House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkie

Gloucester

I'd be interested for feedback from locals regards Gloucester town center buying or renting. With the new docks scheme, the place appearers very nice, good shops, pubs, easy access to the M5, nice people, Cotswolds just around the corner (yes I have a death wish, I'm in to cycling!) A search on some property sites say crime is above the national average, it this true? All feedback would be appreciated.

I'd be interested for feedback from locals regards Gloucester town center buying or renting. With the new docks scheme, the place appearers very nice, good shops, pubs, easy access to the M5, nice people, Cotswolds just around the corner (yes I have a death wish, I'm in to cycling!) A search on some property sites say crime is above the national average, it this true? All feedback would be appreciated.

Lived there for a few years. I would say it is a perfectly nice place, well spread out, nicely located.

However - the centre is down at heel and fairly rough. I would not recommend living there (or Coney Hill, Matson etc.).

Go for the nicely spread out suburbs that look nice, there are loads of cheap rentals.

Lived there for a few years. I would say it is a perfectly nice place, well spread out, nicely located.

However - the centre is down at heel and fairly rough. I would not recommend living there (or Coney Hill, Matson etc.).

Go for the nicely spread out suburbs that look nice, there are loads of cheap rentals.

Thanks for that FH, Churchdown looks like a nice place.

Thanks for that FH, Churchdown looks like a nice place.

Yes, nice area. I would have been happy to live there.

If you want to get a feel for a place I always think the local papers give a good idea. Some areas are all muggings and drug dealing, others are church fetes and long-lived pets. I know which I prefer!

Here's a site for a read through:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/gloucester

I would seriously look at Cheltenham over Gloucester.

Thanks for that, you posted the results of my research over the last few weeks, just the above average crime statistics for Gloucester puts me off the area. It's a shame as there is some cheap property to buy and rent in Gloucester and I really like the docks area.

I would seriously look at Cheltenham over Gloucester.

My friend lives in Cheltenham (a nice part of it).

His car has been broken into three times (last time £1700 damage in total).

His garage has been broken into.

If the OP is looking at crime then there's no difference between the two halves of the "city" ;)

I'm renting a place in Tredworth at the moment - not the nicest of areas, close to the city centre and park, but I feel perfectly safe here and haven't had any problems with breakins or seen any evidence of it down my street whereas my friends neighbour in Cheltenham had their car broken into. I lived in Kingsholm a couple of years ago and really liked it there and am thinking of either moving back there or Quedgeley. Watch out for places that flood, I was here during the summer floods a few years ago and now keep seeing houses up for sale which flooded then but you wouldn't think it as they're not near the river just have very bad drainage! Gloucester's not that bad a place and pretty cheap.

I'm renting a place in Tredworth at the moment - not the nicest of areas, close to the city centre and park, but I feel perfectly safe here and haven't had any problems with breakins or seen any evidence of it down my street whereas my friends neighbour in Cheltenham had their car broken into. I lived in Kingsholm a couple of years ago and really liked it there and am thinking of either moving back there or Quedgeley. Watch out for places that flood, I was here during the summer floods a few years ago and now keep seeing houses up for sale which flooded then but you wouldn't think it as they're not near the river just have very bad drainage! Gloucester's not that bad a place and pretty cheap.

Hi Hibbs and welcome to this forum, I have been on here since 2004 but don't normally have time to post as I prefer to lurk in and out daily, you can gain some useful information on here, even make some money as I did when posters on here suggested buy gold in 2005, I did and watched my money almost double, sold out of gold in spring.

Tredworth was one of the areas I identified as having some cheap property compared to the national average, did Tredworth flood in 2007?

Hi Sparkie,

I've been lurking here myself for some time! As far as I'm aware Tredworth wasn't hit too badly in the floods, but I still wouldn't buy a lower ground floor flat around here! And the road under the railway bridge on Tredworth road always floods but in the heavy rain that we've had over the past few weeks (I know it's nothing in comparison) all the streets around me have been fine. I've been looking at some of the houses for sale around here too, think I'm going to hold out a bit longer. Another area that seems fairly cheap is Linden, pretty similar to Tredworth but slightly nicer

Edited by hibbs

Avoid flood risk areas (check EA website) - they cover much of Gloucester. I guess you'll get great damp probs in those areas too. Gloucester is pretty deprived. So are parts of Cheltenham. Newent is a nice village. Good feedback from rels who moved there.

When I initially went to Gloucester I had intended to move to Cheltenham, but after a while I concluded that despite the prettier centre it seemed to have more crime (as non frog said) as well as being more expensive. I was happy to live in Gloucester and visit Cheltenham.

Would happily have lived in either, but the initial impression that Cheltenham is nice and Gloucester is rough is wrong; the difference is small but if anything it's the other way round.

Depending on your circumstances there are many nice quiet villages and towns in the surrounding area.

Gloucester is recorded as one of the most deprived areas in Britain, but when I visit as I did this weekend I don't really see it, yes you have areas with bad housing especially areas with multi racial families, but its not that bad. I currently live in Torbay and there are areas I would not venture out after 10.30pm, we have had 5 murders in the last 3 years, regular robberies, muggings, the local rag won't even bother printing crime unless its something juicy, but try telling that to someone who comes to Torbay on holiday.

One thing I did notice this weekend, the new designer shops on the quay, lots of people looking but nobody actually buying.

