House Price Crash Forum

Why Dual Income Amounts To Slavery

HOLA441
What a revelation you've just had!!! Now do you see another reason why 2 wages doesn't work. Why a woman who will cook proper food, i mean really cooking from ingredients like raw whole vegetables (i know very 19th century), is like gold. A woman who will keep a house nice and feed a man coming home from work is worth diamond jewellery?

If this were true I'd not be single still ... although there does seem to be a perception among people that I want to work and am independent .. no ... I didn't choose that. I HAVE to work, to pay the bills, to put a roof over my head, because no other bugg4h will do that for me.

I'd love to cook and clean and keep house .. I'd have cold beers waiting when the man came home and not even speak to him until he'd chilled out and rested from the commute home.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

As a single person, I am angry at two-income households because everything the 2nd one brings in is "play money" just for fun... and they've got each other. Then, when it comes to housing, they win hands down again because they have two incomes.

If I'd been in a couple I could have bought my first house when I was 20-25 instead of when I was 40.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

HOLA443

Oh Dear

Another evil, left wing fantasy exposed

Sadly, it is going to take decades to repair the damage done in the last 10 years

And in the meantime 3 or 4 generations will pay the price.

This is my recipe for happiness:

Man works and earns enough to support family

Wife has children and supports and nurtures them and husband

Both husband and wife love and respect each other and give equal value to their respective roles.

In my lifetime I have seen NO evidence that the above model can be bettered and plenty of evidence that it cannot.

Tin Hats on Everyone!

HOLA444
I agree.

The 'dream' of women having the 'freedom' to work is one big lie. All that happened was that house prices went up as couples competed with each other.

I'm not a sexist - but perhaps there should be a rule about only one person per household to work or something - but once out of the box, that damned genie is very tricky to put back in.

you cant do that

people need to realise what a con it is - all for the benefit of the bankers and the politicians

if the populace is struggling to pay the bills and keep a roof over their heads they dont really have much time to think about how the system works and revolt against it

and income tax is also a form of slavery

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

HOLA445
HOLA446

Feminism was a staged revolution to get another tax payer into the system, nothing more nothing less.

The ‘feminism’ movement thought they were empowering women but in fact they were doing the exact opposite and were manipulated terribly.

Now we have the situation that you talk of, both parents away from the kids earning two wages and STILL struggling; probably more so than if the family was earning only one wage.

Crazy!

HOLA447
As a single person, I am angry at two-income households because everything the 2nd one brings in is "play money" just for fun... and they've got each other. Then, when it comes to housing, they win hands down again because they have two incomes.

If I'd been in a couple I could have bought my first house when I was 20-25 instead of when I was 40.

Dare I say as a single person, if you were on a modest income you shouldn't really be able to afford a house and what's wrong with just buying an apartment?

In my opinion people shouldn't expect too much, apartments are the future because they are more space efficient and work well in cities. If you are single or in a couple without children there really is no reason to need a house.

Even if I had children I would still live in an apartment partly because I think a large apartment can be as big as a house anyway, just think a lot of those three bedroom houses are just a kitchen, living room and three bedrooms, with the rest of the house being taken up by dead space- corridors and stairs..

From a practical perspective it seems our small UK houses are no better than good sized apartments so unless you were wanting a larger house it seems to be more about a nesting instinct of owning your own peice of land than anything else.

I notice one of the excuses for buying a house that people can barely afford is usually because it offers the safety of ownership at the end of the 30 year mortgage, what they don't mention is that's at the cost of living the 30 best years of your life frugally like a monk, not to mention if they lose their jobs they could lose the house anyway.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Wife has children and supports and nurtures them and husband

Both husband and wife love and respect each other and give equal value to their respective roles.

In my lifetime I have seen NO evidence that the above model can be bettered and plenty of evidence that it cannot.

Tin Hats on Everyone!

Lest us not forget women will always be bitter that the man can't earn enough money to support them both in the first place. Women like security, they want a man who can provide for her and her family.

