House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Will The Ftse Break 5000 By End Of Aug?

So the FTSE has gone through the 4600 level today, well it get past 5000 before the end of Aug?

It appears that shares are being pushed up low volumes and by one off cost cuttings, no real improved demand but sack enough people and you can improve the bottom line for that year.

The trend for moment appears to be upwards will we break 5000 in Aug?

Or have we got the paradigm wrong and debt is wealth and therefore share price recovery is inevitable and we should report to the nearest re-education centre?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/

FTSE 100 4,604.88 up 1.26%

The Times currently showing the following data at the time of posting.

Low volume trading is quite normal at this time of year. Personally, except in cases of major rises and falls I don´t think the volumes have any significant impact on prices.

The FTSE is, as usual, slavishly following the Dow. The DJ has been cheered by a better than expected reporting season thus far. That season is about half way through, any remaining good news has already been factored in to current prices.

I don´t see anything on the horizon to move the markets significantly one way or the other until people are back from hols.

So the FTSE has gone through the 4600 level today, well it get past 5000 before the end of Aug?

It appears that shares are being pushed up low volumes and by one off cost cuttings, no real improved demand but sack enough people and you can improve the bottom line for that year.

Or have we got the paradigm wrong and debt is wealth and therefore share price recovery is inevitable and we should report to the nearest re-education centre?

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, leaks emanating out of May's Bilderberg shindig suggested they approved a plan to blow-up the world's economies within 12 months rather than continue their long-game for years on end.

One facet, perhaps the driver, is to inflate share prices - the Dow's risen 10% since May 17th - till summer's end before engineering a massive crash.

I don't know whether Max Keiser subscribes to this theory but at his site today he linked this news story http://business.smh.com.au/business/cashin...90730-e2nm.html with the headline 'Pension and mutual funds setting clients up to lose what remains of their wealth'

As for those who own stocks, or rather, for those who think they own stocks, this article should provide much food for thought.

http://tycoonreport.tycoonresearch.com/art...0687/login.html

Who Really Owns Your Stocks? Hint: It's Not You

Monday, July 20, 2009 | Barbara Cohen

So, do you think you own the stocks you've bought?

Think again.

For those of you who have not heard of the Depository Trust & Clearing Corp. (DTCC) and you own stocks ... sit down. This might change your your whole way of thinking.

Who is the DTCC and what does it do? The DTCC actually provides clearing for 3.5 million securities from the United States and, get this, from 110 other countries and territories as well -- all valued at roughly $28 trillion. In 2008 alone, the DTCC settled more than $1.88 quadrillion in securities transactions.

The DTCC is also the registered owner and holder of your stock.

At present, the DTCC holds $23 trillion in assets. It has a virtual monopoly on clearing. In fact, 99% of all stocks in the USA are legally owned by it.

When Was the Last Time You Saw a Stock Certificate?

Remember the good old days when you bought a stock and received a certificate for it? The SEC changed that law and went from stock certificates for individual investors to, well, your broker holding the certificate for you so that he or she will be able to legally trade it on your behalf.

The stock certificates were issued in the name of the brokerage ... remember, just so they could trade them for you. In reality, you became the beneficiary of the stocks you bought rather than the owner.

But the SEC, out of the goodness of its heart, changed the laws again, so that now the brokers can't have the stocks in their name. Instead, the stocks must be placed in the name of "Cede & Co."

The excuse you'll hear from your broker is that it is just a fictitious name used by the brokerage so it can trade your stocks for you because brokerages can't, by law, put the stock certificates in their name any longer.

To Whom, Exactly, Have You 'Ceded' Your Stocks?

What we have now suddenly all come to find out is the Cede & Co is actually not a fictitious name, but a subsidiary company of DTCC. In essence, DTCC owns probably 99% of all the stocks in the entire world.

This is how it works. You buy some shares of stock at your brokerage. Your broker tells you that, in order to do business on your behalf, you must give the brokerage power of attorney to buy and sell.

