House Price Crash Forum

Found The House I Want... But The Bloody Estate Agent...

HOLA441

Ok, over the last 6 months or so I would say I have found maybe 2/3 houses in my budget that fulfil my requirements... that being 140k-145k with my 25% deposit and a house having 2/3 bedrooms with space for a garage or to extend somepoint in the future.

A few months ago I saw this house up for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-13035252.html

It was originally up for 140k, I was 'registered' with the agent prior to this house coming up for sale but I never got any call saying ''we have the perfect house for you'' I just stumbled across it in my usual searches and calls... THe first time it was up for sale it was SSTC, so i was a bit annoyed I had missed out on it. I managed to pump the agent, Elliott, for a bit of info and found out it was up for sale due to the sellers divorcing.

Elliott said offers had been accepted then declined as the husband wasn't happy with the price etc and would make his mind up when back from holiday. Agent said he had cash buyers wanting it etc and had lots of interest. I pushed for a viewing being what I beleive quite a good buyer being a FTB with decent deposit etc... but nope, it was off the market.

Anyhow, I thought ''more will come up'' and left it be. I hadn't had the chance to do much research recently on what comes up on the market due to being busy at work. I normally check rightmove on a daily basis and have given up ringing agents as tbh, from my research NOTHING is coming up in BSE that fulfils my requirement. All I see is prices going up with even less coming on the market.

I managed to have a quick look yesterday evening and lo and behold, the property was back up with the original agents! WICKED!

It was quite late at night, so I had to ring the agent this morning at 9am at work. Spoke to Elliott again, who said it was back on and I had to go through the whole ''this is my situation'' again to explain I was a SERIOUS buyer... Elliott said he would ring the seller and try and arrange a viewing for me. I told him I'd like ot view it today, and with my work I am flexible to view whenever so let me know as soon as possible. Elliott said the previos sale had fallen through due to a mortgage not being possible for the buyer... (so was he lying before?)

Get called back at 09:10 saying he can't reach the seller as she is at work. From my conversation the husband has moved out now, so it appeared the wife was the ''seller'' so to speak who would sort out viewings. I thought fair enough, and waited for a call.

Had no call all morning so called at about 1pm, spoke to someone else who said Elliott was out, I asked about if a viewing had been sorted and they said there was no note of this on their system. I asked them to get Elliott to ring me back when he gets back in. I appreciate he may well have other viewings on different properties etc.

Got no call. I rang back at half three and Elliott immediately picked up. Asked what the score was and Elliott said thee had been two offers above the asking price of 145k and hadn't had a reply from the seller about whether she wanted to continue with viewings or accept an offer.

Said it would probably be all sorted by Monday but if he got a response by the end of play today he would ring me back. Surprise surprise no call. I don't expect one on Monday either going by the track record.

Just find it so frustrating... Agent never calls me back, never notifys me of any properties they have that would be of interest, but do send me out their shite weekly leaflet showcasing all the ''latest'' properties... None fitting my requirements... and have been on the market for about a year!!!

Am i being totally over the top here? I am kinda pissed off as to be honest, I would have expected a call explaining ''i cna't get hold of her'' at late morning or something and at least let me know what the score is? OR am i well off of the mark?

I just don't get it, I earn 32k a year, have zero debt, no credit to pay on cars etc, I have a 25% deposit but even having ot pay over 145k for this house would be quite a lot in my eyes...

I think it is well priced for what it is, in the area, and the space it has outside etc... it is relatively rare in my area... but how the ****** do people affor this? I know I am at a bit on a bit of a loser being a single buyer with no wife/gf etc but is it too much to ask to be rung and told what is going on?!?

This would obviously be the biggest financial decision of my life, and no doubt it would earn the agent a bit of cash... so why don't they seem to care about a bit of common courtesy?

Really fed up, nothing on the market, agents are bell-ends, always seem to be one step behind... :(

*end of rant*

Edited by seb197

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Go and talk to the house owner directly.

