House Price Crash Forum

Jonathan Davis On Sky

MOP

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Only caught the last minute of him. At least he tried to bust the myth bandied around by the politicians and bankers that 'no-one saw it coming.'

He said that any one who says this "wants their head examining." Nice one.

difficult to examine a head buried in sand.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Can`t find fault with anything he said and as the interviewer acknowledged , the falls in HP have been even more dramatic than Jonathan Davis predicted - at a time when the mainstream opinion was that prices could never fall .

It was FP himself who brought HPC forum to my attention when he was interviewed on Radio 2 . Summer of `06 I believe .

HOLA4412
He said the Dow would go to 15,000 shortly before it nosedived.

He predicted Gold would go to the "moon" it went down to 790 USD

He STR'd in 2001.

But apart from that I am sure he is really a sage.

LOL.

Quite for someone who flogs financial products to people he should perhaps steer clear of making predictions about things he doesn't appear to have a great track record of getting right... although I am sure if you make enough predictions some of them will be right.. its the moneyweek model.. currently screeming a 50% drop in house prices by july 2010.

HOLA4413

I hope he's smartened himself up for these latest TV appearances.

Last time I saw him on TV, FP seemed to have adopted the open necked, stubble chin look. Very difficult to pull off if over a certain age!

Looked as if he'd been on a month long bender!

I think smart business appearance is essential for financial guru status.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I hope he's smartened himself up for these latest TV appearances.

Last time I saw him on TV, FP seemed to have adopted the open necked, stubble chin look. Very difficult to pull off if over a certain age!

Looked as if he'd been on a month long bender!

I think smart business appearance is essential for financial guru status.

He looked a lot better, and in better health too. A good holiday methinks.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Sounds like a contradiction to me. If the economy is so bad why will rates rise?
Mortgage Rates Rise for Second Straight Week

Published: Thursday, 30 Jul 2009 | 11:26 AM ET

U.S. mortgage rates rose for a second consecutive week as Treasury yields climbed, a move that does not bode well for the hard-hit U.S. housing market.

Interest rates on U.S. 30-year fixed-rate mortgages averaged 5.25 percent this week, up from last week's 5.20 percent, according to a survey released on Thursday by home funding company Freddie Mac.

The mortgage rate was also significantly higher than the record low of 4.78 percent set the week ending April 2. Freddie Mac started the Primary Mortgage Market Survey in 1971.

Mortgage rates remained above 5 percent for a ninth straight week. Experts say mortgage rates at 5 percent and below are necessary to make a significant impact on home loan demand.

Treasury yields, which are linked to mortgage rates, have risen recently, with mortgage rates responding in kind.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32218795

HOLA4418
Sounds like a contradiction to me. If the economy is so bad why will rates rise?

they won't. The economy is effed up and rates won't rise until the economy does.

Looks like cheaper house prices ain't gonna happen so no nice big detached house for me in the areas I'm interested in.

I know we are in the middle of the mother of all financial experiments but based on current evidence at the moment governments have been successful and things are on the mend.

Even if rates have to rise to contain inflation I can't see them rising very far as it would just herald financial armageddon again.

HOLA4419
they won't. The economy is effed up and rates won't rise until the economy does.

Even if rates have to rise to contain inflation I can't see them rising very far as it would just herald financial armageddon again.

you speak as if rates are at the beck and call of Govt. They aren't. Rates are rising because bond yields are rising, i.e. the Govts are having to drop bond prices to sell their debt.

The bond market governs interest rates, not the Governments.

HOLA4420
you speak as if rates are at the beck and call of Govt. They aren't. Rates are rising because bond yields are rising, i.e. the Govts are having to drop bond prices to sell their debt.

And I guess QE is used to buy bonds - the purchaser of last resort, hence pulling down interest rates ?

HOLA4421

Looks like cheaper house prices ain't gonna happen so no nice big detached house for me in the areas I'm interested in.

I know we are in the middle of the mother of all financial experiments but based on current evidence at the moment governments have been successful and things are on the mend.

erm, borrowing rates are already at 5% and rising.

HOLA4422

I see that unemployment is falling, all the major economies are back into growth and wages are rising.

You should jsut change your status to Bull/Troll and get it over with.

HOLA4423

I thought the Bank of England governed interest rates? Could you explain if you don't think this is the case why please?

HOLA4424
I thought the Bank of England governed interest rates? Could you explain if you don't think this is the case why please?

short term it has influence on the rates

long term they will be determined by the bond and gilt market

of course the banks are trying to control these markets by printing money to buy gilts and bonds - ultimately they can delay the pain and their actions will make the pain worse in the long run

price fixing never ever works and causes shortages/surpluses

HOLA4425
Can`t find fault with anything he said and as the interviewer acknowledged , the falls in HP have been even more dramatic than Jonathan Davis predicted - at a time when the mainstream opinion was that prices could never fall .

It was FP himself who brought HPC forum to my attention when he was interviewed on Radio 2 . Summer of `06 I believe .

jd may or may not turn out to be right on this, probably he will as the prices just dont make sense, BUT what falls are you referring to? most areas if not all have had small falls if any and, if some anecdotes on here are true, they have now been reversed - on low volumes and dangerous, freakish qe/zirp but nevertheless what dramatic falls and where so far?