House Price Crash Forum

BBC Website: "Homes 'may rise in value in 2009'"

The UK's largest building society believes there is a "reasonable chance" that house prices could end the year higher than they started 2009. Such an outcome was "unthinkable" a few months ago, the Nationwide's chief economist said.

The Nationwide's latest house price survey showed prices rose by 1.3% in July compared with the previous month. The average UK home costs £158,871, with the annual rate of property value falls slowing sharply to 6.2%, it said.

The three-month on three-month comparison of property prices - considered a less volatile measure than the monthly data - rose from 1% in June to 2.6% in July. This was the highest level seen since February 2007, when the housing market was booming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8175479.stm

_46130953_house_prices_30_jul09.gif

it's a roaring lion. Feel the economy's power returning through the action of people selling houses to each other. Feel the raw aggression of the lion economy. Grrrrrrrrr.

Green shoots my friend, little acorns.

Green shoots my friend, little acorns.

Sure, green shoots. Start of another boom. All possible, but how healthy would another boom be now? And how long would it last? These are concerning questions for those who might want to buy.

I think it comes down to this - and only this: if people believe that property has now bottomed and will commence rising from now on, they are saying that this is a genuinely new paradigm - ie the normal rules of boom and bust have been suspended in the case of UK property. In particular, they would be saying that the old adage of markets overshooting is not applicable in this case.

I'd be happy to debate this new paradigm argument, but no bull can provide any reasoning as to why it should be the case.

We've been scraping bottom for quite a while now, so I would think an uptick is in order. You can't have bottom all the time.

Sure, green shoots. Start of another boom. All possible, but how healthy would another boom be now? And how long would it last? These are concerning questions for those who might want to buy.

I think it comes down to this - and only this: if people believe that property has now bottomed and will commence rising from now on, they are saying that this is a genuinely new paradigm - ie the normal rules of boom and bust have been suspended in the case of UK property. In particular, they would be saying that the old adage of markets overshooting is not applicable in this case.

I'd be happy to debate this new paradigm argument, but no bull can provide any reasoning as to why it should be the case.

Everyone's pumping in their inheritance early. Bank of ma&pa is distorting things and due to strangulation of supply of houses people actually want to buy (we may have been busy building, but we've only built flats for years due to Prescott) demand is hiiiigh hiiigh.

Simples! x

We've been scraping bottom for quite a while now, so I would think an uptick is in order. You can't have bottom all the time.

Na, scraping the bottom is what Detroit are doing with their $50 detached properties.

We're just playing at it. Our time will come though.

it's a roaring lion. Feel the economy's power returning through the action of people selling houses to each other. Feel the raw aggression of the lion economy. Grrrrrrrrr.

hee..hee :D

this country is soooooo stoopid, they deserve everything they get imo. :lol:

Everyone's pumping in their inheritance early. Bank of ma&pa is distorting things and due to strangulation of supply of houses people actually want to buy (we may have been busy building, but we've only built flats for years due to Prescott) demand is hiiiigh hiiigh.

Simples! x

and that signals a sustainable change across the entire market because?

(We don't need to go revisit the old "what is demand" debate, but I certainly disagree that it's high at the mo ;) )

Anyway at least you had a go which is more than most bulls.

Edited by FallingKnife

Oooh today it is a dandelion. I am getting eaten alive! Short at 9149 FFS. It may fill the gap up at around 10k!! :lol: :angry: :blink:

As an ultrabear I am happy to say this bounce has been incredible. 2007 and the back half of last year was so much more fun. The DOW didnt even register the Chinese 5% drop! I am holding out hoping it is in the end of the month spike. The FTSE is within touching distance of its January high. I ll be shorting it at 4684 if it gets there.

Good luck all.

and that signals a sustainable change across the entire market because?

(We don't need to go revisit the old "what is demand" debate, but I certainly disagree that it's high at the mo ;) )

Anyway at least you had a go which is more than most bulls.

It's sustainable because peoples philosophy has changed. These days women work, people have children much older (look at William and Kate, both 27, going steady for 8 years, not married, no kids... unheard of in the royal family), children stay a home longer, mum and dad have more money.

We're not living in the 70's anymore. Times have changed beyond recognition and normal rules are out the window.

It's sustainable as we're living it. Lifestyle.

I have seen houses that have not sold for a year now all increase there asking price , typically from £350-399K, there is a confidence being portrayed by EA's that is misplaced but is going to drag out the fall, when i bought from a distressed buyer 6 months ago the doom and gloom news helped me massively.

This is a blip, but i think it will take 3-5 years for 40% from peak to become the norm!

I have seen houses that have not sold for a year now all increase there asking price , typically from £350-399K, there is a confidence being portrayed by EA's that is misplaced but is going to drag out the fall, when i bought from a distressed buyer 6 months ago the doom and gloom news helped me massively.

This is a blip, but i think it will take 3-5 years for 40% from peak to become the norm!

There's no telling. Back in 2000 if you'd told me I'd sell my 50k pad for 125k in 2004 you'd have been laughed out the pub.

Who's to say there won't be another bang just as big around the corner?

...is housepriceboom.co.uk sold? :unsure:

There's no telling. Back in 2000 if you'd told me I'd sell my 50k pad for 125k in 2004 you'd have been laughed out the pub.

are you chinese?

clearly you are not valerius as you have strung together 2 sentences.

you are young though as you refer to "pad".

clues are that you are an estate agent.

Because the economic conditions are not in place for another boom so soon after the last one..higher taxes and lower government spend are inevitable

The government have skrewed us over twice that's how. First they allowed the conditions that created the housing bubble. Then when it burst they bailed out the banks with our money and stopped the crash. And now we going to have to pay for the privilege of high house prices through our taxes.

Bastards. It's a revolution we need.

Edited by waitingscot

It's sustainable because peoples philosophy has changed. These days women work, people have children much older (look at William and Kate, both 27, going steady for 8 years, not married, no kids... unheard of in the royal family), children stay a home longer, mum and dad have more money.

We're not living in the 70's anymore. Times have changed beyond recognition and normal rules are out the window.

It's sustainable as we're living it. Lifestyle.

hamishmctavishsockpuppettheatre.jpg

post-18316-1248969672_thumb.jpg

Because the economic conditions are not in place for another boom so soon after the last one..higher taxes and lower government spend are inevitable

This is my suspicion; that GB has engineered exactly what he needs to win at the next election, and no more. He'll then worry about the next 5 years when he gets back in. If so it means HPI is on until at least next summer. Perhaps next spring will represent the truly last opportunity for people to get out, if they aren't in for the long haul.

On the other hand, what if HPI is still going on in spring 2011?

The government have skrewed us over twice that's how. First they allowed the conditions that created the housing bubble. Then when it burst they bailed out the banks with our money and stopped the crash. And now we going to have to pay for the privilege of high house prices through our taxes.

Bastards. It's a revolution we need.

It is people that borrow and make offers on houses - not government

If it is a revolution that you need - it will be a revolution against yourself - pretty much a handjob

This is my suspicion; that GB has engineered exactly what he needs to win at the next election, and no more. He'll then worry about the next 5 years when he gets back in. If so it means HPI is on until at least next summer. Perhaps next spring will represent the truly last opportunity for people to get out, if they aren't in for the long haul.

On the other hand, what if HPI is still going on in spring 2011?

House prices only go one way.