House Price Crash Forum

The Home Show C4

HOLA441

Surprised not mentioned, considering the discussion last week.

Tonight on The Home Show, for eight years their daughter’s been constantly in and out of hospital, now they want to get the house right....

Commercial manager Mark and his wife Sarah live in a four bedroom 1930s detached house in Hertford with their three daughters - eight year old Sophie, three year old Millie and baby Isobel. They’ve been there for five years, but the house is failing them.

Biggest ever budget!

£177k I think! :huh:

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Load of old p1sh. C4 should be ashamed of themselves.

What do they care? they are on the lowest possible bottom rung with a new season of Krusty Relocation starting soon.

I notice the C4 Relocation webpage has blanked out Krustys' tash

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
There was something on C4 after which was totally vile. About a rich family sponsoring a poor one or something.

Although in some ways it was a bit uncomfortable, overall I thought it was a good show. If it convinces more people to appreciate what they have and be more charitable then it's all good by me.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
There was something on C4 after which was totally vile. About a rich family sponsoring a poor one or something.

Felt Gorgeous George has lost the plot, The first series was all about the design, this second series is all about the money, about him pushing the budget as far as he can.

The documentary about poor people is a fallacy. There is no poverty in the UK. There are feckless, lazy parents who do not look after their kids, but that is a separate issue. The mother on this prog was hardly starving, the kids looked healthy and well fed and they had a roof over their heads. Poverty now seems to mean you dont have Sky+ and a laptop. Bloody Labour.

HOLA4417
Felt Gorgeous George has lost the plot, The first series was all about the design, this second series is all about the money, about him pushing the budget as far as he can.

The documentary about poor people is a fallacy. There is no poverty in the UK. There are feckless, lazy parents who do not look after their kids, but that is a separate issue. The mother on this prog was hardly starving, the kids looked healthy and well fed and they had a roof over their heads. Poverty now seems to mean you dont have Sky+ and a laptop. Bloody Labour.

the woman receives £240 a week on benefits. thats £12480 a year tax free or the equivalent to a £15,500 gross salary for doing nothing.

if shes at the bottom of the pile in poverty how many other people are there like her getting the same £15,500 a year ?

HOLA4418

What !!??

So just because a person has a mobile phone, smokes 20 fags a day, eats out twice a week and has a widescreen LCD - means they are not in poverty :o

Actually - you may have a point....

I despise chav non working lazy selfish scum. If they all disappeared tomorrow I would actually have a party. And I usually hate parties.

HOLA4419
So they have a kitchen in the lounge?

So, it's not just us.

We don't get the whole open plan kitchen living area thing.

Despite good extraction you will still get food smells and grease in the air, that will end up on the furniture and soft furnishings.

What if you want to use a mixer or food processor when someone is watching the TV? Even quiet dishwashers end up noisy as they get old.

As for £177K :blink:

HOLA4420
We're really against open plan living. It's so hard to get away from clutter if you live so open plan... and who wants to listen to the dishwasher all night?(Was their dishwasher in a cupboard under the stairs?)

And who wants to look at all the mess that comes from actually cooking? (As opposed to shoving ready-made into oven/microwave and opening a bag of salad.)

Every time I think it might be nice to knock our kitchen and dining room into one, I remember what the kitchen looks like when I've just landed a full Christmas dinner for ten on the table.

Or even a bog-standard roast for four, come to that.

Mind you I am a pretty messy cook.

HOLA4421
And who wants to look at all the mess that comes from actually cooking? (As opposed to shoving ready-made into oven/microwave and opening a bag of salad.)

Every time I think it might be nice to knock our kitchen and dining room into one, I remember what the kitchen looks like when I've just landed a full Christmas dinner for ten on the table.

+1

My dining room/lounge/stairs is already a 70's open plan affair, the kitchen wall is staying where it is.

HOLA4422

To be honest the budget was wild and there is no way that they need all of the space, a small extension would have done.

I think they went open plan as their daughter needs to be in cluuter free space (although the way they were living prior seems to go totally against this).

£171 k, madness

HOLA4423

Can't you claim the VAT back as arguably the work to the ground floor was to facilitate disabled access? And there are LA grants available.

HOLA4424

I'd like to know how much the finished job would have been without the 'project planner', 'design consultants' wages and how much they spent on furniture, furnishings and other non building items. Just a thought ;)

Edited by The Cooler

HOLA4425

there seems to be a notion that the 'kitchen is the hub of the home' and where everyone collects to do their thing. Not in my family - that is what the lounge/drawing room/study/library is for. The kitchen is the scullery/utility room and repository of steam and dirty dishes. But you hear it on every property re-design program :o