See if you can get friendly and let them know what your offer is.

Let them know that the agent hasn't been helpful and that you'd happily buy the house directly.

Give them a serious timeframe.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Go and talk to the house owner directly.

See if you can get friendly and let them know what your offer is.

Let them know that the agent hasn't been helpful and that you'd happily buy the house directly.

Give them a serious timeframe.

+1

The agent is a ***** and is giving you the runaround. Don't deal via him. See the vendor direct. Let your money talk.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Ok, over the last 6 months or so I would say I have found maybe 2/3 houses in my budget that fulfil my requirements... that being 140k-145k with my 25% deposit and a house having 2/3 bedrooms with space for a garage or to extend somepoint in the future.

A few months ago I saw this house up for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-13035252.html

It was originally up for 140k, I was 'registered' with the agent prior to this house coming up for sale but I never got any call saying ''we have the perfect house for you'' I just stumbled across it in my usual searches and calls... THe first time it was up for sale it was SSTC, so i was a bit annoyed I had missed out on it. I managed to pump the agent, Elliott, for a bit of info and found out it was up for sale due to the sellers divorcing.

Elliott said offers had been accepted then declined as the husband wasn't happy with the price etc and would make his mind up when back from holiday. Agent said he had cash buyers wanting it etc and had lots of interest. I pushed for a viewing being what I beleive quite a good buyer being a FTB with decent deposit etc... but nope, it was off the market.

Anyhow, I thought ''more will come up'' and left it be. I hadn't had the chance to do much research recently on what comes up on the market due to being busy at work. I normally check rightmove on a daily basis and have given up ringing agents as tbh, from my research NOTHING is coming up in BSE that fulfils my requirement. All I see is prices going up with even less coming on the market.

I managed to have a quick look yesterday evening and lo and behold, the property was back up with the original agents! WICKED!

It was quite late at night, so I had to ring the agent this morning at 9am at work. Spoke to Elliott again, who said it was back on and I had to go through the whole ''this is my situation'' again to explain I was a SERIOUS buyer... Elliott said he would ring the seller and try and arrange a viewing for me. I told him I'd like ot view it today, and with my work I am flexible to view whenever so let me know as soon as possible. Elliott said the previos sale had fallen through due to a mortgage not being possible for the buyer... (so was he lying before?)

Get called back at 09:10 saying he can't reach the seller as she is at work. From my conversation the husband has moved out now, so it appeared the wife was the ''seller'' so to speak who would sort out viewings. I thought fair enough, and waited for a call.

Had no call all morning so called at about 1pm, spoke to someone else who said Elliott was out, I asked about if a viewing had been sorted and they said there was no note of this on their system. I asked them to get Elliott to ring me back when he gets back in. I appreciate he may well have other viewings on different properties etc.

Got no call. I rang back at half three and Elliott immediately picked up. Asked what the score was and Elliott said thee had been two offers above the asking price of 145k and hadn't had a reply from the seller about whether she wanted to continue with viewings or accept an offer.

Said it would probably be all sorted by Monday but if he got a response by the end of play today he would ring me back. Surprise surprise no call. I don't expect one on Monday either going by the track record.

Just find it so frustrating... Agent never calls me back, never notifys me of any properties they have that would be of interest, but do send me out their shite weekly leaflet showcasing all the ''latest'' properties... None fitting my requirements... and have been on the market for about a year!!!

Am i being totally over the top here? I am kinda pissed off as to be honest, I would have expected a call explaining ''i cna't get hold of her'' at late morning or something and at least let me know what the score is? OR am i well off of the mark?

I just don't get it, I earn 32k a year, have zero debt, no credit to pay on cars etc, I have a 25% deposit but even having ot pay over 145k for this house would be quite a lot in my eyes...

I think it is well priced for what it is, in the area, and the space it has outside etc... it is relatively rare in my area... but how the ****** do people affor this? I know I am at a bit on a bit of a loser being a single buyer with no wife/gf etc but is it too much to ask to be rung and told what is going on?!?

