House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Avast Just Found This As A Virus A0264421.exe / Ao264421.exe

Just clean your computer with soap and water, a good wipe will solve all ills.

Guest anorthosite

If its the first 48 hours of infection, try tamiflu. Call NHS Direct.

GIYF

I have done so, and came up with nothing. I had done an Avast update then a scan - and it found 2 new viruses, 1 was on an old 2006 downloaded bit of freeware for car radio codes, one was on System Volume and then the 1 named here. I just hope Avast knows what its doing, but so far all working as normal. I wonder what the heck it was, bit worried now.

I never thought I'd say this but the Microsoft System Scan and Fix (can't remember the exact name but google it) works a treat in most cases - I don't know if they still offer one free scan before you buy, but I used it to remove a virus for a friend which was particularly nasty.

Takes a long time to run, but does a good job.

And having said something nice about MS, I am off to wash my mouth out with soap and water. I feel cheap.

?

If you right click the file does it give you any version details ?

I had one with a similar name format a while ago and I think it could have been something to do with adobe flash (or summit similar) .

If you right click the file does it give you any version details ?

I had one with a similar name format a while ago and I think it could have been something to do with adobe flash (or summit similar) .

I'm just wondering if it was a vital file for the very latest all new faster Firefox as my Firefox has gone deadly slow and keeps crashing now, no updates available

Nothing showing at Symantec.

Just because Avast identified it as a virus it doesn't mean that that is the case. Certainly still keep an eye on it though.

Thread on Firefox 3.5 being slow here.

Do you use Process Explorer?

I've got Firefox 3.5.1 it seems. It tends to crash all the time now, go very slow, forget where it was (I get the cute message "Well, this is embarrassing..." on screen).

Someone else here told me not to go for 3.5.1 until they ironed it out. Shoulda listened.

Thx for the links VB.

I've got Firefox 3.5.1 it seems. It tends to crash all the time now, go very slow, forget where it was (I get the cute message "Well, this is embarrassing..." on screen).

Someone else here told me not to go for 3.5.1 until they ironed it out. Shoulda listened.

Thx for the links VB.

If you are still having problems.

Ignore the file name. It is an internal naming convention used by Microsoft to backup multiple copies of system dependant files to the system restore folder which can then be used for system restore if needed. The files may indeed by infected. by the sounds of things they were infected some time before but the originals have been removed from your live system folder leaving only the copies. These would become active in the event of a system restore, if you are worried by this:

Microsoft Explanation and Solution - Read Carefully

Also, on Browsers. If you don't like IE and can't use Firefox, try Opera. It's small, fast and has some lovely features. I'm not a browser Nazi so try it for yourself and choose the one you like (don't get involved in these farcical arguments about which is best. Try them all and choose for yourself).

If you are still having problems.

Ignore the file name. It is an internal naming convention used by Microsoft to backup multiple copies of system dependant files to the system restore folder which can then be used for system restore if needed. The files may indeed by infected. by the sounds of things they were infected some time before but the originals have been removed from your live system folder leaving only the copies. These would become active in the event of a system restore, if you are worried by this:

Microsoft Explanation and Solution - Read Carefully

Also, on Browsers. If you don't like IE and can't use Firefox, try Opera. It's small, fast and has some lovely features. I'm not a browser Nazi so try it for yourself and choose the one you like (don't get involved in these farcical arguments about which is best. Try them all and choose for yourself).

thx, will do