House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seydel

Short But Alarming Conversation With A Stranger

About 30 seconds after sitting down on a train yesterday the guard hurried towards me to check my ticket, approximately two minutes after one of his colleagues did likewise on the platform. I muttered something about "things getting ridiculous."

The guy opposite caught my eye before he gazed upwards. Stuck to the ceiling was a domed CCTV camera, one of several spaced about five feet apart throughout the carriage.

"Yeah, I said with a sigh, "it's like the set of Big Brother."

In an instant he responded in a matter-of-fact way that "this is nothing compared to what's planned to try and keep some sort of order."

"Oh," I replied, more than a little intrigued.

"Yes," he continued in the same deadpan, authorative manner, "this economy will collapse soon as it's been timed to for many years."

With a trace of sarcasm I enquired when's soon.

As quick as a flash, "between the middle of this September and the middle of this October," came his reply.

"Do you know the plan?" I asked.

"Some of it but by no means all, few do," he opined in a different and hushed melancholy tone.

"What part are you familiar with?" Said I while inching my head closer as if he was about to reveal the whereabouts of some hidden treasure.

"Well," he said almost inaudibly, "well (after clearing his throat), it'll be a financial Armageddon, so bad that they'll use it as a pretext to impose the world's first cashless society. Rumours will soon surface of police forces cancelling all leave during that period. Get your savings out [of the bank] now and turn it into tangible assets before its value falls off a cliff is my advice to you."

He uttered that in a way which suggested to me that he'd said too much and wasn't about to add anything on the subject so I didn't enquire further.

Guest anorthosite

Did you tell him about our off topic forum? Although it might be a bit over the top for him.

You were sitting with a nutter.

Well, he struck me as anything but a nutter. Without speaking to him I might have guessed that he was a doctor. Whatever he is, I'd bet he's no Sky One viewer.

I posted an article earlier in the Flu Pandemic thread which quotes the Greece Health Minister saying: "We decided that the entire population, all citizens and residents, without any exception, will be vaccinated against the flu."

I daresay that a typical Greek citizen might have thought that a stranger on a train telling him he faces the prospect in the months ahead of being strapped to a table to be forcibly injected with a vaccine that he'd previously declined was also something of a nutcase.

I imagine that he would have believed that cash would be removed from the Greek economy before that scenario.

" Get your savings out [of the bank] now and turn it into tangible assets before its value falls off a cliff is my advice to you."

Estate agents are getting really desperate, aren't they?

Guest theboltonfury
About 30 seconds after sitting down on a train yesterday the guard hurried towards me to check my ticket, approximately two minutes after one of his colleagues did likewise on the platform. I muttered something about "things getting ridiculous."

The guy opposite caught my eye before he gazed upwards. Stuck to the ceiling was a domed CCTV camera, one of several spaced about five feet apart throughout the carriage.

"Yeah, I said with a sigh, "it's like the set of Big Brother."

In an instant he responded in a matter-of-fact way that "this is nothing compared to what's planned to try and keep some sort of order."

"Oh," I replied, more than a little intrigued.

"Yes," he continued in the same deadpan, authorative manner, "this economy will collapse soon as it's been timed to for many years."

With a trace of sarcasm I enquired when's soon.

As quick as a flash, "between the middle of this September and the middle of this October," came his reply.

"Do you know the plan?" I asked.

"Some of it but by no means all, few do," he opined in a different and hushed melancholy tone.

"What part are you familiar with?" Said I while inching my head closer as if he was about to reveal the whereabouts of some hidden treasure.

"Well," he said almost inaudibly, "well (after clearing his throat), it'll be a financial Armageddon, so bad that they'll use it as a pretext to impose the world's first cashless society. Rumours will soon surface of police forces cancelling all leave during that period. Get your savings out [of the bank] now and turn it into tangible assets before its value falls off a cliff is my advice to you."

He uttered that in a way which suggested to me that he'd said too much and wasn't about to add anything on the subject so I didn't enquire further.

When the lizard people come, they always make sure that ticket inspectors are in on the plan.

Guest theboltonfury
It's a nice story, and well told.

But it lacks a kicker line - something like: "...and when I looked back, the seat was empty."

I suspect the whole incident never took place.

Guest theboltonfury
I should add that I have a nasty feeling that lots of this 'story' will prove spot on.

You said the exact same thing last year. One day you'll be right, just keep saying it enough.

You said the exact same thing last year. One day you'll be right, just keep saying it enough.

I've said consistently that I believe 'things' will happen between now (or a year ago) and 2011. Started getting ready for the events of the last year or two in early 2000.

Guest theboltonfury
I've said consistently that I believe 'things' will happen between now (or a year ago) and 2011. Started getting ready for the events of the last year or two in early 2000.

not exactly sticking your neck out! Things will happen. I bet they will.

Why do people on here expect other people to define specific dates for "things to happen"?

Does it make a point less valid if a date is not defined?

Guest theboltonfury
Why do people on here expect other people to define specific dates for "things to happen"?

Yes. There will be an ice age in the next 5000 years. My 10 month old could predict that.

Not half!

For instance, if a doctor told you that you are going to die, then you might act differently than if the same doctor had said that you are going to die within 3 months.

Yes. There will be an ice age in the next 5000 years. My 10 month old could predict that.

You have a 10 month old who understands ice ages and their frequency! Wow! Spooky!

Can you ask it how much gold will be next year, please?

Not half!

For instance, if a doctor told you that you are going to die, then you might act differently than if the same doctor had said that you are going to die within 3 months.

:rolleyes:

So basically the doctor has no right to say "if things continue on the current path your condition will deteriorate significantly at some point in the near to mid-term future".

You would thus expect the doctor to give a very specific timeframe for events or else you would assume his opinion is not valid?

Sounds like a load of shit to me.

It's a bit like this:

Doctor: The condition of your lungs is deteriorating. If you don't stop smoking you will kill yourself.

Patient: How long have I got then?

Doctor: It's very difficult to tell.

Patient: I'm not listening then. Fu*k off.