House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

got2laugh

Why Are Weeks Only 7 Days?

I feel that weekends are too short. Saturday is getting over the week of work, and catching up on things: housework, paperwork, family stuff etc. Sundays it's some more catching up, as well as this dark cloud looming over us that tomorrow it's another day of work.

Who invented the 7 day week? I suppose it's mentioned in the Bible, but the day of rest seems non-existent nowadays.

Wouldn't a 3 day weekend be lovely? First day to tie up loose ends, unwind a bit if possible, second day to do fun things, third day to tie up the other loose ends and preparing for the next day back in work.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not against 5 days of work, but perhaps we should have an 8 day week?

Guest anorthosite
I feel that weekends are too short. Saturday is getting over the week of work, and catching up on things: housework, paperwork, family stuff etc. Sundays it's some more catching up, as well as this dark cloud looming over us that tomorrow it's another day of work.

Who invented the 7 day week? I suppose it's mentioned in the Bible, but the day of rest seems non-existent nowadays.

Wouldn't a 3 day weekend be lovely? First day to tie up loose ends, unwind a bit if possible, second day to do fun things, third day to tie up the other loose ends and preparing for the next day back in work.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not against 5 days of work, but perhaps we should have an 8 day week?

F**k it, lets just blame Gordon Brown or Maggie Thatcher for this one as well...

You've just prompted me to wonder what's going on in France, since I had a vague memory that they introduced a 4-day working week there a while ago. It turns out that in fact they introduced a 35-hour working week in 2000, but they more or less dropped it in 2005. Guess why?

Critics of the 35-hour week said it was a barrier to greater prosperity, faster economic growth and fuller employment.

But of course.

Google France working week for links.

Does anyone still rest on the 7th day and do b*gger all?

Germans! Everything is shut on Sunday, like it used to be in UK when I was a kid. ;)

Guest Parry aka GOD

Thought the UK was already on a 3 day week. Gives you 4 days off?

Unions and organised labour invented the weekend so no wonder the neoliberal free marketeers want 24 hour opening of everything on a Sunday.

The OP is right, though, the weekend is too short, especially with the nature of today's work. My grandfather worked hard but there wasn't the mental strain and being couped-up at a desk or soul-numbing office block much of the day with flickering lights, dealing with moronic *****ers bosses all day, getting paid too little for doing three peoples' work (productivity, they call it) - for my Grandfther it was turn up, do it, go home to a cooked meal and relax with a bit of gardening, fishing or car tinkering.

Some friends you can never see mid-week as, even if the get away on time, they are so mentally drained they haven't the energy.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Unions and organised labour invented the weekend so no wonder the neoliberal free marketeers want 24 hour opening of everything on a Sunday.

The OP is right, though, the weekend is too short, especially with the nature of today's work. My grandfather worked hard but there wasn't the mental strain and being couped-up at a desk or soul-numbing office block much of the day with flickering lights, dealing with moronic *****ers bosses all day, getting paid too little for doing three peoples' work (productivity, they call it) - for my Grandfther it was turn up, do it, go home to a cooked meal and relax with a bit of gardening, fishing or car tinkering.

Some friends you can never see mid-week as, even if the get away on time, they are so mentally drained they haven't the energy.

In the UK they want you to work harder, not smarter.

In an old job we used to do 3x 12.5 hour shifts a week. That leaves a 3 day break, as your pattern would typically be WWOWOOO (where W=work day and O=off day).

To do 3 long days like that is perfectly legal under working time regs but a killer in a high-activity job.

Germans! Everything is shut on Sunday, like it used to be in UK when I was a kid. ;)

+1 It's odd to go out on a Sunday and discover everything is shut.

I used to hate Sundays as a kid, as there was never anything to do... I suspect the memories of boredom came from Sundays that rained, spent indoors playing board games etc.

On other Sundays we would visit friends and family, have them over for Sunday lunch, go to the park, etc. It really was the day of rest (whether you went to church or not).

Since shops being open on Sundays, it's meant that it's just another day that's the same as any other - more people have to work to keep places open, and more people use Sunday as a day for playing catch up, and getting the shopping done. Shopping has become a hobby, people have forgotten about the green spaces that are close to them, and less time is spent as a family - as there isn't that ovious opportunity for time to spend together.

Go for a walk in a park in Germany, and there are loads of people out, walking, playing, having a beer and enjoying themselves - together.

I work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off. When you add in holiday entitlement, I think I get about 202 days off a year. My OH is teacher. I think she gets even more.

Do shift work.

I have a 9-week rota and some "weeks" last 8 days and others 3 days. It's 24/7 so there are some night shifts and weekends which aren't great really, but benefits include the shops/gym/pubs/beaches being a bit quieter when I want to go there. Actually sometimes I look forward to the night shifts as it's a chance to work alone without all the usual crap of the office, don't have to feel guilty getting myself a cup of coffee without having to offer the whole ******ing desk one, etc.