Therefore, your stock purchases are placed in a "street name" because, according to the SEC, no brokerage can place a stock in its own name. The brokerage then notifies the DTCC of the transaction.

The DTCC is a banking trust company and, by SEC regulation, cannot own shares in its own name, either. So it transfers the certificates to its subsidiary, Cede & Co.

What do you own?

How about nothing?

And now you are not even the beneficiary. The brokerage is technically the beneficiary. You are twice removed!

Guess Who's Also Behind the Mortgage Mess

Recently, DTCC presented testimony before the Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises. The hearing was on "Effective Regulation of the Over-the-Counter Derivatives Markets," just a couple of weeks ago, and the transcripts were just released.

The subcommittee is attempting to find out how mortgages could come to be packaged and then sold, and then re-packaged and resold many times over. Since DTCC owns 99% of all derivatives, it seems only fair that it would be called to give testimony.

Larry Thompson, general counsel for DTCC, applauded the good works of the DTCC. In his opening statement, he said, "Now, many of you may not have heard of DTCC before. That’s purposeful. We have traditionally kept a low profile, given the critical nature of the role we play in U.S. financial markets." (Dah ... who would have guessed?)

In truth, DTCC knew all about the Collateralized Debt Obligation (CDO) markets, who owned what, how often the same collateral was used and repackaged, etc. Why? Because they own it all.

DTCC created a massive computer warehouse and keeps records of all CDO trades, all stock transactions, all derivatives, etc. It has a monopoly on clearing. And to justify its great job, Thompson added to his testimony. ...

"I’d submit to you Mr. Chairman, and Members of the Subcommittee, that had DTCC not had the foresight to create this Trade Information Warehouse and load the Warehouse with all these records of CDS trades in 2007, we might still be sitting here today in 2009 trying to sort out the total exposure of trading obligations following the Lehman bankruptcy, i.e., who traded with whom, at what point in time and at what price?â€

Next time you are in the market to buy stocks, trade futures. You're only in the trade for four minutes or less. Not enough time for Cede & Co. to get their mitts on your money. ...

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, leaks emanating out of May's Bilderberg shindig suggested they approved a plan to blow-up the world's economies within 12 months rather than continue their long-game for years on end.

One facet, perhaps the driver, is to inflate share prices - the Dow's risen 10% since May 17th - till summer's end before engineering a massive crash.

I don't know whether Max Keiser subscribes to this theory but at his site today he linked this news story http://business.smh.com.au/business/cashin...90730-e2nm.html with the headline 'Pension and mutual funds setting clients up to lose what remains of their wealth'

The another view is that the share price rally is to try and head off the huge hole that is the baby boomer retirement, especially in the US. In Greenspans book he repeatedly said that the US was going to have a shortfall of $1tr even before this crisis kicked off. I suspect that figure has now at least doubled.

However the current euphoria makes no logical sense as there don't appear to be any return to big earnings in the foreseeable future.

Yes it looks like it will break through that level possibly before end of August.

In Greenspans book he repeatedly said that the US was going to have a shortfall of $1tr even before this crisis kicked off. I suspect that figure has now at least doubled.

$1 trillion is chickenfeed, the UK *civil service* pension scheme alone has a black hole in excess of $1.8 trillion.

Adding in SERPS, state pension and other pension the government is liable for and the UK gov needs to fill a $10 trillion black hole.

It does seem a little exuberant today.

Up about 2% on the day now. +90 points

And oil's up 5% or $3.46 today. And the pounds up against the $ and Euro.

And the sun's just come out...i feel a song coming on...

the sun is up, the sky is blue

there's not a cloud to spoil the view

but it's raining

raining in my heart

I see the Nationwide is up too :(

Ask FP, and expect the opposite

Why the unproved fixation and trolling?

You're a buy and hold merchant who has no time for TA.

Once you've said that you have nothing else to offer. Your posts simply become tedious and nasty.

