House Price Crash Forum

I have found them a real fount of knowledge on the issue of bullion,I haven't 'jumped ' yet and bought any but their knowledge and professionalism in relation to the subject of gold and silver as a safety net for money seems thorough?

And their prices seem reasonable,the best I have seen so far.

I have bought some of their handmade jewellery and seen their bullion bars in the cabinets all shiny and tempting!!

All the arguments posited on here seem compelling regarding buying silver and gold ?

Is this the time to buy gold ? Or will it drop a bit more?

I have found them a real fount of knowledge on the issue of bullion,I haven't 'jumped ' yet and bought any but their knowledge and professionalism in relation to the subject of gold and silver as a safety net for money seems thorough?

I have bought some of their handmade jewellery and seen their bullion bars in the cabinets all shiny and tempting!!

All the arguments posited on here seem compelling regarding buying silver and gold ?

is this an advert?

they don't list any prices. In my experience, places that will not tell people what they charge do so because their prices are a joke. What have you bought and what did they charge?

is this an advert?

they don't list any prices. In my experience, places that will not tell people what they charge do so because their prices are a joke. What have you bought and what did they charge?

they do list prices .....just go onto their site and they quote daily silver and gold prices .

I have only bought earings ! but they were unusual and some of the designs I have never seen in the U.K.

they do list prices .....just go onto their site and they quote daily silver and gold prices .

I have only bought earings ! but they were unusual and some of the designs I have never seen in the U.K.

I looked at their site, no prices are quoted only the message

"Not available online. Please contact us if you wish to purchase this item."

With all due respect, having only purchased pretty earings to which you may not understand their true gold value, why are you advertising for them?

I looked at their site, no prices are quoted only the message

"Not available online. Please contact us if you wish to purchase this item."

With all due respect, having only purchased pretty earings to which you may not understand their true gold value, why are you advertising for them?

Quite. I wrote to them asking them the prices and even after a week havent heard anything back. This Level of service is not good enough for me.

Sorry to disagree, but I have dealt with Bruce on occasion, and he is very good. IMHO, you are making the mistake by writing to the Guernsey Mint.

It's no good writing to anyone in a business that has price changes daily or twice-daily. I suggest that you phone Bruce and then get the quote. Compare with others if you wish, then place your order by email or phone. Transfer the funds by bank internet transfer, then as soon as the funds have cleared, the metal is yours. I sat in their cafe, fondling my silver and palladium.

You may then go and collect it or have it delivered, or leave it at the vaults in Guernsey until required.

It will be stored in a bonded warehouse VAT-free, and not held by The Guernsey Mint themselves.

The silver is standard Umicore Silver, the coins are minted in the Channel Islands except for Krugers.

The GM is reliable and safe; I have no connection with them, except that I have purchased from GM before. I won't breach their security by posting the photo, but I was privileged to take a picture of half-a-ton of silver being delivered to a place in Guernsey. Fantastic sight.

Thank you Old Nis. You make a valid point about price change daily or twice daily, hence the inability of Guernsey Mint to write to us informing the price. However, due to unavailability of real time price on GM, it makes like for like comparisons very difficult.

Thank you Old Nis. You make a valid point about price change daily or twice daily, hence the inability of Guernsey Mint to write to us informing the price. However, due to unavailability of real time price on GM, it makes like for like comparisons very difficult.

You are right. I am sorry to say that a lot of business has been lost by companies who do not maintain their website pricing up to date in real time (or something close to it). It is just easier to buy from a true internet supplier who has a web-based shop, even if the pricing is not quite as competitive. I am happy to pay small premiums for convenience, as long as I can see what that premium is. I admit it is pure laziness, but I am sure I am not alone.

I would always make sure my website had up-to-date stock levels and pricing. If Cookson Gold and Baird can do it, then anyone can. Even if you don't want to sell via a website shop, the pricing can, and should, be real-time. Orders can then be made via phone and email confirmation. However, Bruce is very efficient on the phone and totally trustworthy.

To get back to the thread, GM are very competitive. Remember that the VAT is missing, so silver, palladium and platinum can all be purchased tax-free, and sold again if the metal is stored in Guernsey. Bruce's shop and gardens are beautiful and worth a visit anyway.

According to GM, they need minimum 15,000 £ worth of PM to be stored VAT free.

I didn't know there was such a high lower limit, if you see what I mean. In that case, just buy the stuff and keep it in Guernsey somewhere. Or club together with other like-minded souls to get to the storage limit. Thanks for posting the info.

Guernsey is for the big boys. The average houseprice in Guernsey is the best part of £300,000, [and for non-residents you'll need over £1M]. It is the homeland for Investment bankers and Fund managers.

The GM is a family run business and the site is on 8 acres of land if I remember rightly. They may not need to start selling small bars to make a livining just yet, hence the minimum requirement.

Guernsey is for the big boys. The average houseprice in Guernsey is the best part of £300,000, [and for non-residents you'll need over £1M]. It is the homeland for Investment bankers and Fund managers.

I have never been to Guernsey, but I expect it's a mini for version Jersey, which I found a rather pleasant place to visit

and is like Great Britain in the 1950's.

Given the state of the UK mainland, maybe one should aim for living on one of the islands.

I have never been to Guernsey, but I expect it's a mini for version Jersey, which I found a rather pleasant place to visit

and is like Great Britain in the 1950's.

Given the state of the UK mainland, maybe one should aim for living on one of the islands.

The taxation is incredibly low. Fuel is still 80p litre unleaded. Theres no parking charges, metres or speed cameras anywhere on the island, which is a stress free place for a motorist. However the top speed on the roads is 35mph. The beaurocrat locusts have obviously not been allowed on the island - think of all the potential income!

The taxation is incredibly low. Fuel is still 80p litre unleaded. Theres no parking charges, metres or speed cameras anywhere on the island, which is a stress free place for a motorist. However the top speed on the roads is 35mph. The beaurocrat locusts have obviously not been allowed on the island - think of all the potential income!

I think the national speed limit is 40 on Jersey, but take a trip to 5mile road and see what they think of that limit ;)

Thats where most speeding fines are collected from, but then again people go 4x the national limit on that stretch.

Lovely place, well worth a trip.

I think the national speed limit is 40 on Jersey, but take a trip to 5mile road and see what they think of that limit ;)

Thats where most speeding fines are collected from, but then again people go 4x the national limit on that stretch.

Lovely place, well worth a trip.

As we're allowing ourselves a minor diversion from the thread, I hired a car on Guernsey (always do this, there's lots to see but the public transport isn't up to much, and the hire cars on the Channel Islands are the cheapest in the UK); but when I said "Do you want the fuel tank back full or empty?" they replied "Oh don't bother, just leave it outside as it comes, we don't bother about that"!

I think I used about three litres.

Cant comment on Guernsey, but July and August are normally seasonal lows for gold prices as from the end of August, the Indian Gold jewellry buying festivals starts up in a big way and extend through to the new year.

If ever buying gold, right now (August) is usually considered the best time of year. Most commentators are bullish on gold for both the short and long term but a minority of commentators are bearish. Silver has more potential growth than gold as the global economy recovers as it has industrial applications, but silver can be very volatile and while the chances of growth are very good short and long term, it isnt guaranteed.

:D