House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Bmw To Quit Formula One At End Of 2009

BMW to quit Formula One at end of 2009

BMW rocked Formula One on Wednesday by announcing their exit as a team and engine supplier at the end of 2009.

The Munich carmaker's abrupt decision, after a dismal season on the track and with the industry in crisis, leaves the glamour sport with just four manufacturers -- Fiat-owned Ferrari, McLaren's partners Mercedes, Renault and Toyota.

Hmm, I don't really care for F1 or motor sports in general, but having two of the the top car manufacturers pull out is a bit of a foreshadow, wouldn't you say?

Edited by cashinmattress

I think F1 budgets had their own bubble the last 10 years or so! :lol:

Seriously though i work in the sport and its pretty dire.

I know lots of people who are out of work and i've been a LOT quieter. Not all bad though, i got to spend some time lurking here learning and other places learning a lot.

Schumacher is back to fill in for Massa.

It will be very interesting to see how a 40 year old man who hasn't been in an F1 car for nearly 3 years does. Kimi will be the first test ........

Schumacher is back to fill in for Massa.

It will be very interesting to see how a 40 year old man who hasn't been in an F1 car for nearly 3 years does. Kimi will be the first test ........

Spa will be immense.

BMW have themselves to blame. They had a good car last year and could have won the championship but decided to spend money on this years car and KERS (hybrid electric drive) instead which turned out to be c**p.

With the dire car sales to boot and no results to show for the millions spent they threw in the towel just like Honda.

They have been comprehensively shat on by Mercedes in the past few years as well so that must feel really good!

The problem is that Renault are in the same boat and if they pull out there could be problems.

Yes there has been a huge bubble in F1 but it looks like it lags the rest of the economy so it will therefore lag whenever (or if ever) there is a recovery

Spa will be immense.

It will be .....

I drove around the circuit for two days a couple of months ago in my car.

All boys think that we can drive well. Spending a bit of time there scaring myself silly helped me understand even more just how good the F1 boys actually are ...... It is so much faster and challenging in real life than it looks on TV ......

Mods, could you please let us have a little bit of fun on this topic before banishing us to off-topic land??

For some of us, motorsport is at least as important as house prices and the economy ......

They are A1 GP pit girls! They will do though! :lol:

I've heard this series is in big trouble. I did the first season a few years ago and i'm amazed its survived this long.

Best place to see F1 is on the BBC in my opinion.

I can see a few more manufacturers pulling the plug.

Toyota spend big for no result, BMW spent BIG for no result, Honda i think was spending pretty big.

Good friend of mine works in composites and was working on the Honda and the cost of some of the raw materials you wouldn't believe and the gains so so small.

I think Renault may be ok. The race team has always been a pretty tight ship and the funding is not as straight forward as you may think. Renault france mainly provide the engine at their cost. Their cars are evolution rather than revolution with a lot of carry over parts year to year. A lot of teams pretty much start with a clean sheet. So the team budget is pretty small.

Must say thanks to BMW though as i've done very well out of their involvement. Funny bunch to do work for though.

I think it will be the decline in advertising revenue that will really hit F1. This will be the same with a lot of "prestige" sports - Prem football and golf spring immediately to mind.

That said, less hyped sports denuded of the garish smear of advertising might become much more watchable in the future.

They are A1 GP pit girls! They will do though! :lol:

I've heard this series is in big trouble. I did the first season a few years ago and i'm amazed its survived this long.

Best place to see F1 is on the BBC in my opinion.

I really like Brundle, EJ and Coulthard. I am a bit lukewarm about Jake Humphrey.

So far, I have to say that I am not enjoying Jonathan Legard. He doesn't seem to catch on to what is going on quickly enough to be useful and comes across as being a bit thick when Brundle has to correct him.

I much, much preferred the ITV equivalent to Lee McKenzie (can't remember her name).

The BBC coverage is better than ITV on balance but could be better.

Being a complete F1 fan, the joy that I get from the BBC coverage is a break even relative to the fee that I have to pay every year to watch TV.

The only thing that endears me to F1 is the babes.

52237_2.jpg

Cars, heat, crowds, noise, and haemorrhaging money to watch it live...these I can do without.

Just leave the babes.

You're a fraud, those are A1 NOT F1 babes..............

I can see a few more manufacturers pulling the plug.