Why bother?

It does seem a little exuberant today.

Up about 2% on the day now. +90 points

And oil's up 5% or $3.46 today. And the pounds up against the $ and Euro.

And the sun's just come out...i feel a song coming on...

the sun is up, the sky is blue

there's not a cloud to spoil the view

but it's raining

raining in my heart

I see the Nationwide is up too :(

Whatever the City is on I wish they'd share it with the rest of us. It must be something pretty good.

Why the unproved fixation and trolling?

You're a buy and hold merchant who has no time for TA.

Once you've said that you have nothing else to offer. Your posts simply become tedious and nasty.

Why bother?

"Why the unproved fixation and trolling? "

Why the charlatans predicting the markets with their unproven techniques?

"who has no time for TA."

If someone can proves that it works I have

"Your posts simply become tedious and nasty."

If it deters charlatans I will continue. Sorry.

erm nope, you saw the end of the rally today from my analysis, should now retest the lows over the next 3 months or so , although after that id go with breaching 5000 by mid 2010 before the real crash starts

Yep it's going down tomorrow.

(assuming US gdp numbers are as bad as ours were)

Obama's spilt the beans.

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama said he expects Friday's report on the nation's gross domestic product to show the economy contracted during the second quarter of the year but that the United States has, in his words, "stepped away from the precipice."

Obama told reporters on Thursday that he has not seen the GDP report but expects it to reflect that the economic struggle continues. He said most economists agree that the economy is still slowing down, but that the pace of the slowdown is not as quick as analysts have seen in recent reports.

No, but someone told him about it. :rolleyes:

Yep it's going down tomorrow.

(assuming US gdp numbers are as bad as ours were)

im confident it will fall tomorrow (a double top has formed on the ftse), but i dont much care about news or what happens day to day as i take positions over the longer term

been at the tea leaves?you're meant to mix em with hot water not smoke em.

"The crotchster" is a trolling little f**ker who works in the housing trade and usually resides under a bridge in the Scotland sub-forum. Ignore.

No

We haven't had a sufficent recovery yet.

I would expect it to be steadily round the 5000 mark at the end of the year though

The FTSE is, as usual, slavishly following the Dow. The DJ has been cheered by a better than expected reporting season thus far. That season is about half way through, any remaining good news has already been factored in to current prices.

Not a difficult task when the expectations are in the sh*tter. It's all set up nicely now. ;)

Not a difficult task when the expectations are in the sh*tter. It's all set up nicely now. ;)

except the ftse doesnt follow the DJ slavishly, it has far more correlation with the S&P500 than the DJ, the DJ is kinda unique due to how its made up, (in dollar terms rather than market cap)

im confident it will fall tomorrow (a double top has formed on the ftse), but i dont much care about news or what happens day to day as i take positions over the longer term

ftse, dow , s&p, nasdaq, cac, dax, nikkei, all the charts look exactly the same.

the only difference is how steep.

ftse, dow , s&p, nasdaq, cac, dax, nikkei, all the charts look exactly the same.

the only difference is how steep.

not at all, out of all those they all have 1 further leg down to new lows except the nikkei, which looks to have bottomed, and out of them all the CAC looks by far the most definite to breach new lows

My gut feeling - no technical analysis - is that we will see a massive correction before the year is out. I still expect to see FTSE 2995 in 2009.

Ask me on what I base this? Go on, go on, go on... Oops, sorry, I just think the current bounce is being engineered by a mixture of short sellers covering positions and some kind of sinister black ops drive up the markets plan.

Unemployment is rising, no one is buying as the World has bought all the TVs, kitchens and cars they need and everyone is in debt up to their eyeballs. Add to that that Directors of companies are apparently using this bounce to flog their stocks - what do they know that we don't - and a crash seems inevitable.

I've got shares coming out of my ears after the last few months.

I'm passed caring.

Am not even that interested in the minor perturbations, just gimme that inflation and tory gubmint.