House Price Crash Forum

Gary Mckinnon: What Did He Actually Uncover While Hacking?

MOP

HOLA441
Guest sillybear2

Theres a flaw 8mins in to this link when he talks about his remote access onto a windows box.

He says that someone working late saw him moving the mouse around but when you log in with RA it locks the screens locally so McKinnon wouldnt have seen wordpad open up as the person working late would just see a window logon screen appear.

Might not have been RA, it could have been VNC or something.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest sillybear2

Do you think he's being deported or taken to the Mothership?

I just hope they don't use all that free energy to zap his balls during interrogation.

HOLA445
Guest sillybear2

True but alot of AV & some firewalls flag VNC up as a threat so would Nasa have been using VNC or would they more likely be using as much M$ as its cheaper to them being a Govt agency than it is to us?

One thing is for sure, if it's a public body then it's almost certain they will be using ancient software, given the timeframe of the early 2000's the machines were probably pre-internet NT lans that were just assigned routable IP's then dumped on the net naked. Obviously the government and military undoubtedly have some really cool kit, but as stated by someone else the real hardcore secrets are unreachable from public networks, it looks like this guy compromised some semi-interesting material from what amounts to admin deptartments. Which is embarrassing enough when you consider many of the Enigma intercepts during WW2 only detailed routine orders and trivia that when combined together betrayed wider operations and plans.

HOLA446

does seem a little basic for institutions of this nature.

I would think that most of the military gear will not be operating on windows XP!!

such systems are likely to have their own protocols.

Bit late to answer you, but yes, a lot of military gear is running on Windows.

The US navy also had issues with virus infections on its (XP-equipped) warships but I'm too lazy to dig up a link right now.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I used to be *really* into the whole UFO and alien life question, I then actually looked at the science that would be involved in space travel to such *huge* , and I mean huge distances and I'm sorry to say that I lost interest because the amount of energy required to travel at speeds even close to that of light, which will be required for any meaningful trips, are immense. I just dont think it is possible, at least with the scientific knowledge we possess unless we have missed something rather major in our undertsanding of physics :blink:

I also have a big problem with the "fly by" alien visitations and crashes, if you consider that we have only been transmitting radio and TV for the last 100 years ( conservative estimate) there is no way that any civilisation has picked up our radio/TV traffic yet, there is no evidence to suggest that any star system within 100 light years has any planets capable of supporting highly technical intelligent life forms, and even if they are capable enough to engineer machines that use aspects of advanced physics unknown to us, and are able to traverse interstellar distances so vast that they are hard to even imagine, then how come they would be so inept as to crash when they get here? That just doesnt make sense to me at all.

Alien life? probable as we are evidence of it, within travelling distance and with technology that effectively would re-write our knowledge of physics - matter and energy problems?, this is HIGHLY improbable. B)

As far as Mr Mckinnon goes, I think they need to quit being bad losers and give him a job :P

Archived