House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rover

Yet Another Newbie (or Convert!)

Evening Gents,

I'm considering buying gold in the near future, never done this before.

What form do you suggest for sheer liquidity, ease of buying/selling. After skimming the forum it seems Kruggerands are the favourite - do you agree? What weight? I have absorbed the £5k transaction limit.

Just how easy are they to resell? If for instance I personally bought at Bairds (London) - do they actually buy back at the quoted spot price 1 year later ? Apologies for my ignorance in such matters.

Any advice appreciated.

Evening Gents,

What form do you suggest for sheer liquidity, ease of buying/selling. After skimming the forum it seems Kruggerands are the favourite - do you agree? What weight? I have absorbed the £5k transaction limit.

Just how easy are they to resell? If for instance I personally bought at Bairds (London) - do they actually buy back at the quoted spot price 1 year later ? Apologies for my ignorance in such matters.

Any advice appreciated.

At the moment I'd buy anything with low premiums. Krugers, sovereigns. I like coins, but what quantities are you after?

Evening Gents,

Any advice appreciated.

You won't get them bought back at spot, a few percent under. Coins are easy to sell if you have a dealer nearby. Just taken them in and they'll pay you cash.

What to buy depends on personal preference, really. Krugers and Sovs are both good but, obviously, full Krugs mean you have to cash in six hundred quids worth at present if you need a small amount of cash.

Evening Gents,

Any advice appreciated.

You can buy commodity ETFs in gold etc unless you have no faith in the world financial system ;)

if you don't have any faith in the worlds financial system, buy a lot of tinned food and a shotgun :lol:

Guest spp
You can buy commodity ETFs in gold etc unless you have no faith in the world financial system ;)

Paper gold... do your homework first.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Cheers Gents,

I've absorbed alot of the forum over the day, thanks for your replies.

I' m 'cashing out' to a greater extent, from the FTSE - although I've got to say I've made some decent gains - I reckon an average of about 50% in about 3/4 months!!!!

Prevalent opinion seems to be the FTSE easing into abit of plateau with some bad news in the autumn - that said Barcs and HSBC didn't do bad, bleedin' leaches!

Seriously considering buying a few 5k purchases of physical gold. But I've an inherent caution to overcome - never held gold as an investment. Have to go to London over the next fortnight so I may pop to Bairds and buy a couple of Krugerrands to ease my mental block.

I notice the gold bugs and VI’s (like some guy from credit Suisse) suggests gold up to $2000/oz soon – I just don’t know <_<

Edited by Rover

Cheers Gents,

I've absorbed alot of the forum over the day, thanks for your replies.

I' m 'cashing out' to a greater extent, from the FTSE - although I've got to say I've made some decent gains - I reckon an average of about 50% in about 3/4 months!!!!

Prevalent opinion seems to be the FTSE easing into abit of plateau with some bad news in the autumn - that said Barcs and HSBC didn't do bad, bleedin' leaches!

Seriously considering buying a few 5k purchases of physical gold. But I've an inherent caution to overcome - never held gold as an investment. Have to go to London over the next fortnight so I may pop to Bairds and buy a couple of Krugerrands to ease my mental block.

I notice the gold bugs and VI’s (like some guy from credit Suisse) suggests gold up to $2000/oz soon – I just don’t know <_<

Baird's (aka Goldline) pretty good for Krugers right now at 609 (various years I assume) but bear in mind there are a selection of uncirculated 2009 1 ounce coins at Coininvest for the same money. I prefer clean Sovs myself. Why not buy a few sovs and a couple of Krugers and see how they feel in terms of storage and aesthetics? I can't see how you can go wrong will 10-15% of your 'cash' reserve in physical gold. I'm not a collector, but I found Krugers oddly underwhelming at first for a 600 quid coin.

Bear in mind also that even if we hit $1000-$1500/oz + soon, as you hint, it's the sterling value that's most relevant if you're cashing in FTSE gains ($2000 is BS in my view). A dollar collapse aint gonna make any of us rich if we bought using Sterling savings. For up-to-date prices I'd check the market tracker on taxfreegold.co.uk (which is taken from Kitco.com) or goldline.co.uk regularly to get a feel for the market before I wad on big time. BBC news/business/market data is also useful for currencies, oil and commodities to get an even fuller picture. My instinct FWIW is that we may see 550 GBP/oz or slightly less before September but not much less, which equates to a 585-90 Kruger being a fair target price for small volumes (just educated guesses, though). Good luck :)

Rover,

If you go to the pinned board you will find a list of suppliers of gold.

These are two more. HG have been used by a number of posters with no problems. BBP are a new outfit to most and I have only seen one report of their service (positive).

As they are in the jewelry quarter in B'ham it may be handy for you, certainly be useful if we could have more info on them, some of their items come in at a good price.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-bars/

http://hattongardenmetals.com/Gold_Bars_Bu...ars_Ingots.aspx

These are for info.

https://online.kitco.com/bullion/

http://www.lbma.org.uk/statistics_current.htm

http://www.invest.gold.org/sites/en/where_...amp;task=search

Happy stacking.