House Price Crash Forum
lypsey

Please Can Anyone Help With This Debate

I am having an arguement with a guy that says the "super rich" own large swathes of the UK housing (not corporate) stock, he gives this village (I think in Rutland) that is completely owned by one owner as an example

I don't know but I have said that I think/guess most of our housing is owned by people like you and me - possible 80 -90%??

Some is owned by councils , maybe 3 % by the super rich (maybe London expensive homes) and then some with BTL portfolios

Does anyone here know for sure or a fairly accurate guess

Thanks in advance

It slightly depends on what you mean by "own"... most flats are freehold... many have corporate freeholders (often insurance companies) many cities have large tranches of land where one landlord owns the freeholds... eg the Duke of westmionster owns the freeholds on properties in about 100 acres of prime london real estate. Most large country estates (which are few and far between these days) own something like 10 and 100 homes , and many institutions you might not have thought of eg Cambridge Univestsity own large swathes of housing.

But adding it all up, adding in councils etc and indeed the MOD etc I would argue that private individuals own the majority of housing stock in the Uk ( there is an oustanding moot point regarding whether the crown has final recourse to all property though)

I don't have any proof but I believe he might be right, certainly as far as land rather than housing stock goes.

60% of property is owned mortgage free, but how many people that you and I know are mortgage free?

I don't have any proof but I believe he might be right, certainly as far as land rather than housing stock goes.

60% of property is owned mortgage free, but how many people that you and I know are mortgage free?

Good point.

This is correct, but it's actually more like 95% owned by less than 1%.

You might get more replies and views if you'd at least put a subtopic about what this thread was about. It's annoying and time consuming going in blind.

I am having an arguement with a guy that says the "super rich" own large swathes of the UK housing (not corporate) stock, he gives this village (I think in Rutland) that is completely owned by one owner as an example

It's true about the super-rich owning huge swathes. AFAIK they're headed by the royal family.

It's also true that what they own is a minority of the total, with owner-occupiers being a majority.

It might also be useful to be sure you're not at cross-purposes. The picture depends on whether you attribute ownership of leasehold property to homeowners or to their ground landlords.

Oop North there are various low profile families, most people would have never heard of, who own huge, huge portfolios of houses. Particularly in Manchester and Liverpool.

You might get more replies and views if you'd at least put a subtopic about what this thread was about. It's annoying and time consuming going in blind.

There are bigger things to worry about - check out the the thread about the woman with bleach thrown in her face. Have a word with yourself.

property is theft.

this country is 100% owned by theives.

http://www.labourland.org/downloads/papers/WhoOwnsPaper.pdf

He found that just 189,000 families own two-thirds of the UK’s 60 million acres, of

which nearly three-quarters is owned by the top 40,000. The biggest individual landowner

turned out to be the Duke of Buccleuch with 277,000 acres, and the wealthiest was the

Duke of Westminster with 140,000 acres, including 100 acres in London’s Mayfair – which

alone, in 2001, was valued at £3.35 billion – as well as 200 acres in Belgravia, its even more

expensive neighbour. Land owned and controlled by Britain’s Royal Family, comprising the

Crown Estates, the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster, and private land, amounted to some

677,000 acres. Meanwhile, Britain’s 16.8 million homeowners accounted for barely 4 per

cent of the land, about the same as that owned by the Forestry Commission, the top

nstitutional landowner. But Cahill still could not account for some 5.6 million acres, or

nearly 10 per cent of Britain’s land area.

I'm not sure about the meaning of that. OK so there are a few Duke of Westminster types but not really very many. My own enobled Landlord has about 60 houses and farms producing probably about 650k per year in revenue. But this is before costs and then has to be shared. All of these things are held in Trust and these families are often large. So even though my LL owns a decent chunk of the county (as provided to him by William the Conquerer as per usual) each individual member of the Trust earns less than me and significantly less than our household income!

As for the 189,000 families, many of them are not the superwealthy they are farmers. Although I can handle 6 acres, the 150 acres of the average farm is far too much. I have a day job. As for the 4% of the land being owned by homeowners, that simply says that we have built residential properties on 4% of the UK's landmass and shows what a pile of nonsense the whole overcrowded little island mantra is. And how damn small most gardens are these days!

Best wishes

I think this area is largely misunderstood.

I believe that huge areas of land are owned by a relatively small number of estates (something like 70% owned by 1%).. but I don't think the same extends to houses.

I would have to look into it but I think of actual residential properties, about 15% are owned by private landlords.