Royal Mint On Fire♦

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Not the only valuable thing to burn today either...

Major Blaze At Power Station In Essex

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said the fire covered an area measuring 200 metres by 300 metres.

A spokesman for energy firm RWE npower said: "We can confirm that a fire broke out within the turbine hall at Tilbury Power Station this afternoon at approximately 3pm.

"The fire service has the incident under control and is remaining on site to make the affected area safe.

"All of our staff, contractors and visitors have been safely accounted for and the fire service has granted some access again to the site.

"As the station is currently off line for routine maintenance work, the situation is not impacting upon power generation."

A fire and rescue service spokesman said eight pumps and an aerial ladder platform had been used to bring the blaze under control.

On its website, npower says Tilbury is one of three coal-fired power stations it operates.

It says: "In line with the Government's renewable energy obligation, which came into effect in April 2002, all three power stations are currently co-firing a range of biomass materials to replace some of the coal burned."

HOLA448

You couldn't write this stuff. And now you can't print it either to coin a new phrase.

Given supply and demand:

We are on a small island with a growing population and now a limited amount of cash. So my money is worth more just like the explanation for rampant property prices???

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
as long as it's just those new-design coins with fragemted bits of the flag that are melted we'll be ok.

I had noticed the "broken britain" talismans you carry around in your pocket.

Maybe its divine intervention and all the melted bits will meld to form the united flag in its glorious fullness. It'll be hard to carry a one foot coin around admitedly, but we'll all feel patriotic and the global economic crisis will have been solved in one 'fluke' fire.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

In my ealy days in the banking world, my employer was very proud of their brand new OCR technology that they used to clear cheques. Their development work overlooked the fact that cheque clearing would be a quantum faster than their previous technology.

The unintended consequence was that cheques moved so quickly though the OCR machines that the heat generated caused large stacks of cheques to catch on fire.

That gave a whole new meaning to the term hot money ..... Oops ......

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Sky ran a short report about 45 mins ago. Not seen anything else since.

Is it coincidence that sky have a news article announcing that that 'BskyB announce record rise in subscribers'

Could a fire in the mint news article contribute?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Just been on again now... industrial units near by also on fire too.

Serious question for a change. How the hell can it catch on fire and continue to burn?

What about a half decent fire supression systems for a building that may be worth, I don't know, say billions!!!

I suspect its an ancilliary building, not the main areas. Surely?

HOLA4422
Guest KingCharles1st
Serious question for a change. How the hell can it catch on fire and continue to burn?

What about a half decent fire supression systems for a building that may be worth, I don't know, say billions!!!

I suspect its an ancilliary building, not the main areas. Surely?

Looking for the news story- and found they had a fire about a year ago :blink:

HOLA4423
Looking for the news story- and found they had a fire about a year ago :blink:

I've been out of the country for one year and the mint burns down twice? Can't leave anyone to run the country in my absence.

With the printing presses up in flames I guess quantive easing has ended then?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Not actually uncommon in a printers.

Maybe. But these aren't your ordinary printers are they. They don't print flyers promoting Artic Monkeys gigs or those little calling cards you find in a phone box for lucious lindsy.

Call me over the top, but I kind of think it's a little unusual for a printer of money to burn. Could be wrong though so please correct me.

EDIT - Oooh, just realised. The firemen must be as high as kites. Aren't bank notes made of Hemp?

Edited by Redcellar