House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOP

Gary Mckinnon: What Did He Actually Uncover While Hacking?

Many people wonder why this is such a big deal and why a "mentally ill" man could be facing 70 years in the clink. If his claims are true, this video might explain a thing or two. All very bizarre.

The guy seems to be pretty clever and he certainly made a mug of the US security systems for 2 years.

Make of it what you will.

EDIT: ******, just noticed the other thread on this.

Guest KingCharles1st

Bloke seems extremely lucid sensible etc

BUT- OMG does he actually LOOK like an alien!!! :blink:

Theres a flaw 8mins in to this link when he talks about his remote access onto a windows box.

He says that someone working late saw him moving the mouse around but when you log in with RA it locks the screens locally so McKinnon wouldnt have seen wordpad open up as the person working late would just see a window logon screen appear.

I think the hacking took place around 2000/2001. Would that idea still apply?

No the Remote Access facility in W2k and XP hasnt changed that much at all. To share the desktop connection for support purpose ie the local user and remote user (usually support staff) can both see the screen then you have to set this manually, default behaviour is to lock the screen when a remote user logs into the computer and the US would have been using the latest versions of windows as well. The US like the UK military also have their own TCP/IP protocol as well which is different to the TCP/IP protocol we are using on everyday windows boxes although whether these computers would have been using this modified version of the TCP/IP protocol I dont know.

Plus also bear in mind that most sensitive PC's are also on their network with no outside connections and security is very strict, for example the internal network at GCHQ where staff develop this protocol are not allowed to take anything in or out (staff searchs) which could be used to store data like memory sticks or CD's/DVD's for example.

Whilst I listen to this I think he might have had some access to some US military sites (I know its possible as I myself have gained access to US military sites via the internet back in the 90's although nothing sensitive) but I doubt he has gained access to some sensitive stuff unless the security staff in the US are really really that complacent about security which I find hard to believe.

Plus bear in mind if he has dialled direct into a closed "secure" network, then unlike the film War Games where you could use diallers and not get charged for the call by getting a second dial tone from someone elses 0800 (freephone) phone system, I'm sure the US would have also had call logging on these modems, but he says they tracked him back to a UK IP address which suggests he did this via the internet, he wouldnt have had a UK IP address if he had dialled in direct.

He knows some things about Windows and computers but theres too many conflicts in this interview to make his account plausible, so I suspect the UK/US are using him as a scapegoat to deter other would be "hackers" from seeking the limelight.

I'm not really following you here. The US are not disputing his hacking ability in any way from what I can see.

The US has admitted that he hacked 97 computers owned by NASA, the US Army, US Navy, Department of Defense, and the US Air Force in a two year period. They also claim that he shut down the US Military Washington network of 2,000 computers for a period of time and deleted US Navy Weapons information, shutting down a naval network of 300 computers in 2001. They are now saying that the cost of tracking and correcting the problems he caused was $700,000.

The UFO thingy has been under development for ages.

hitler was doing this stuff back in the 1940's....so transferrence of such technology after ww2 would merely be a baton-passing exercise,as you would expect to see in a relay race.

given 60 years of exponential technological advancement,what do you think they've managed to brew up now???

Theres a flaw 8mins in to this link when he talks about his remote access onto a windows box.

He says that someone working late saw him moving the mouse around but when you log in with RA it locks the screens locally so McKinnon wouldnt have seen wordpad open up as the person working late would just see a window logon screen appear.

VNC

I'm not really following you here. The US are not disputing his hacking ability in any way from what I can see.

The US has admitted that he hacked 97 computers owned by NASA, the US Army, US Navy, Department of Defense, and the US Air Force in a two year period. They also claim that he shut down the US Military Washington network of 2,000 computers for a period of time and deleted US Navy Weapons information, shutting down a naval network of 300 computers in 2001. They are now saying that the cost of tracking and correcting the problems he caused was $700,000.

doesn't inspire confidence if this guy is an "amateur" does it?

there are counter intelligence people across the globe paid to crack this stuff full time......and he does it as a hobby.

Yep and they could have been using PC Anywhere, plus a myriad of other remote access tech, but McKinnon says he gained access using a default password for the administrator account.

Firstly windows does not come with a default admin password, you have to create it, so after the windows image is created, only then is there an administrator account and a password but its not a default password, its whatever the person creating the image sets it too if a password was set, in 2001 likely to be W2k you could create an administrator account with no password.

Its also likely these computers are hooked up to a windows server of sorts possibly NT4, but more likely a W2k server and we shouldnt discount it being connected to a novell server either.

So once connected to a windows server you have Active Directory controlling the user access.