Edited by Saberu

HOLA4411
What actually happened in my experience is that you get to work 50 hours and do all the housework and then spend the weekends catching up on everything that should have happened in the week, ie reading, music practice with the children whilst he has a lie down from his busy week.

After 6 weeks with a househusband I wasn't sure whether to go for divorce or murder, packed him back off to work in the end.

Where there are a couple of babies/small children involved, it'd be great if all dads did house-husband duty for a month. At least it might stop them wondering what on earth the mothers do all day long.

Saw a great cartoon on this theme once. Man coming home to total chaos, woman in armchair saying: 'I thought the best way of showing you what on earth I do all day was not to do it.'

HOLA4412
Dare I say as a single person, if you were on a modest income you shouldn't really be able to afford a house and what's wrong with just buying an apartment?

In my opinion people shouldn't expect too much, apartments are the future because they are more space efficient and work well in cities. If you are single or in a couple without children there really is no reason to need a house.

Even if I had children I would still live in an apartment partly because I think a large apartment can be as big as a house anyway, just think a lot of those three bedroom houses are just a kitchen, living room and three bedrooms, with the rest of the house being taken up by dead space- corridors and stairs..

From a practical perspective it seems our small UK houses are no better than good sized apartments so unless you were wanting a larger house it seems to be more about a nesting instinct of owning your own peice of land than anything else.

I notice one of the excuses for buying a house that people can barely afford is usually because it offers the safety of ownership at the end of the 30 year mortgage, what they don't mention is that's at the cost of living the 30 best years of your life frugally like a monk, not to mention if they lose their jobs they could lose the house anyway.

No you wouldn't!!!

You'd have a private garden, so you can let the kids out to run riot and expend energy and have fun without having to chase them when they run off like when you're in a park.

An apartment with lovely secure grounds on the otherhand would be great, but incondusive with your space perspective.

HOLA4413
My OH came home at the weekend very worried about his job, thinks he will be made redundant by October.

I suggested that he could, for the short-term, be a househusband. It would give him some breathing space and some time to get some of his amazing business ideas off the ground.

At the moment I'm working 50+ hours a week and earning more than I could possibly spend every month, so I'm quite happy for him to do this - I would literally weep with gratitude to come home to a clean house and hot dinner.

Likewise, my situation could change and he could be the breadwinner 12 months.

The point is that we can manage on one income and not forced to do something we hate, that's undervalued etc. etc. If we needed two incomes just to pay the bills, we would literally be debt slaves.

FYI - This has been posted on here before. Well worth a watch. It's a lecture on the collapse of the middle classes, based on dual income households.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I am not angry at the two person households, I am angry at the banks for lending based on two salaries. Yes ok, that would mean that couples would have more disposable cash but it would also have put a break on houseprices and much of the speculation in the market we have seen.

HOLA4416

It's a shame that this thread perpetuates the myth that all men are crap and unhelpful around the house. Sure - some are, but so are some women. In my family we split the housework between us evenly. Sometimes I do the cleaning and dog walking and my wife does the cooking and the laundry, and sometimes we swap for a bit of a change.

We both agree that it would be nice if one of us didn't have to do salaried work so that they could keep house - doesn't really matter which one. Neither of us are under any illusion that being a housewife/househusband would be any less effort that going into work, although if one of us could stay home then each of us would have one job rather than one and a half.

HOLA4417
I am not angry at the two person households, I am angry at the banks for lending based on two salaries. Yes ok, that would mean that couples would have more disposable cash but it would also have put a break on houseprices and much of the speculation in the market we have seen.

+1

Couldn't agree more if I tried.

HOLA4418

Yes.. the idea of 'affordability' criteria - meaning that a dual income household can get a huge mortgage - is awful, since it means that the household cannot survive an income drop, which is near inevitable over a 25-year mortgage term, 25 years means job losses, having children, interest rate hikes, unexpected bills, etc.. which is why criteria for mortgages should be extremely conservative.