This would obviously be the biggest financial decision of my life, and no doubt it would earn the agent a bit of cash... so why don't they seem to care about a bit of common courtesy?

Really fed up, nothing on the market, agents are bell-ends, always seem to be one step behind... :(

*end of rant*

Its a supply and demand issue, there are more buyers out there than quality vendors, exclude the dross thats been kicking around on the market for over a year, any new stuff coming on that has a home report and is properly priced, ie 5 to 10 percent down from peak bubble prices, is highly sought after.

This is what is causing and will continue to push up prices, as the old dross is removed from the market, and rented out, so all the rubbish goes to the renter brigade, whilst the quality stuff is snapped up, and turned into a home.

Still from what you say i am suspicious that Elliot passed the lead on to somenone with a brown paper bag to give him, and deliberatly squeezed you out the loop.

Best you go and knock the door and express your interest direct to the vendor.

HOLA448
I am a complete new comer to this house buying situation. so am not really up on the etiquette of this.

Is this a common thing for potential buyers to drop letters or go and knock on the door of sellers?

Not usually, but the EA sounds like an incompetent idiot.

The EA works solely for the seller; you have no loyalty/contract with him so bypass him if you really want the place.

HOLA449
I am a complete new comer to this house buying situation. so am not really up on the etiquette of this.

Is this a common thing for potential buyers to drop letters or go and knock on the door of sellers?

In my experience, it is the ONLY way to get the house you want. Estate Agents are scum. Leave them well alone.

Never, ever, reveal to an Estate Agent that you really want a property. They will do everything they can to talk the price up. I have never understood this mentality. They are working on commission - between 1-2% of the sale price. To my mind, it is insanity in the current market that they are trying to get an extra £100-£150 out of the commission dealwhen a willing and ABLE buyer has offered a sensible price. (There aren't too many of those around at the moment).

Steer clear of the Estate Agent. They are merely over-paid photocopier operatives.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Not usually, but the EA sounds like an incompetent idiot.

The EA works solely for the seller; you have no loyalty/contract with him so bypass him if you really want the place.

No. From the OP, the EA has already been caught out lying...he sounds like he is saving the house for one of his mates.

HOLA4412

we all know agents can bend the truth... ramp it up a bit.

i reckon he did have offers first time around from cash buyers, but more like at 125k ish which were rejected. just been talking it up as clearly the buyer from the first time around couldn't get a mortgage approved, who knows why, bad credit, small deposit, heck the hosue could have some issues... but it wasn't a cash buyer buying it...

why tell me there have been offers ''over the asking price''? to me that sounds odd... surely if you were buying a house the most you'd offer is the asking price? seems all a bit lunacy to me...

my plan was to offer 135k and try and negotiate to 138/139/140k figures. but i guess this is irrelevent now with offers over 145k as tbh, that is pushing me as i don't think the house is worth more than 145k.

HOLA4413

There are no rules.

If you want the house and the agent is not letting you get your foot in the door - go knock on the door and offer to buy it.

HOLA4414

you can do whatever you wish, sell through an agent, sell with a poster in the post office window, whatever.

sadly, some agents havea sole agency so they get commission whatever the method.

HOLA4415

You've got nothing to lose by contacting the seller directly. They might be able to save on the EA's fee too. However we have found that ddivorce cases are really tricky. We have made offers and they have been rejected with the house still on the market. What often seems to happen is that they keep it on the market until one partner buys the other out. Good luck!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Still from what you say i am suspicious that Elliot passed the lead on to somenone with a brown paper bag to give him, and deliberatly squeezed you out the loop.

Best you go and knock the door and express your interest direct to the vendor.

It does sound like an under the counter deal going on.

HOLA4418

Fvck etiquette this is business if it's legal you can do it!