Now its possible that a really dumb password was used in which case the US should swallow their pride, but again the likelyhood seems too improbable to me.

But as I've said I'll put a more detailed response up commenting on his interview and his claims.

I noticed his body language wasnt suggesting he was not lying like scratching nose looking away alot when talking, things like that but I'm still sitting on the fence.

Does anyone know how this story broke, like did the US approach the UK first with the evidence or was Mckinnon caught telling his story on a public forum which then came to the attention of the US?

It seems he was finally caught in 2002 while trying to download a photo (of a UFO according to him) on a military/nasa site. They must have traced his computer and basically the National High Tech Crime Unit turned up on his doorstep and nabbed him.

He used "remotely anywhere" software. He says he wrote a "perl script" to pick out default (blank) administrator passwords and worked his way up through various government/military organisations via trust until he finally got into the pentagon/nasa etc.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...6789441qWAz5TBn

Another interesting video interview.

He used "remotely anywhere" software. He says he wrote a "pearl script" to pick out default (blank) administrator passwords and worked his way up through various government/military organisations via trust until he finally got into the pentagon/nasa etc.

does seem a little basic for institutions of this nature.

I would think that most of the military gear will not be operating on windows XP!!

such systems are likely to have their own protocols.

Guest BoomBoomCrash

We've had retrieved extraterrestrial craft for decades.

It's not even that Governments are slowly acclimatising the public to the reality by drip feeding documentation under the FOIA. At some point there will be disclosure.

If he was only interested in UFOs, why did he leave messages taunting them over a terrorist foreign policy?

I think his lawyers have come up with good mitigation, but I don't believe it.

You pre-suppose he used what we all traditionally use for Remote Access. RA can be used to actively take over the current (local) user session. LogMeIn, GoToMyPC (I Think) and even the M$-supplied 'Remote Assistance' is a form of remote access (albeit different from 'Remote Desktop'!).

Aidanapword

does seem a little basic for institutions of this nature.

I would think that most of the military gear will not be operating on windows XP!!

such systems are likely to have their own protocols.

'perl script'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

High level language. His use of perl does not pre-suppose windows as the host OS for the script(s) he ran.

Aidanapword

We've had retrieved extraterrestrial craft for decades.

It's not even that Governments are slowly acclimatising the public to the reality by drip feeding documentation under the FOIA. At some point there will be disclosure.

I love some of the comments about this along the lines of 'guess he's had a few too many trips into space'. That's the problem you'd face with disclosure - a serious academic who has travelled into space declares point blank there's extra terresterial life and the default position is still to call them a loon.

NASA's statement about this was hardly a ringing denial either. Something along the lines of 'Edgar Mitchell's entitled to his own views'. Seem to think Bill Clinton said something about UFOs stopping short of outright denial of their exisitence.

When you look at technological advancement it's a bit of a growth spurt. Go back 2000 years to Roman times and you're talking horse and cart and swords and it remained that for well over 1500 years pretty much. If you look at 1900-2000, I don't find it completely outlandish to pencil in a !940s Roswell crash to reverse engineer out of.

I don't particularly want to believe or not believe but the evidence seems to grow not recede.

Guest anorthosite
I love some of the comments about this along the lines of 'guess he's had a few too many trips into space'. That's the problem you'd face with disclosure - a serious academic who has travelled into space declares point blank there's extra terresterial life and the default position is still to call them a loon.

NASA's statement about this was hardly a ringing denial either. Something along the lines of 'Edgar Mitchell's entitled to his own views'. Seem to think Bill Clinton said something about UFOs stopping short of outright denial of their exisitence.

When you look at technological advancement it's a bit of a growth spurt. Go back 2000 years to Roman times and you're talking horse and cart and swords and it remained that for well over 1500 years pretty much. If you look at 1900-2000, I don't find it completely outlandish to pencil in a !940s Roswell crash to reverse engineer out of.

I don't particularly want to believe or not believe but the evidence seems to grow not recede.

Ed Mitchell was a loon before he went into space. He did secret ESP experiments during the Apollo 14 mission before going on to do probably the worst science of the entire Apollo program.

Ed Mitchell was a loon before he went into space. He did secret ESP experiments during the Apollo 14 mission before going on to do probably the worst science of the entire Apollo program.

Perfectly possible but, would they let a loon with a questionable record or scientific rigour into space easily. Surely the screening programme would be exceptionally robust.

Here's another Mckinnon interview I just watched. What's interesting is from 13:00 you can see he's starting to lie which suggests he either isn't lying for the rest or as totally deluded himself.

