House Price Crash Forum

Why Ramping Will Succeed In Pushing Prices Higher

HOLA441

Conversation at work today with a (very intelligent) colleague:

Him: Well, I've finally managed to find a house to buy. It's not really what I'm looking for, but the Nationwide says that house prices are rising fast again and will be a lot higher next year, so I'll just have to buy this one now.

Me: Errr... Nationwide's figures for ONE MONTH??? The Land Registry reckons that they increased by only 0.1% last month - the PEAK buying time - and that's a far more realistic measure. These figures are for Spring - why don't you wait and see what happens over the autumn/winter?

Him: Well, the Estate Agent who showed us round the house said if we wait any longer, we'll probably be priced out of the market.

You see, joe public believe the ramping. The colleague is normally a very astute, reasoned guy, with his feet firmly on the ground. Yet he has been brainwashed by the VI ramping. This is what will force house prices up. It is a very sad reality for us bears....

Edited by DownsizingDiva

HOLA442

Him: Well, I've finally managed to find a house to buy. It's not really what I'm looking for, but the Nationwide says that house prices are rising fast again and will be a lot higher next year, so I'll just have to buy this one now.

Me: Errr... Nationwide's figures for ONE MONTH??? The Land Registry reckons that they increased by only 0.1% last month - the PEAK buying time - and that's a far more realistic measure. These figures are for Spring - why don't you wait and see what happens over the autumn/winter?

Him: Well, the Estate Agent who showed us round the house said if we wait any longer, we'll probably be priced out of the market.

You see, joe public believe the ramping. The colleague is normally a very astute, reasoned guy, with his feet firmly on the ground. Yet he has been brainwashed by the VI ramping. This is what will force house prices up. It is a very sad reality for us bears....

...not intelligent ..not astute ..and feet in the air ....just correcting your description of colleague...... <_<

HOLA443

Hes not the only one..total brain washing by the Vi's..not sure it can last with the worsening economic climate

HOLA444

This kind of attitude is so common

(I know a family that are holding on to their deceased mother's house until they can get a higher price).

However, these distortions will affect the market short term, I can't help feeling that long term it's the fundamentals of unemployment etc that will drive it.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Hope they have a sizeable deposit cos' the lenders arn't so sure about rising prices in a zombie economy.

HOLA447
HOLA448

09_03_11_MM1.ashx.jpg

post-2696-1249064268_thumb.jpg

HOLA449
I have stopped even discussing properdee with the people who want to buy and say I am wrong about not buying even now. Good luck to them, I know they will regret it over the next 20 odd years.

Snap. No point.

My only issue is that have to talk Mrs pie-eater who is also a sheeple and works with them.

I keep telling her that how is it we have a joint income of around £100k, no kids and no debt, and yet we still can't afford to buy a place anywhere near as good as the house we rent.

Luckily, she's financially astute (on paper), so this keeps her at bay. For now.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
But that's my point. He IS intelligent and astute in every other way!!!

It seems that where house prices are concerned, reason goes out of the window.

some of the brightest are easily taken in by the old "buy it now cos when its gone its gone" sales patter.

lets hope he can get a mortgage

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
some of the brightest are easily taken in by the old "buy it now cos when its gone its gone" sales patter.

lets hope he can get a mortgage

He has a very large deposit (!). He will get a mortgage no problem, and unfortunately there are still many, many more like him around out there, which is why house prices will rise.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
He has a very large deposit (!). He will get a mortgage no problem, and unfortunately there are still many, many more like him around out there, which is why house prices will rise.

if idiots like this carry on buy property at such ridiculously low rental yields, then anyone with any sense will simply continue renting.

HOLA4416

In that case, why are you downsizing?

HOLA4417

good luck to him then.

being an intelligent astute individual, he may bargain the price DOWN.

power to his chequebook.

HOLA4418
But that's my point. He IS intelligent and astute in every other way!!!

It seems that where house prices are concerned, reason goes out of the window.

Wouldn't you have to study the economy and find it interesting to really know what is going on? I'm sure there are lots of very intelligent people out there who don't know how to change the oil in a car.

Nationwide says prices rising. BBC reports this. Man reads website, research done! EA backs it up. Man buys house.

There's also enough HPCers on here worried that McTavish is right. And they're bloody HPCers!

Sentiment is one thing, but I think what will really make the market start to crash again is ability. We can't go back to volumes at rising prices, because there just isn't the number of qualified buyers with tighter lending criteria in place.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Let him go ahead and buy if an Estate Agent tells him to . He and others like him who bought recently just form the rearguard stragglers of the muppet lemmings brigade. Just means a bit more choice of bargains for those who waited when it all ends in tears of MORE negative equity , repossession and forced sales in 2010.

HOLA4421
Let him go ahead and buy if an Estate Agent tells him to . He and others like him who bought recently just form the rearguard stragglers of the muppet lemmings brigade. Just means a bit more choice of bargains for those who waited when it all ends in tears of MORE negative equity , repossession and forced sales in 2010.

I sincerely hope you are right.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Has this person done any economic research outside of reading ramping articles in the press.

Having followed this for over 2 years now, there are little gems in the press if you look for them which highlight the real picture.

I should also ask does this person even comprehend basic economics? I know many people don't as soon as I start talking I lose them no matter how simple I put it and they just get bored.

Luckily economics doesn't matter in real life.

HOLA4425
Has this person done any economic research outside of reading ramping articles in the press.

Having followed this for over 2 years now, there are little gems in the press if you look for them which highlight the real picture.

I should also ask does this person even comprehend basic economics? I know many people don't as soon as I start talking I lose them no matter how simple I put it and they just get bored.

Luckily economics doesn't matter in real life.

The vast majority of the general public don't understand basic economics. They believe what they read in the newspapers and hear on the TV. Hence the title of my post. Sad but very, very true.