HOLA4419
It's a shame that this thread perpetuates the myth that all men are crap and unhelpful around the house. Sure - some are, but so are some women. In my family we split the housework between us evenly. Sometimes I do the cleaning and dog walking and my wife does the cooking and the laundry, and sometimes we swap for a bit of a change.

+1

The idea that all men are domestically challenged whilst all women are born meticulous homemakers is pure fantasy, and an outdated one with it.

HOLA4420
All I can say is thanks for being a realistic lady who wouldn't look down on her partner for being unemployed.

Just as women are now widely accepted in the workplace, it's important that men are accepted in the home, without being sneered on for not being the big manly man rawwwr dragging home the mammoth carcass each day, so to speak.

'men accepted at home'

who are you kidding. If we're talking about real men of course not, if you can't even provide for your family you're just a piece of vermin.

I'm surprised 'househusbands' have got enough testosterone to even get a female partner. Most men think these'househusbands' are pathetic excuses for a human. It sounds really harsh but thats what you'll find in any skilled profession or trade.

If you want to get out there and work you can, if the children haven't got their mothers they will more then likely grow up to be dysfunctional possibly leading to an increasingly fragmented and broken society and we don't want tha...hold on I wonder whats been happening for the last 20 years!

HOLA4421

The age of the dual career household will very soon be consigned to history. Off shoring, advances in technology and a flood of female workers competing for half as many jobs there were 15 years ago, means something will have to give.

It is also another reason why house prices will fall, and never recover their prices for a long long time.

HOLA4422
'men accepted at home'

who are you kidding. If we're talking about real men of course not, if you can't even provide for your family you're just a piece of vermin.

I'm surprised 'househusbands' have got enough testosterone to even get a female partner. Most men think these'househusbands' are pathetic excuses for a human. It sounds really harsh but thats what you'll find in any skilled profession or trade.

If you want to get out there and work you can, if the children haven't got their mothers they will more then likely grow up to be dysfunctional possibly leading to an increasingly fragmented and broken society and we don't want tha...hold on I wonder whats been happening for the last 20 years!

Another backward deluded fantasist! Your idealistic world has long gone, if you're unable or unwilling to adapt for what lies ahead then that's your problem. I'm sure the T-Rex harbored similar notions when he first saw those pesky little mammals crawling about! Or maybe the cave man who insisted that "tools are for wimps!"

HOLA4423

I have a very high paid, very high stress job.

Wifey stays at home.

However she sees other husbands (where both parents work) help with kids at home after work and expects me to do the same!

When i finish work i need to de-stress etc.

But she doesnt get it.. or is it me who doesnt get it?

HOLA4424
Another backward deluded fantasist! Your idealistic world has long gone, if you're unable or unwilling to adapt for what lies ahead then that's your problem. I'm sure the T-Rex harbored similar notions when he first saw those pesky little mammals crawling about! Or maybe the cave man who insisted that "tools are for wimps!"

I'm sorry you find the truth hard to deal with. It may reflect badly on you or your 'partner' but thats the reality.

Look at this thread: 25 years on encouraging people to not get married; encouraging 2 partners to work; and the end result increasingly dysfunctional children and couples now having to work just to buy some rubbish home out in chavland.

The strange thing is is that children have lost out by not growing up with their mothers and the feminist movement have destroyed the genuine freedom and choices women had in being mothers or choosing a career. When harriet 'the idiot' harman can say all women and especially others should be at work what message is she saying: that we should all live to work.

I am happy my children weren't bought up that way - I and my wife lived for our family and they will to for their children. It how successful families work. The 'new chavs' will just find it too difficult to have children and fortunately will be bred out ( except fot the underclass buts thats another story)!

HOLA4425
As a single person, I am angry at two-income households because everything the 2nd one brings in is "play money" just for fun

Totally unreasonable. What about the "Working Poor". There are plenty of couples of which both partners work and still they can hardly make ends meet.

What about a government that distributes benefits in a way that makes it more reasonable for a single mom to take tax credit on full-time childcare and leave the raising of her kid(s) to other people instead of offering decent child support until at least the kids have started school?

Ceinwyn