House Price Crash Forum
AvidFan

Warning: Peak Oil Is Here Now

Peak oil? Does that mean I have to buy an eco house which runs on wind or somesort? I know they are planning some eco towns, they're not that busy building houses right now though. As a country, we're too ******ed up to be affording to build houses, or new cars, or anything of any use. All the money is belong to the bankers and corporations. They sem happy to keep it for themselves right now. So peak oil needs to hold itself off for a good while yet. It did so in the 70s didn't it?

I'm glad you hate eating too then.

Thanks, I'm fully aware of the ramifications that's why I put all my worthless paper money into farm land while the insane clerics of conventional economic were valuing it at £4000 an acre.

Wasn't this supposed to be the perfect storm, low oil price at peak oil followed by a recovery in world demand, leading to oil prices going off the scale.

Wasn't this supposed to be the perfect storm, low oil price at peak oil followed by a recovery in world demand, leading to oil prices going off the scale.

What are you saying? Are you expecting new lows based on continuing economic collapse?

Guest The Relaxation Suite

North Sea oil is finished already, which is why the UK is approaching failed state status. It tried to convert to "world's financial centre" in the 1990s to make up the shortfall, but we all see how that worked out (criminal negligence, theft, fraud, global crash), so what next for the UK? Money moves to Singapore and HK, oil runs out, and massively ageing population and dwindling tax base.

And in all that people will tell you house prices will start climbing at 10% a year again. How?

What are you saying? Are you expecting new lows based on continuing economic collapse?

No, predictions were for a massive rise in oil prices as supply falls and demand increases.

Guest Steve Cook

Continuing economic collapse is the only thing that will keep oil prices low.

It's called demand destruction

And, even that will only buy us some time

Guest Steve Cook

This perfect storm is exactly what is coming

Excellent documentary film here at this link called Blind Spot, the adverts kick in every 10 mins but its not so bad cos they only last 20 seconds or so.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/blind_spot/

Blind Spot is a documentary film that illustrates the current energy crisis that our world is facing. Whatever measures of ignorance, greed, wishful thinking, we have put ourselves at a crossroads, which offer two paths with dire consequences. If we continue to burn fossil fuels we will choke the life out of the planet and if we don't our way of life will collapse.

Interviews include: William Catton Jr., Max Fraad Wolff, Richard Heinberg, Kenneth Deffeyes, Albert Bartlett, Roscoe Bartlett, James Hansen, David Pimentel, Joseph Tainter, David Korten, Jason Bradford, Elke Weber, Mary-Ann Hitt, Terry Tamminen, Ted Caplow and Derrick Jensen.

Guest Steve Cook
Excellent documentary film here at this link called Blind Spot, the adverts kick in every 10 mins but its not so bad cos they only last 20 seconds or so.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/blind_spot/

Blind Spot is a documentary film that illustrates the current energy crisis that our world is facing. Whatever measures of ignorance, greed, wishful thinking, we have put ourselves at a crossroads, which offer two paths with dire consequences. If we continue to burn fossil fuels we will choke the life out of the planet and if we don't our way of life will collapse.

Interviews include: William Catton Jr., Max Fraad Wolff, Richard Heinberg, Kenneth Deffeyes, Albert Bartlett, Roscoe Bartlett, James Hansen, David Pimentel, Joseph Tainter, David Korten, Jason Bradford, Elke Weber, Mary-Ann Hitt, Terry Tamminen, Ted Caplow and Derrick Jensen.

This is exactly what we face

It would be better for our long-term future (as well as the long-term future of the rest of life) if our civilisation collapses before our biosphere does

However, if we really f*ck it up, we'll get both

Edited by Steve Cook

This is exactly what we face

It would be better for our long-term future as well as the long-term future of the rest of life if our civilisation collapses before our biosphere does

I am really unsure of the effects, genuinely unsure, I can't understand why goverments support the view and do nothing about it. Keep producing carbon and the world ends soon, so lets build more airports, let have more cars, lets have more coal power stations. I simply don't get it, when the oil price went up Brown went to OPEC and asked them to pump more, it's like telling everyone smoking is bad and then askeing the tobacco companies to make more smokes.

Guest The Relaxation Suite
I am really unsure of the effects, genuinely unsure, I can't understand why goverments support the view and do nothing about it. Keep producing carbon and the world ends soon, so lets build more airports, let have more cars, lets have more coal power stations. I simply don't get it, when the oil price went up Brown went to OPEC and asked them to pump more, it's like telling everyone smoking is bad and then askeing the tobacco companies to make more smokes.

The evidence for man-induced global warming is extremely tenuous, that's why Govts. pay little attention to it. Temperatures have been dropping for some time now in conjunction with ever-rising CO2 levels, which some people are having a hard-time reconciling. The whole thing is an enormous control-mechanism to keep the populations of the world distracted while spinning round on their little hamster wheels.

Guest Steve Cook

They are not doing anything to ward off the coming energy crisis because there is nothing they can do.

At least not for the rest of us.

The deck hands are busy keeping the steerage-class passengers calm whilst the first-class passengers are busy manning the lifeboats.

Edited by Steve Cook

Guest Steve Cook
The evidence for man-induced global warming is extremely tenuous, that's why Govts. pay little attention to it. Temperatures have been dropping for some time now in conjunction with ever-rising CO2 levels, which some people are having a hard-time reconciling. The whole thing is an enormous control-mechanism to keep the populations of the world distracted while spinning round on their little hamster wheels.

Why would the promotion of a lie that encourages us to consume less be of any service to our ruling capitalist elites relying, as they do, on our continued and growing consumption?

Edited by Steve Cook

Why would the promotion of a lie that encourages us to consume less be of any service to our ruling capitalist elites relying, as they do, on our continued and growing consumption?

I watched that film V for vendetta the other night, the most chilling line from John Hurt's character was "we need to teach them that they need us", if you don't have a problem, then create one.

OMG

Those crafty bastards. Oil was the replacement for cheap labour. Labour has universally been kept cheap by slavery and more lately debt slavery. Look how the landlords tricked us into working to make the industrial revolution, look how the 3rd world has been kept poor by insurmountable debt and interest repayments. Now, just as they must have known, the cheapest labour (oil) was running out we have the largest number of people in the hugest amount of debt. I'm not that much of a believer in coincidence.

That's it, i'm buying for cash or renting for the rest of my life.

Guest Steve Cook
I watched that film V for vendetta the other night, the most chilling line from John Hurt's character was "we need to teach them that they need us", if you don't have a problem, then create one.

Oh yes. I have no illusions about how we are manipulated. It's just that if our ruling elites were to pick a new bogey man for us, I fail to see how they could have picked a worse one than one which tells us that we need to consume less.

Guest Steve Cook
OMG

Those crafty bastards. Oil was the replacement for cheap labour. Labour has universally been kept cheap by slavery and more lately debt slavery. Look how the landlords tricked us into working to make the industrial revolution, look how the 3rd world has been kept poor by insurmountable debt and interest repayments. Now, just as they must have known, the cheapest labour (oil) was running out we have the largest number of people in the hugest amount of debt. I'm not that much of a believer in coincidence.

That's it, i'm buying for cash or renting for the rest of my life.

Oil was cheap

Life will prove to be quite a lot cheaper still over the coming decades