House Price Crash Forum

Kc Goes To London- Today's Anecdotals

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
Guest KingCharles1st

Train delayed as some poor unfortunate decided to end it all at Stevenage Station- wonder why...?

Had to go to a place in Pall Mall, afterwards decided to get a bite and a coffee, so after telling the first few people "no thanks" with regard to their empty shops and ludicrous prices, (6 quid for a sandwich) I happened across a really good little food bar in a side street just off Pall Mall.

Got talking to the owner, a decent 30 something Italian guy, and he said business had dropped off a cliff. He reckoned the foot traffic past his shop had declined by around 40% since last year, and his business was down 100 sales a day. He also relayed that Pret- a manger up the road were around 1000 sales down a day IIRC!

He reckons most people up there are truly shitting themselves about losing their job etc, and lots of small businesses like him are REALLY struggling to make ends meet.

I got the freshest, tastiest Beef sarnie I have EVER had, a bit of caramel slice, an extremely good cappuccino all for £4.90, and he threw in an iced coffee for free on the house! Way to go that man!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Train delayed as some poor unfortunate decided to end it all at Stevenage Station- wonder why...?

He reckons most people up there are truly shitting themselves about losing their job etc, and lots of small businesses like him are REALLY struggling to make ends meet.

I got the freshest, tastiest Beef sarnie I have EVER had, a bit of caramel slice, an extremely good cappuccino all for £4.90, and he threw in an iced coffee for free on the house!

I hope you didn't have a decent suit on.

London is a city in fear.

HOLA443

Had to go to a place in Pall Mall, afterwards decided to get a bite and a coffee, so after telling the first few people "no thanks" with regard to their empty shops and ludicrous prices, (6 quid for a sandwich) I happened across a really good little food bar in a side street just off Pall Mall.

Got talking to the owner, a decent 30 something Italian guy, and he said business had dropped off a cliff. He reckoned the foot traffic past his shop had declined by around 40% since last year, and his business was down 100 sales a day. He also relayed that Pret- a manger up the road were around 1000 sales down a day IIRC!

I got the freshest, tastiest Beef sarnie I have EVER had, a bit of caramel slice, an extremely good cappuccino all for £4.90, and he threw in an iced coffee for free on the house! Way to go that man!!!

Glad you gave your business to a good 'un.

London changed about 99/00 IMHO. I worked in the city and msot sandwich bars had been there for years and the price reflected the product. Cheap & cheerful at Benjys or fancy at the prepare while you wait ones (bacon & avocado - yum).

Then the chain coffee bars arrived and the obscure and overpriced sandwich bars. All feeding off the spend spend spend culture, previously the mainstay had been low / average paid clerks.

It would be nice to see it go back to more honest times.

HOLA444

Very edgy, I think, at the moment - more than the usual west to east descent into edginess.

When's crunch time going to be for SMEs? When the savings/mortgage equity is exhausted or when HMRC calls time on the 'time to pay' arrangements?

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest KingCharles1st
I hope you didn't have a decent suit on.

No - just normal smart casz.. good jeans, quality shirt, nice shoes, scruffy round the edges- messes with people's minds.

HOLA447
Not notice that. In what way?

London can take it.

Is the old Cockney Blitz spirit already in evidence? When the Haliwide monthly index is negative again will we see home owners down in the Tube tunnels for a cuppa and a singsong?

Edited by juvenal

HOLA448
Is the old Cockney Blitz spirit already in evidence? When the Haliwide monthly index is negative again will we see home owners down in the Tube tunnels for a cuppa and a singsong?

Let's all go down the strand ('av a banana)...

Let's all go down the strand ('av a banana)...

I remember it like it was yesterday :rolleyes:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I've got a love-erly bunch of coconuts,

There they are all standin' in a row,

Big ones, small ones,

Some as big as yer 'ed...

(Get off me barra...)

I'm off for a Jellied Eel.. or Pie and Mash

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

HOLA4411

Same here, I was working in London over the weekend.

One of the Tube lines was closed for maintenance on Sunday (Victoria I think) and I need to get to Green Park. The trains on the Piccadilly line were at a stand still. The reason given for the delays was "A passenger under a train" further down the line.

