House Price Crash Forum

Are The Brits The New Poles?

HOLA441

An interesting series of articles from Auntie Pravda. How many of these exported Brits will want to come back?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8179565.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8065615.stm

HOLA442
HOLA443

What gets me is that the govt are going to fund some of this. It staggers me that somewhere in the civil service, someone is being targeted, managed and rewarded based on paying out highly stretched taxes to fund kids to see the effing world.

How does this make sense to anyone???

And in answer to the question - no, we don't have enough plumbers to export.

HOLA444
What gets me is that the govt are going to fund some of this. It staggers me that somewhere in the civil service, someone is being targeted, managed and rewarded based on paying out highly stretched taxes to fund kids to see the effing world.

How does this make sense to anyone???

And in answer to the question - no, we don't have enough plumbers to export.

I agree, I am not sure why Government funding is being provided - a total disgrace.

And yes on the skills front you are right, but perhaps there is a Europe wide shortage of wanabee Chav Celebs.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

As I pointed out in the other thread on this, there are 5,500,000 A level papers sat each year (couldn't find how many pupils that equates to).

This is funding a gap year for 500 of those pupils.

Though it's an absurd, illogical, unfair and pointless policy, the amount of money involved is tiny. 500 is an insignificant proportion of A level "graduates" (can't think what the proper word is for someone who has completed their A levels) - and the cost and effect of the policy will be proportionately insignificant.

So I object to the policy because it is absurd, illogical, unfair and pointless. I don't care so much about the (reasonable) complaint that it's a waste of money since such small sums are involved.

Edit: Or is it a gap year after university graduation, not A levels? Same principle applies, even if the numbers are somewhat different.

Edited by Selling up

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Parry aka GOD

If you can, go with a firm with international work. Mine's Portugal and Bermuda right now. Lot's of stuff coming up in the East/Far East, also Africa of all places.

Big World out there.