Toyota spend big for no result, BMW spent BIG for no result, Honda i think was spending pretty big.

Good friend of mine works in composites and was working on the Honda and the cost of some of the raw materials you wouldn't believe and the gains so so small.

I think Renault may be ok. The race team has always been a pretty tight ship and the funding is not as straight forward as you may think. Renault france mainly provide the engine at their cost. Their cars are evolution rather than revolution with a lot of carry over parts year to year. A lot of teams pretty much start with a clean sheet. So the team budget is pretty small.

Must say thanks to BMW though as i've done very well out of their involvement. Funny bunch to do work for though.

I have always thought that Germans are wierd.

I have always thought that the Bavarians are the wierd Germans .....

You're a fraud, those are A1 NOT F1 babes..............

Is there any chance that at least 40% of them change out of their black A1 GP outfits when that circus leaves town into white, orange and blue ING outfits when the F1 boys arrive ??

Is there any chance that at least 40% of them change out of their black A1 GP outfits when that circus leaves town into white, orange and blue ING outfits when the F1 boys arrive ??

Quite possibly and if you know where they do that I'd be happy to check for myself............... :rolleyes:

Quite possibly and if you know where they do that I'd be happy to check for myself............... :rolleyes:

Valencia in 4 weeks and the Spa after that might be a good place to start.

Bon voyage and enjoy your research .......

I switch off to a lot of the coverage from the commentators.

I liked the week EJ was away and they had Mike Gasgoine on instead. He actually knows all the tech stuff.

I went to Williams to drop some components of a while ago, i was told to get there before 10.30 or after 11 i think it was. Reason, tea break, the factory stops! :lol:

I always thought F1 was more about the tech than the drivers. Yes - that makes it dull to watch as the same cars win every year but it must have been good for the manufacturers and their IP licencing departments particularly. Now they can't use all the toys at their disposal they must be beginning to question why they're in it at all - it's now all about the driver and not so much the manufacturer.

F1 is boring.

They need to make it more like

mario-cart-64.jpg

So they should have turrets to shot each other with.

Ability to press a button to emit smoke behind you for 5 seconds.

Ability to switch off the cars engine in front of you for 10 seconds.

Ability to shine a flashlight to the car behind you.

Maybe one weapon at a time and they change it at pit stop?

But the current, round and round we go, is far too borning.

I liked the week EJ was away and they had Mike Gasgoine on instead. He actually knows all the tech stuff.

I went to Williams to drop some components of a while ago, i was told to get there before 10.30 or after 11 i think it was. Reason, tea break, the factory stops! :lol:

That is actually a sweet story.

Sir Frank and Patrick have survived and produced results (albeit a bit mediocre in the last few years) in a field where they are massively outspent while still maintaining a few traditions. I actually quite like it.

I do not see why we have to do everything in the "modern way" to the detriment of everyone participating in the system.

Edited by LuckyOne

I am conflicted.

The geek in me loves all of the technical stuff (Gasgoine, Brawn, Newey, Whitmarsh, Sir Frank, Head, Ken T et al).

The shallow person in me loves the fluffy entertainment (EJ, Flavio, Lewis, Jacques V in his day, Kimi, James Hunt et al).

I think that Bernie has done a masterful job of maintaining the balance between geekiness and entertainment in F1.

Red Bull look strong to me and have plenty of money coming in via the drink.

I can see a huge reduction in spend coming in general. I quite liked it when it was smaller teams. I can see there being a few engine suppliers going, so maybe a return to the customer cossie!!

We had a problem on a job for BMW, rejected first 5 units supplied. They sent there top man over to sort out the problem. So we then sent out the next unit to Germany, got a call the next day, they rejected it ! :lol: Impossible lot.

Spa is immense.

Eau Rouge is a monster in the flesh

La Source to Eau Rouge, -35m

Eau Rouge up to Raidillon +25m

Raidillon to Les Combes + 60m

unfortunately TV flattens everything out.

Spa is immense.

Eau Rouge is a monster in the flesh

La Source to Eau Rouge, -35m

Eau Rouge up to Raidillon +25m

Raidillon to Les Combes + 60m

unfortunately TV flattens everything out.

Totally agree, it's awesome.

I like Monza to. Its a great place with the old circuit still there in places all set in the park.