I refused to pay the £12.00 for breakfast in the hotel I was staying in. By chance, I was early for my first job on Monday so had 30 minutes to kill. So I popped into a greasy spoon in Finchley for breakfast. Full English breakfast and a great cappuccino for £3.80. Best of all the staff were chatty and very pleasant. Trade was down for them but they appreciated the business - all £3.80 of it.

Support the local independents. They deserve it.

Unless you own shares in a chain..... <_<

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Things are bad, was chatting with a customer/mate today to tell them I wont be putting them onto their new system next month as too busy at the mo with a couple of other projects until next year now.

Anyway they are just ticking over but personally what shocked me was he had his house broken into 4 days after he had got his wife a new Q7 a few weeks ago/

Clearly this is karma. Buy a Q7 and you deserve to suffer. It's an XC90 for people who really lack the taste gene.

HOLA4416

My favourite cheap eat in London is 'Wong kei' on Wardour St, Chinatown.

This place used to be 'renowned' for it's rude service, but they've mellowed over the years.

I always order the Singapore noodles - £4.20 to sit down and includes a pot of dishwater green tea.

Hits the spot, everytime.

HOLA4417

Ha ha.

I work in Hoxton and I see no fear at all! Stop being hysterical. My local sandwich bar has seen no great fall in profit. People still need to eat and £5 a day on lunch doesn't break the bank.

HOLA4418
Clearly this is karma. Buy a Q7 and you deserve to suffer. It's an XC90 for people who really lack the taste gene.

They're all whankmobiles for wannabees with inadequacy problems who need to show others their (strength/prowess/status/lack of penile tissue).

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

HOLA4419
Guest absolutezero
Ha ha.

I work in Hoxton and I see no fear at all! Stop being hysterical. My local sandwich bar has seen no great fall in profit. People still need to eat and £5 a day on lunch doesn't break the bank.

I beg to differ. That's a ridiculous amount to spend especially when you can take your own for 50p or less....

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I beg to differ. That's a ridiculous amount to spend especially when you can take your own for 50p or less....

Why bother? Life's too short.

I doubt anyone who I work with would consider £5 a day to be a lot.

Most get a £2.50 coffee in the morning as well and I suppose you could drink a nescafe at work but, again, why bother?

HOLA4422
Guest happy?
Same here, I was working in London over the weekend.

One of the Tube lines was closed for maintenance on Sunday (Victoria I think) and I need to get to Green Park. The trains on the Piccadilly line were at a stand still. The reason given for the delays was "A passenger under a train" further down the line.

I refused to pay the £12.00 for breakfast in the hotel I was staying in. By chance, I was early for my first job on Monday so had 30 minutes to kill. So I popped into a greasy spoon in Finchley for breakfast. Full English breakfast and a great cappuccino for £3.80. Best of all the staff were chatty and very pleasant. Trade was down for them but they appreciated the business - all £3.80 of it.

Support the local independents. They deserve it.

Unless you own shares in a chain..... <_<

I think I've been there:

Screenshot9.jpg

post-8753-1248896703_thumb.png

HOLA4423
Guest absolutezero
Why bother? Life's too short.

I doubt anyone who I work with would consider £5 a day to be a lot.

Most get a £2.50 coffee in the morning as well and I suppose you could drink a nescafe at work but, again, why bother?

Yeah, life's too short to make your own dinner. :rolleyes:

If the people you work with are stupid enough to spend £1500 a year on their dinner and a coffee then they're fools.

HOLA4424
Yeah, life's too short to make your own dinner. :rolleyes:

If the people you work with are stupid enough to spend £1500 a year on their dinner and a coffee then they're fools.

Hahahahahahahahaha who (of the professional working set) does not have a few quid for lunch...?

Oh man this thread is the best.

That said, the people saying there's no recession here are on crack, there are a lot of empty shops, a lot of previously top spots occupied by short term crappy businesses, and a definite slow down amongst smaller businesses, including the corporate whoreness of Costa Coffee going bust.

Things seem to be ticking along okay though compared to a lot of the suburbs imo.

HOLA4425