That said be polite with the owner as this is more likely to get what you want

PS Can you sit on your money 'til Sept 10 things house price situation will be loads clearer

Buy a sports car and move into a shared house with girls and start working your way through them :lol:

HOLA4419

yeah i can sit on my cash till whenever really.

i live in a spacious first floor flat with a lodger so costs me under £400 all in a month, so is el cheapo (so i can save). even have a brick shed for the pedal bike! So i am relatively content with my situation.

I don't want a modern house, as they never come with any garden space/drive way/garage anymore. only get a garage block... seems crazy sense. all the new developments seem so close up and literally built almost on top of each other!

there are a lot of period houses in my town but you get no parking normally, a garage is especially rare. this location is just on the outskirts of my town so i am happy with thta compromise to get the location, but finding houses like this seem so rare with my research into it.

i think i will consider approaching the seller direct with a door knock but do feel a bit uneasy about it! got images of being told ot get lost and chased off their land!!! but heck, if i do, i guess that kinda says don't bother with this one.

HOLA4420

I'd be round there tomorrow morning (not too early on a Sunday, very politely advise you are looking for a house & in a position to move & could you possibly view the property? bypass the agent, he appears to be a tosser. You are the buyer - you are in control! or damn well should be.

I did this two weeks ago & got to view there & then!! If vendor wants to sell, they will likely accommodate you

By the way - I would no way post a link to a house I possibly wanted!! It really does look like a lovely location!! I'd keep the link to myself....Whose to say somebody else isnt reading this thread who the house appeals to also?

P.S. Wrong county for me!

HOLA4421

Estate agents are still desperate to get you to get your mortgage through their friendly mortgage adviser. They obviously get commission/backhander/fee for introducing you to their mate.

A couple of years ago my parents (cash buyers) offered asking price on a property. Agent told them that the seller had the exact same offer but from somebody in a better position. How can someone be better than a cash buyer, ready to move at any time! My parents were flabbergasted but got on with looking around for another property. A couple of months later my father was driving past the property and noticed a 'For Sale' sign up. He stopped the car and the vendor was in the garden. My father spoke to him and introduced himself as a previous hopeful purchaser and asked what had gone wrong with the 'preferred' buyer. The chap (who was relocating up north for a job) was very affable and told my dad that although the two offers were identical the agent advised him to proceed with the other potential buyer as the estate agent had arranged the mortgage for the other purchasers through the agents' own affiliated mortgage broker and was therefore more reliable. The chap was hopping mad that the chain had broken down and said he wished he had stuck to his gut feeling and ignored the agent and sold to my parents. He then asked if my father was still interested but by then my parents had put an offer in on another property. The property to this date has never been sold and I have seen it come up for rent at least 3 times since then.

I went to view several properties last week. I have a very small mortgage and wish to be shot of it. My buyer is a cash buyer and wants to move fast. I spoke to one agent on the properties I wished to view and explained that I would be buying with no mortgage. He immediately suggested I spoke to his financial adviser. This was before I had even indicated which two properties I wished to look at. I told him no. Towards the end of the conversation when I had fixed up viewing times he again suggested that I should make an appointment with his 'mortgage guy'. I asked him why on earth would I need to speak to a mortgage adviser if I would not be requiring a mortgage. He suggested it would be a good idea. I completely ignored him and made the arrangements to meet him at the properties the next day. Towards the end of the first viewing he again bought up the mortgage adviser. I could not believe it and told him he was a complete idiot.

Many agents are only really interested in you as a purchaser if they are taking a cut of your mortgage debt. Therefore although they are supposedly acting in the sellers best interests they are not. A cash buyer or someone who has already got a mortgage in place is not that interesting to a vast swathe of agents.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest KingCharles1st
You're all wrong.

It's a 'matrimonial'.

Wife is in the house and doesn't want to leave it.

The house is only notionally on the market.

Move on.

Simples...

I was just going to post the same...

Tell the woman's SOLICITOR your intent to buy, in writing, delivered by REGISTERED POST- with a second copy going to the divorce courts - that ought to do it.

And while you're at it- leave a lighted crap filled envelope on the doorstep of the Estate Agent.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425