House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Top Gear, Shows Ending Tonight.

I thought the same, have posted elsewhere that I thought it felt like the end of the show. Maybe it was just the symbolism of the funeral in the scirocco ad playing on my mind and the whole pretext of how the world doesn't speed or driving enjoyment etc.

Guest DisposableHeroes
They need a new scriptwriter. It was decidedly average and much more contrived than usual.

Yes I agree the last few have been a bit flat, not spontaneous like they usually seem.

I thought the ending was good and thought provoking.

No funny remarks, just shots of a beautiful car and beautiful country side. It seemed to be saying we love and value both and accept the decline of the oil based combustion engine.

It's been getting a bit samey for the last few years but it's still the best entertainment show on TV, no way will they be axing it, i can't even think they'll be changing the presenters but that that might be what's needed next. They work well as a combo though so i doubt they'll mess with it yet. Please don't have a big nation chooses a new presenter phone in vote out thing. :angry: But lose the cool wall. Pointless and not funny.

Top Gear needs to have its reset button pushed a few times. It needs to return to be a programme about cars and motoring, rather than a yaa-boo-sucks banter show with a vaguely motoring theme.

It needs new presenters to replace the three jokers, and there needs to be a bit more serious content - more obout motoring news and issues to do with everyday driving, less fooling around.

If there was a gardening programme where the presenters competed to see whether it was quicker to kill off a healthy, productive vegetable plot with a flamethrower or a rotavator, it would soon lose popularity!!! Yet that's what Top Gear has been allowed to with its motoring content by the BBC.

Fifth Gear I think is a bit better than Top Gear - it's getting there, although they should possibly stop using the 'gear' theme now as lots of cars have a 6th Gear these days!

It needs new presenters to replace the three jokers, and there needs to be a bit more serious content - more obout motoring news and issues to do with everyday driving, less fooling around.

There's Fifth Gear for that.

I think the problem is they've done 13 series now and are struggling to come up with original ideas.

Guest DisposableHeroes
It's been getting a bit samey for the last few years but it's still the best entertainment show on TV, no way will they be axing it, i can't even think they'll be changing the presenters but that that might be what's needed next. They work well as a combo though so i doubt they'll mess with it yet. Please don't have a big nation chooses a new presenter phone in vote out thing. :angry: But lose the cool wall. Pointless and not funny.

It still makes me laugh. I certainly don't think it's the end of top gear, it's just they will be talking more about fast exotic electric / hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as well. I wish they would cover motorbikes too, they could have done a funny piece on airbag leathers.

Guest DisposableHeroes
I'd say Fifth Gear is closer to what you want but I do like the format of Top Gear although its better watching it than being in the audience standing around all afternoon and you would be surprised at how much gets cut.

Still I cant wait to drive that Aston as one of my customers is getting that model to reduce his tax bill.

Not a fan of their sarcastic humour on Fifth Gear and that screechy Vicky Bulter....

I never knew VW ads were considered good. Cant remember any. I remember the Honda accord advert though.

Not sure how you would advertise a scirocco, just looks like a golf with flared wheelarches imo. Should have made it retro IMO, like the yanks are doing with the Mustang/camaro/challenger.

I never knew VW ads were considered good. Cant remember any. I remember the Honda accord advert though.

Not sure how you would advertise a scirocco, just looks like a golf with flared wheelarches imo. Should have made it retro IMO, like the yanks are doing with the Mustang/camaro/challenger.

The VW Golf ad in the 1980's is one of the most famous car ads ever IMHO! This is the one where the Princess Di lookalike walks down the road throwing away gifts from her hubby (because he's obviously done something bad to her) and then gets to the car keys, which she decides to keep. She then drives away in a Golf with the tag line 'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf".

I forgot about the old ad but having just seen a "I've got into Gold" thread on the main board it reminded me of the bloke who "got into gold just as everybody left it" :lol:

There's Fifth Gear for that.

I think the problem is they've done 13 series now and are struggling to come up with original ideas.

Problem I think is that the series' come pretty think and fast. Maybe it needs a good 12 months off the telly as it is drifting from what it was originally. Still one of the best shows on TV though.

The VW Golf ad in the 1980's is one of the most famous car ads ever IMHO! This is the one where the Princess Di lookalike walks down the road throwing away gifts from her hubby (because he's obviously done something bad to her) and then gets to the car keys, which she decides to keep. She then drives away in a Golf with the tag line 'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf".

It goes back much,much further than that.In the 60's the original Beetle was advertised as being ugly and a virtue made of that,stressing the reliability.My first road car was a '55 1132cc Beetle,bought for £25 in 1969.65mph top speed/cruising speed and 40mpg.My old man hated the Hitler connection and wanted me to have a Morris Minor. I said "F*** that 800cc?"

electric/hydrogen cars could be awesome in the future

+ 1

I think they will probably wipe the floor with old school IC down the line.

Guest joeschmo

Thank god that grumpy,fat, Tory,smug, sexist, homophobic, middle aged man will be off our screens. He personifies what is so horrible about so many British middle aged men.

Thank god that grumpy,fat, Tory,smug, sexist, homophobic, middle aged man will be off our screens. He personifies what is so horrible about so many British middle aged men.

Yep, and you fell for it!! He's a self confessed caricature, you'd have to be an absolute imbecile not to realise this...oh wait you are!

Hmmm, slagging off the most popular presenter of the most popular factual television program on British TV today. You've got your finger on the pulse there son, just like those t#ats in Downing street that your constantly defending :lol:

Guest joeschmo
Yep, and you fell for it!! He's a self confessed caricature, you'd have to be an absolute imbecile not to realise this...oh wait you are!

unfortunately, many men seem to ape his behaviour/views as though they are acceptable in modern Britain

If there was a gardening programme where the presenters competed to see whether it was quicker to kill off a healthy, productive vegetable plot with a flamethrower or a rotavator, it would soon lose popularity!!! Yet that's what Top Gear has been allowed to with its motoring content by the BBC.

However they would if it gained in popularity which is what happened with Top Gear - why would they change the format and lose millions of viewers to satisfy the wants of a couple of hundred thousand viewers?

Guest DisposableHeroes
unfortunately, many men seem to ape his behaviour/views as though they are acceptable in modern Britain

No they don't. They just find it refreshing to see people not pretending to be bloody PC all the time.

Don't you remember all the famous actors banging on about their Honda Prius's, having just flown around the world to promote their latest drivel.

Prince Charles pontification about the environment whilst flying via helicopter back to his opulent mansion enjoying the technological fineries of life.

I find their humour funny most of all because it is very self deprecating towards themselves and each other.