unsure:

Besides you were slaggin off PIMCO last week :P

As far as i can tell there are only three real finance centres in the world, NY, HK and London (lucky us...)

Guest Parry aka GOD

You lot do know you can get 4 year work permits in Bermuda right? Mine went in Friday.

I live in Berkshire, which is expensive. I studied engineering at university so I am in telecomms. Most of that work (the stuff that is left) is either in Cambridge or M4 centric. So I am competing with all the London fincance lot who hop on the train to collect their 100K of tax payers monery per yr. :rolleyes:

If I move, that means longer commute = less time with family. Maybe I need to adjust my expectations. If I want a house, live in the sticks, drive for 3 hours round trip per day to work.

Regarding France, silly question, but how much is the language a barrier for getting a job? I mean I did GSCE, but if you are willing to learn and do courses maybe they would have you if you have the right skills for the job?

I would seriously consider the Faroe Islands - Tórshavn and Klaksvik are big enough to have a reasonable cultural life, but the whole place is small enough to have a sense of community cohesion that no longer meaningfully exists here. Violent crime is virtually non-existent (the last murder on the islands took place in the 1950s). The problems are a very high cost of living and the fact that there are no jobs that I'm qualified to do. Given the link with Denmark the Faroes probably always be a lot more economically stable than Iceland, though.

I live in Berkshire, which is expensive. I studied engineering at university so I am in telecomms. Most of that work (the stuff that is left) is either in Cambridge or M4 centric. So I am competing with all the London fincance lot who hop on the train to collect their 100K of tax payers monery per yr. :rolleyes:

If I move, that means longer commute = less time with family. Maybe I need to adjust my expectations. If I want a house, live in the sticks, drive for 3 hours round trip per day to work.

Regarding France, silly question, but how much is the language a barrier for getting a job? I mean I did GSCE, but if you are willing to learn and do courses maybe they would have you if you have the right skills for the job?

No language barrier if you are close to fluent and the French recognise your qualifications... :blink:

I didnt realise that your palace in Kennington was worth that much? ;)

I think these countries have some traders of their own and visa restrictions though? :unsure:

Besides you were slaggin off PIMCO last week :P

As far as i can tell there are only three real finance centres in the world, NY, HK and London (lucky us...)

God knows what the place in Kennington is worth, I did pay the absolute top for it, but fortunately I don't really want to sell that... I'm just having work done on the house and the garden actually while builders are still cheap.

I think the thing is I woudn't go soon, so it would be for a change of pace. You are absolutely right that NY and London & to a lesser extent Tokyo (more than HK really) are the top spots, but I'd be happy to go and work in a bit more of a backwater after being in London for 7 years (10 if you include uni). I went to Sydney for the first time a few months ago and the pace there is so awesome, you can live a 20 min walk from the centre of town for what a place in the suburbs costs here.

Visa wouldn't be a problem for Aus, Canada or US, but I think for SA it could be tough. Anyway, it's all a pipe dream right now!!

Guest Parry aka GOD
Luxembourg!

Although, Mr Parry's Bermuda idea sounds interesting.

Yep, you get 4 years and that's your lot.

I have to go there to clean a cave of all bizarre things.