House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

The Weather - Jet Stream

Usual chat from the weathermen. They keep on telling us long term predictions are almost impossible to make. So why do they keep on making them !!

Anyway - to the point.

Apparently this is the 3rd year in a row where the jet stream has been unusually placed - usually it is North of the UK during the summer, but for 3 years now it has been slap bang over the UK.

Last year I told people I know that 2 years could be a co-incidence, however if it happened again this year it was a trend.

Anyone else agree ? Are we looking forward to even pisher summers than we are already used to - for the foreseeable future... :(

Usual chat from the weathermen. They keep on telling us long term predictions are almost impossible to make. So why do they keep on making them !!

Anyway - to the point.

Apparently this is the 3rd year in a row where the jet stream has been unusually placed - usually it is North of the UK during the summer, but for 3 years now it has been slap bang over the UK.

Last year I told people I know that 2 years could be a co-incidence, however if it happened again this year it was a trend.

Anyone else agree ? Are we looking forward to even pisher summers than we are already used to - for the foreseeable future... :(

If the polar ice cap is melting, then its going to get wetter overall.

If the thermohaline ocean currents slow down then it going to get drier overall.

And as for the jet stream, maybe related to first two answers, or not!

Actually its terribly complicated, but in my scientific opinion, it is indeed getting pisher and warmer. Or is that pisher and colder?

I'm only answering this because I cannot book a holiday in the south of France at the moment as the website is down! :(

Guest KingCharles1st

I think you will find that the Jetstream started in America

If the polar ice cap is melting, then its going to get wetter overall.

If the thermohaline ocean currents slow down then it going to get drier overall.

And as for the jet stream, maybe related to first two answers, or not!

Actually its terribly complicated, but in my scientific opinion, it is indeed getting pisher and warmer. Or is that pisher and colder?

I'm only answering this because I cannot book a holiday in the south of France at the moment as the website is down! :(

I can imagine the reasons behind all this are rather complicated. However the result looks pretty simple. Jet stream is now pissing all over us - 3 summers in a row.

I am thinking this is not chaning anytime soon. South of France it is then.

I can imagine the reasons behind all this are rather complicated. However the result looks pretty simple. Jet stream is now pissing all over us - 3 summers in a row.

I am thinking this is not chaning anytime soon. South of France it is then.

Agree

Like it says "on the tin", or ....actually.....looking out of the window......or actually getting wet.. Which I have a few times recently.

...Bonjour, Le sud de la France...

Don't know if it's the Gulf stream, the Jet stream or the Pish stream, all I know is you can't take a summer holiday in this country anymore without taking enough clothes for all four seasons we seem to experience in the same week!

As long as it is hot in valencia for jenson i dont care.

Just got back from hols in southern Spain , bl00dy hot! Came back to freezing old blighty. I've got my heating on would you believe? Can't get warm.

Just got back from hols in southern Spain , bl00dy hot! Came back to freezing old blighty. I've got my heating on would you believe? Can't get warm.

It's still over 20 degrees here. If you don't like the temperature difference don't go to Spain.

Global warming makes the jet stream go north as the equator heating cells expand. Global cooling makes the jet stream go south as the area of cold around the pole expands. The jetstream is the border between the two. We seem to be at a critical juncture for it, and since the globe has been cooling for a while, we are now exposed to this vile, Icelandic-style dross we have at the moment.

Ignore the stuff about "melting ice" as it's a natural cyclic trend and the same thing happened in the 1940s. Due to its own cycles, the Antarctic has been way above average in terms of ice extent recently.

To end on a positive note, the Met Office say the rest of the summer will crap so get planning those BBQs.

Guest X-QUORK

The summer has been off-shored and is now officially an Indian Summer.

Global warming makes the jet stream go north as the equator heating cells expand. Global cooling makes the jet stream go south as the area of cold around the pole expands. The jetstream is the border between the two. We seem to be at a critical juncture for it, and since the globe has been cooling for a while, we are now exposed to this vile, Icelandic-style dross we have at the moment.

Ignore the stuff about "melting ice" as it's a natural cyclic trend and the same thing happened in the 1940s. Due to its own cycles, the Antarctic has been way above average in terms of ice extent recently.

To end on a positive note, the Met Office say the rest of the summer will crap so get planning those BBQs.

Nice explanation. Simple and straight to the point.

As long as it is true !!

Now now, be fair on the Met Office. Put it in context. How many people accurately predicted the HPC?

Lots I hear you reply.

Really? Got the year spot on? Got the month spot on? Got the day spot on? Got the town where it started spot on? When you think of the variation in the predicitons of future price falls...you realise HPC en masse is crap at forecasting. (With a few noble exceptions I hasten to add.)

The Met Office have the balls to go public with a forecast precise to time of day and town by town. They do this every day, not just for an infrequent major event. So sometimes they're wrong. Give respect where its due.

some people predicted the cooling

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...ll-1674630.html

A small group of scientists believe that the amount of sunlight that reaches the earth effects global temperature!

I've noticed that the average temperature is higher during the summer than the winter. There is more sunlight during the summer than the winter in the northern hemisphere. This seems to happen every year so can probably be confirmed as a trend :P

By the way - jetstream has moved, El Nino started and we haven't had any hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico yet. Linked?

The reason why we have so much cloud and rain is because of DOR (deadly orgone radiation) mainly transmitted from so called mobile phone masts or 'death towers' as they should be known as.

Guest X-QUORK
The reason why we have so much cloud and rain is because of DOR (deadly orgone radiation) mainly transmitted from so called mobile phone masts or 'death towers' as they should be known as.

This seems scientifically rigorous enough to me. I shall be draughting a strong letter to the Radio Times.

Guest Skinty
This seems scientifically rigorous enough to me. I shall be draughting a strong letter to the Radio Times.

:lol:

Signed:

Angry from Tunbridge Wells

Since when was rigour ever applied to government sponsored scientific analysis?

Apparently fluoride is good for my teeth.

Eating gm foods and fruit/veg sprayed with pesticides is no more harmful to my health than eating organic. That must be so because the Food Standards Agency informed us of that fact yesterday.

I won't bore you with a long list but just because something is outside your framework of understaning, because it's not backed by government scientists, doesn't mean it has no merit or validity.

Wilhelm Reich discovered orgone energy and set out to free man from the bondages of slavery.

The most likely explanation is that we are experiencing a period of very low sunspot activity which tends to reduce the power of the jet and drags it southward. Winter likely to be on the cold side too if el Nino doesnt get too strong.

Guest X-QUORK
Wilhelm Reich discovered orgone energy and set out to free man from the bondages of slavery.

Apologies, I thought your post was a spoof.

<Walks backwards slowly avoiding making any sudden movements>