House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Help Choosing A New (used) Car

It's time for a new car - well, '56-'57 sort of age anyway. I've been let down today on one I was hoping to buy, so I thought I'd consider some other options instead of sitting here waiting for another to come in.

I don't know anywhere else that I can get such opinionated, vehement, and dogmatic views, so thought it might be helpful and hugely entertaining to ask here. So:

I was / am looking at the Lexus IS220d, the one with the media pack that incorporates satnav, bluetooth phone connectivity, ipod connection and rear parking monitor. The rear parking thing is worthless to me as I spend most of my time going forwards, but I don't think you can get the other stuff on the lower spec. I want to be free of phone speaker and satnav in the windscreen.

I also want leather trim, having had my first really experience of it last week. Other than that I'm after:

Something with a bit of class but not too ostentatious or chavvy (I know many will say that of the Lexus but I care not).

Something that doesn't make me look like a grandad.

Not a BMW - I upset enough people on the roads without being in a ******witmobile.

Something with decent fuel economy

Something with built in stuff like the multi media pack on the Lexus

Budget is £14 - 16k but can manage a little more for the right thing.

I'd also be interested in any dealers comments on the current dearth of stock and where they see prices heading in the near future.

That's it. Let fly, HPC, let fly.

Oh good, been a while since a car thread.

Lexus looks a good choice: well built, nice in and out, relatively discreet. Bit dull to drive apparently, but that's how I drive anyway.

I have considered one myself.

Sorry for not being controversial :P

I just sold my Porsche due to baby on the way and am also in the Market for a new motor, I plan to spend a bit less than you and get an Audi a6, with high spec also, think I will get an 04 (newer shape) with less than 50,000 on the clock. I can't see the attraction in an ugly lexus. Other options are merc c class, but my mates say they are a bit fuddy duddy.

I just sold my Porsche due to baby on the way and am also in the Market for a new motor, I plan to spend a bit less than you and get an Audi a6, with high spec also, think I will get an 04 (newer shape) with less than 50,000 on the clock. I can't see the attraction in an ugly lexus. Other options are merc c class, but my mates say they are a bit fuddy duddy.

Interesting - my old man has the 220 saloon which, although it's a little old for my tastes, is a truly lovely car to ride in. I have looked at the coupe but you just don't seem to get that much for your money.

I'm not an Audi fan on the basis that I always thought you had to pay a fortune for a decent spec?

Aren't all Lexi owners Freemasons?

I'm willing to join if I have to. What could go wrong?

Bit dull to drive apparently, but that's how I drive anyway.

Me too for the most part - took one for a test drive last weekend, and the only think I wasn't too keen on was the 6th gear - at 80mph on the motorway you need to be in 5th, but any more and 6th gear will take you to a license losing speed in no time.

I was / am looking at the Lexus IS220d,

It's the worst car (bar the SC) that Lexus have ever made. 6th Injector problems (involving recalls) and awfull economy considering it's a diesel make it a bad purcase IMO, check what people over at the LOC think of 220's...

Lexus should never have bothered trying to make a diesel.

The 250.....now there's a nice motor :)

Guest KingCharles1st

Having appreciated the quality of Japanese built Toyota's built especially for Europe since about 1985, you could do a LOT WORSE than going for that Lexus.

BMW and Audi are so overrated IMO.

Having appreciated the quality of Japanese built Toyota's built especially for Europe since about 1985, you could do a LOT WORSE than going for that Lexus.

BMW and Audi are so overrated IMO.

From a man whose avatar is only rivalled by that of the Furb, I take that as extremely sound advice.

But then again :o

Have you considered a Skoda Superb? The Elegance model can come with leather seats and sat nav. The old model gives a choice of a 2.0l TDi and a 2.5TDi diesel engine. You should get a good deal on the old style Superb, as a facelifted one has just come out. There is also a limited edition model called the Laurin and Klement that has even more toys than the Elegance model. You might have seen the new style Superb if you watched the Tour de France coverage, as Skoda sponsors the event.

Have you considered a Skoda Superb? The Elegance model can come with leather seats and sat nav. The old model gives a choice of a 2.0l TDi and a 2.5TDi diesel engine. You should get a good deal on the old style Superb, as a facelifted one has just come out. There is also a limited edition model called the Laurin and Klement that has even more toys than the Elegance model. You might have seen the new style Superb if you watched the Tour de France coverage, as Skoda sponsors the event.

I'd also look at the Seat range..like Skoda, they're owned by VW, so the build quality has radically improved over the years. I've always liked the older model Léon Cupra. Very, very nice.

I have an Audi.

Been seriously expensive to maintain. Suspension has cost a fortune. Undeserved reputation for reliability (long list of stuff that has gone on it). Ridiculously expensive parts.

Saying that the Audi dealer gave me a v good deal on my cam belt change. I think that they have finally realised that they can only take the p*ss so far on service costs.

As for the car - love driving it, its been great fun, just hate those costs.

A6 should be a bit cheaper to buy as less popular. If I was after reliability over style I'd go for Toyota. I know a few people with the Avensis ... bulletproof. Mind you, the parts will cost IF it breaks and not exactly full of style.

I couldn't finish watching that ...

Wandering slightly but this was a great essay based upon that episode, which I found when looking for a picture of Alan and Dan.

http://www.noisetosignal.org/tv/2007/06/al...ity-paradox.php

The problem with the Audi A6 and the Skoda Superb is that they are huge The Lexus IS220 is a reasonable size.

Skoda, Toyota no. I know the Skoda is good, and I know a Lexus is only a Toyota in come ****** me heels, but they just aren't sexy. Audi is probably out already.

Any other Merc fans want to give a plug?

Incidentally, I had a hugely entertaining visit to Approved Lexus last Sunday, where as soon as I said I didn't want credit, the salesman lost all interest. I pointed out that in one instance, he wanted an extra 3.5k for a car with electric seats and leather trim, and he looked at me as if to say "If you were borrowing the money, you wouldn't care".

Indeed.

Guest X-QUORK

Took me a while, but I found this from '56...needs a little work but at least you'll have something to talk about at the boozer:

1956 Chevy

30rny2p.jpg

Guest Skinty

Get a Merc in black with a chrome trim. You never see those.

Skoda, Toyota no. I know the Skoda is good, and I know a Lexus is only a Toyota in come ****** me heels, but they just aren't sexy. Audi is probably out already.

Incidentally, I had a hugely entertaining visit to Approved Lexus last Sunday, where as soon as I said I didn't want credit, the salesman lost all interest. I pointed out that in one instance, he wanted an extra 3.5k for a car with electric seats and leather trim, and he looked at me as if to say "If you were borrowing the money, you wouldn't care".

Indeed.

So whats it gonna be? The front runner for me is still the Audi, going to have a look at a private sale one on Saturday. With you budget you would get a pretty nice Merc less than 5 years old, they are just a shade on the old side for me, but maybe I am younger than you :P

I have heard that salesmen would rather you were using credit to buy as the difference in price is "only a few quid a week" between one model and the next, but I've never noticed this myself. At least with someone that doesn't need credit, once you have agreed the price there are no further obstacles to them making a sale.

Guest Skinty
Would you put out if I did?

I prefer men in small cars. It shows that they are not compensating for something.

Guest anorthosite
I prefer men in small cars. It shows that they are not compensating for something.

I drive a Nissan Micra ;)