Gloucester is recorded as one of the most deprived areas in Britain, ...

One stat I remember about the place is it has the highest car ownership per capita in the UK.

Stop reading statistics I think is the moral of the story.

The dockland developments have spoiled the character of that part of the city but its not too bad. The huge Abbeymead development is soulless and the slum of tomorrow but not until things have down turned a bit more and all such new build estates begin to fray a little at the edges.

The area round Barton Street has a poor reputation, but that is mostly local racism as its the Asian area and has a Mosque. I shopped there for curry ingredients when I lived in Cheltenham and a friend had a business nearby - it was not a bad place at all.

Overall the place is working class and white. Nowadays that means sort of chavy. Cheltenham is posher and more pretentious but no better in truth.

I miss the area for mountainbiking. The Cotswolds are very nice if you can avoid being killed by a tw@t in an SUV with a Countryside Alliance sticker in the window driving like a loon. There are many, many worse places to be.

Avoid flood risk areas (check EA website) - they cover much of Gloucester. I guess you'll get great damp probs in those areas too. Gloucester is pretty deprived. So are parts of Cheltenham. Newent is a nice village. Good feedback from rels who moved there.

Newent ain't no village.

Lovely small town, shops, pubs, 3 vehicle servicing and repair businesses, 3 estate agents!!, etc. and a very pleasant lake full of fish and ducks. Lived there for 6 years, probably return in the future.

Longlevens and Churchdown are fine, with long established facilities, and handy for town and the M5, Quedgeley is OK for M5 but it's gonna be huge, with a Tesco and few shops.

Within the city Linden is OK, not much off road parking, but certainly walkable into work and shops.

Me, spent nearly 60 years in the area, but now our local City is in France (paradise).

RiG

Was there a special Gloucestershire tax announced in the budget? Gloucester is one of my watch areas and I search the surrounding areas as well. Normally I expect 50-60 houses to show up 'in the last 24 hours' on Rightmove for 3+ bedrooms under 250K. Today 246 houses are showing. It seems someone wants to sell the whole of the Forest of Dean :blink:

I live just outside of Gloucester in the village of Brockworth. Its great and its cheap.

And full of teenage criminals & gangs. That's why it's cheap.

As someone's resurrected my O.P, I'll up-date: I never did buy in Gloucester, too rough, the sight of smashed car window glass strewn around car parks says it all. :(

As someone's resurrected my O.P, I'll up-date: I never did buy in Gloucester, too rough, the sight of smashed car window glass strewn around car parks says it all. :(

What did you do in the end?

(yes I'm nosey) :)

What did you do in the end?

(yes I'm nosey) :)

Being an electrician and working throughout the southwest, I'm not tied to one town, so I only needed to be next to the M5. I had a modest amount of STD (sold to divorce :lol: ) fund, and needed to get the best value I could in a property with what cash I had. I refused to compete with cash rich boomer's heading to my home town in Devon by taking on a mortgage millstone for a slave box. I spent 12 months researching areas along the M5 for property value for money and quality of life and finally settled on Bridgwater. Not everyones taste, but suits mine. Just about to complete on a new house built by a small local builder needing cah flow, negotiated a £20k discount . I still believe prices will tumble another 20-30% over the next 5 years, more if the government stops protecting house prices. In my job I get to speak to some very successful business people, who can pay for good advice, and I get the same message all the time that we'll get deflation...but the powers that be will want inflation, so we'll see some interesting times ahead. But I'm looking forward to a mortgage free existence, working to live and enjoy life, and yes I do count myself lucky.

Bridgewater is another dump, you don't half pick them!

Seriously there are lots of nice places around the M5 corridor, why settle for somewhere that's cultural offerings involves a fight and a kebab?

Bridgewater is another dump, you don't half pick them!

Seriously there are lots of nice places around the M5 corridor, why settle for somewhere that's cultural offerings involves a fight and a kebab?

O.K so where isn't a dump unless you have £500K to spend, Cheltenham? I'd need a large Alsatian in some parts of that town. Bristol? Forget it, they didn't base 'casualty' on Bristol for nothing. Taunton? Too posh for my money. Exeter? The BTL center of the South West and full of pissed up students kicking sh*t out of each other. I'd rather pay working class house prices to live in a dump, than posh prices to live next door to a dump, take your pick, most towns and city's are all the same. I've worked on £1M houses in London where you get mugged putting your dustbin out, and I've worked on Council estates and felt very safe. A town or city is made by its people, not by its surroundings or how expensive the properties are.

O.K so where isn't a dump unless you have £500K to spend, Cheltenham? I'd need a large Alsatian in some parts of that town. Bristol? Forget it, they didn't base 'casualty' on Bristol for nothing. Taunton? Too posh for my money. Exeter? The BTL center of the South West and full of pissed up students kicking sh*t out of each other. I'd rather pay working class house prices to live in a dump, than posh prices to live next door to a dump, take your pick, most towns and city's are all the same. I've worked on £1M houses in London where you get mugged putting your dustbin out, and I've worked on Council estates and felt very safe. A town or city is made by its people, not by its surroundings or how expensive the properties are.

I quite like Taunton and didn't think it was expensive or posh.

I don't know what you're intending to pay but here's a nice selction for £250k and under.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1317&minPrice=200000&maxPrice=250000&displayPropertyType=houses