House Price Crash Forum
Barb E Dahl

Went To A Homebuilder Today About A House...

We put in an offer 6 months ago. Didn't like how the negotiations went and told them we were prepared to wait it out because we knew prices had further to fall. How right we were!

I live in the South-East btw. Popped in today, ready to hand over a deposit for a property that's come up which fits our criteria in every way. They've sold around 20 houses in the past 6 months so we knew if we really wanted it we would have to go for it. Also the price has dropped 25%.

However, things didn't go to plan. Loved the property as expected. However the woman who took us around was incredibly arrogant and rude. Firstly she kept laughing at us when taking our details. She said 'Are you still renting?' We replied 'Yes' and she burst out laughing. You may think I am joking, I am still in shock myself by what happened. My husband and I just looked at each other trying to understand why that would make her laugh so much.

She then told us that we couldn't negotiate at all on the price as it was already low enough. She made numerous other remarks along the way. Part of me wanted to say something but then the other part was telling me not to rock the boat because we really like the property.

We left incredibly confused. I was half tempted to contact their head office and tell them what had just happened. My husband seems to think that she was bitter about the previous sale not going through. I just think she is a loon!

Sorry, needed to air off a bit!

Sounds like you should negotiate on the price just to piss her off. Although it sounds like you may have got too emotionally involved in the house already!

How many have sold in the past two months? And where did you get your sales data from?

What's the betting she lives in an overpriced dwelling nailed to a big mortgage? Wishes she was renting, so laughing at you would have made her feel better about the poo she is in.

Sorry but the first instance of her being rude I would have just walked out.

After I had called her a stupid arrogant ***** of course.

+1 What a stupid leech of a women.

We put in an offer 6 months ago. Didn't like how the negotiations went and told them we were prepared to wait it out because we knew prices had further to fall. How right we were!

I live in the South-East btw. Popped in today, ready to hand over a deposit for a property that's come up which fits our criteria in every way. They've sold around 20 houses in the past 6 months so we knew if we really wanted it we would have to go for it. Also the price has dropped 25%.

However, things didn't go to plan. Loved the property as expected. However the woman who took us around was incredibly arrogant and rude. Firstly she kept laughing at us when taking our details. She said 'Are you still renting?' We replied 'Yes' and she burst out laughing. You may think I am joking, I am still in shock myself by what happened. My husband and I just looked at each other trying to understand why that would make her laugh so much.

She then told us that we couldn't negotiate at all on the price as it was already low enough. She made numerous other remarks along the way. Part of me wanted to say something but then the other part was telling me not to rock the boat because we really like the property.

We left incredibly confused. I was half tempted to contact their head office and tell them what had just happened. My husband seems to think that she was bitter about the previous sale not going through. I just think she is a loon!

It's a ploy to make it appear as if they are relaxed about selling the houses.

I'd offer 20% below whatever they're asking.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

She must think you a gullable. Prices on large purchases are always negotiable. You could tell her what you want to pay and say it is not negotiable too. Do not accept her words, in laying down the law she shows that in her mind she is the master and you are her underling. Avoid being dominated by doing it back, it will create friction but if they parties respect each other negotiation can begin.

Guest happy?

Leave it. Go on holiday. Return in to it in early October (it'll still be there) make a sensible offer tell them it's not open to negotiation but you must be in by Christmas. That'll take the smile off her face.

the market has changed over the past few months

i was putting in cheeky bids a few months ago and they were being considered

they're now laughed at

i dont know where all the buyers are coming from but since march and qe and zero rates and the recovery in stockmarket there is increased confidence from sellers

they dont need to sell and are only selling at higher prices and there are a few people scared enough by the govt wiping out their savings to pay higher prices than they would have had to in march

sorry to say but it's true... i'm in the same boat

New builds are where the bargains are at the moment... owner / occupiers are going to hold on for as long as it takes before dropping prices, but there are some great deals on new builds as developers are desperate for the cashflow.

As for the bint... bizarre. Psychologically scarred from spending the last 6 months supplementing the income with "personal services" perhaps?

i dont know where all the buyers are coming from but since march and qe and zero rates and the recovery in stockmarket there is increased confidence from sellers

Its very very simple. A lot of canny folk sold either at or just before the top of the market. They've seen prices drop enough now to come back in with a tidy profit.

the market has changed over the past few months

i was putting in cheeky bids a few months ago and they were being considered

they're now laughed at

they dont need to sell and are only selling at higher prices and there are a few people scared enough by the govt wiping out their savings to pay higher prices than they would have had to in march

sorry to say but it's true... i'm in the same boat

And you don't need to buy

How much money is 25% discount from the price 6 months ago out of curiosity.

Some people are just annoying. Don't let her put you off doing what is right for you. If you really want this house you should go for it it's not like you're going to be living next door to her. Still try and haggle though.

I think most good sales staff can suss a timewaster/messer out in under 1 minute.

I doubt you really have the means to purchase and she could tell. Good on her for humiliating you. :lol:

Nah, extreme rudeness is just a common trait of those involved in selling property.

The majority of them are kunts.

Nah, extreme rudeness is just a common trait of those involved in selling property.

The majority of them are kunts.

Or maybe some of them are just trying to make a living like you and me?

FFS - tolerance isnt really welcomed here is it!

you stink of p1ss, weebag :lol:

I would have gone mental, I think you are crazy for not reacting to such a rude idiot. You have to put these cretins in their place otherwise we will sleepwalk into a society with no polite people. I don't know your circumstances but you seem to have gotten your heart set on a property and now you are getting stuck in a hole.

Let all the cash buyers etc. shoot their load off a year early and wait for a better opportunity. We will be at 1 in 10 in 6 months.

I am still trying to work out how come you are even considering dealing with such a person.

I think most good sales staff can suss a timewaster/messer out in under 1 minute.

I doubt you really have the means to purchase and she could tell. Good on her for humiliating you. :lol:

Hmm just a few days ago I accused you of being nastier and it seems now that it is true.

Bloody ignorant bitch! Take heart, that with her attitude problem she is unlikely to sell very much. Tell me where she is (I'm in the South East) I'll lead her a merry dance !! And I would, just for the hell of it.

I'd bypass her & speak to Head Office telling them you find her uninformative/negative and offensive, but would like to discuss the property with someone else. I refuse point blank to deal with arrogant, ignorant people. And remember, the bigger they are (or think they are), the harder they fall !! If she's supposed to be selling houses, she needs to be professional,friendly and polite at all times Goodluck if you feel the time is right for you.

the woman who took us around was incredibly arrogant and rude. Firstly she kept laughing at us when taking our details. She said 'Are you still renting?' We replied 'Yes' and she burst out laughing. You may think I am joking, I am still in shock myself by what happened. My husband and I just looked at each other trying to understand why that would make her laugh so much.

I must say my first temptation would be to be rude back and storm out (something I did to an annoying Estate Agent when I was 22).

However, having got a bit older, I realise that this reaction won't make her any less rude and won't help me find a house I want.

I would be prepared to go back - it might be a different salesperson another day - and to negotiate. Of course she says she won't lower the price, but of course they will if it doesn't sell.

Difference is, I don't need to lie to people or be rude to them in order to make a living.

I'm sure you don't either. ;)

+1