Ok this is a better interview with more details and I'm gobsmacked at how the military lets themselves be such open targets. Having seen this I do believe he gained access now that he's explained how he did it like using a Perl Script which is why I mentioned Script Kiddies for example, its one of the ways its done. I can also see how the military compromised themselves by training up military personel rather than using proper IT bods to do the security.

I think becuase he has made such a fool of the US military and how reliant we are on US military support & tech like bombs, missles, vehicles etc he is a peace offering from the UK to the US, nothing more nothing less, I just hope he gets a fair trial without fabricated evidence being used.

Also bear in mind that one of the first things Clinton did when he got in power was to try and find out about UFO's and has had a fascination about them along with Reagan but from what I heard Clinton never got the info he needed which suggests the military are a law unto themselves in some respects.

Well if what McKinnon says turns out to be true and I saw an article on the BBC the other day about the fact we are on the verge of a new wave of technology innovation backing up his 7 year time frame, maybe the truth will finally be released to the public. When you look at how Hollywood has been preparing us with things like Independance Day, and other sci-fi films someone somewhere is controlling the agenda of what we know and dont know and possibly the BBC War of the Worlds radio broadcast scared the powers-that-be from releasing the the truth too early back in the 50' ,or 60's

So we can agree that he probably is telling the truth about where he went and how he got there, but what about what he saw?

Gary McKinnon’s search for evidence of the existence of UFOs has gotten this 40 year old British hacker into trouble. McKinnon delved deeply into U.S. government computer networks across a range of agencies through relatively mundane gaps in security and blank administrator passwords. He would access one computer, install software which would allow him to take remote control over it and then access other computers in the network. He accessed NASA and Air Force computers where he saw many things of course, but he found a list of “non-terrestrial officersâ€. Many researchers believe that the U.S. has had relationships with aliens for some time and had an exchange program where 12 military personnel went to live on an alien planet, under the name of Project Serpo. McKinnon has not revealed if he found actual information on this. His hacking occurred from February 2001 until March 2002.

McKinnon was also looking for information concerning the Donna Hare story. Donna Hare, a NASA photo technician, went public a few years back and insisted that NASA was retouching photos of the moon’s surface and removing anomalies such as flying saucers. She said this photo retouching took place in Johnson Space Center’s building 8.

McKinnon did hack into building 8 computers and found a vast number of photos, lending some claim to Hare’s story. Each file was 300 MB and he had a slow dial up modem. As he was trying to access the first photo, the Space Center’s security detected his intrusion and cut his network connection.

Hugh Cornwell’s "Guide for Hackers" inspired him and his interest in the U.S. secrets concerning alien spacecraft and high technology led him to NASA’s site. McKinnon claims he found documents of 400 testimonies of UFOs. According to Gary claims he saw reports of flight controllers and persons in charge of controlling nuclear missiles and their unusual encounters with UFOs. The reports also contained information that up-to-date technology which came from the UFOs was either taken or destroyed.

According to Nasa, McKinnon also saw military secrets, operations and other NASA affairs. McKinnon is due to be extradited to the U.S. and could face a a 70 year prison sentence.

http://www.ufopictureblog.com/2008/August/...-in-Trouble.htm

:blink:

In 2003 Labour sold us all out without a second thought.

400 people are currently under threat of being extradited to the US, America has extradition agreements with 119 countries and Only Great Britain and Ireland agreed to extradite their own nationals without evidence.......

Truly frightenting that LABOUR do not care a jot about any of their citizens.............

Guest anorthosite
Perfectly possible but, would they let a loon with a questionable record or scientific rigour into space easily. Surely the screening programme would be exceptionally robust.

You would have thought so, but there were always exceptions - Alan Shephard, Apollo 14's commander was a power-mad bully who also screwed up the science part of the mission.

RA does not work as you say on win 2003 and i often have several sessions open.

XP works the way you say but hackers use many other tools such as telnet so sorry you theroy does not stand up

BUT one thing that still doesnt sit well with me is the image that he tried to view before the network connection was disconnected at the other end. Firsly he has stated these are in a NASA propiety format so there would be little point of downloading say a 300mb file that he couldnt show to anyone. Secondly as he is viewing the desktop remotely only the pixels are being sent down the wire to his 56k wire so the remote workstation would have been more capable of displaying it faster. So why didnt he just do a CTRL PRTSCRN and past the screen dump in the clipboard in Paint for example? In fact why didnt he do this for even the directory and file views he saw like when he mentions the Filtered and Raw directories for example? Again this would give him the proof he needed.

He wasn't trying to "download" it as such. He was trying to view it but it was taking forever to reveal at his connection speed. As he said in the interview, he was in no rush becuase he had no fear of being caught (after doing this for two years I suppose he got cocky and thought he could screen shot it later if needed).