House Price Crash Forum

Property To Halve Between Now And July 2010

HOLA441
HOLA442

I agree with the doom but not with the buying defensive stocks - if the market crashes in the coming months then surely even the 'defensive' stocks will crash also? Surely best to stay in cash at the moment?

Hey, I think the market is going to crash so go out and buy stocks! Hmm... Why not - Hey, I think the market is going to crash so hang on to your cash now and buy when the crash occurs?

Just wondering.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

With that style of journalism I do not think I could last reading three free copies of Moneyweek - I would be hyperventilating and having a heart attack half way through the second sensational copy of free moneyweek.

note to OP: it is not an article it is an advert.

Edited by ralphmalph

HOLA446
Watch out for the big falls coming soon although the VI's would have you believe a very different story.

It's a long article so I'll just provide the link:-

http://www.fsponline-recommends.co.uk/page...2147066252&

A really useful précis on the truth behind the spin - thanks, Cozza.

I've taken the liberty of posting the unemployment/HP graph on the "Post Your Favourite Chart" thread.

HOLA447
With that style of journalism I do not think I could last reading three free copies of Moneyweek - I would be hyperventilating and having a heart attack half way through the second sensational copy of free moneyweek.

Sensational journalism that warns UK sheeple against their property junkie nature can only be a good thing in this present climate. So what if it is advertising their magazine at the same time. If only our advertising presented such warnings rather than consistently ramp ramp ramp a market in turmoil.

HOLA448

That chart would be more interesting if they extended the data out to before the recession in the 1990's to see at what unemplyement rate the last HP crash started or did the HP crash start before unemployment.

Also of interest in the chart is that HPI started again in the 90's with an unemployment level higher than we are at today.

Edited by ralphmalph

HOLA449

Yep agreed. This is a marketing tool to sell their mag and only sensationalism sells not "just simple facts".

A lot of you very often say "Beware of the Media! They are lying, they are distorting facts for their own interest!"

I am afraid that Moneyweek is also part of these media using facts in order to sell copies of their magazine.

Is what is said in this advert only pure invention for marketing purpose? No.

Do they make it sound bigger that it is, was or will be? Perhaps.

So "Beware of the Media!"

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I don't subscribe to moneyweek but have been receiving their emails recently.

They seem to have differing views from one email to the next.

On the 8th July it was "Is gold in a bubble?" then on the 9th July it was what amounted to buy it!

Are they a bit like those horse racing tipsters that sell a tip on different horses in the same race to different clients? They can always say they were right about something whatever happens, so some clients are happy?

HOLA4414
Watch out for the big falls coming soon although the VI's would have you believe a very different story.

errr this is an advert attempting to scam people.

I never understand why moneyweek puts these adverts out. It really tarnishes any opinion they give as far as I am concerned.

HOLA4415

I never understand why moneyweek puts these adverts out. It really tarnishes any opinion they give as far as I am concerned.

I don't agree. The more of these articles/adverts out there, the better. Staying away from property right now is the most sensible advice anyone could give.

HOLA4416

The statements in the articles are hardly NEWS... or at least shouldn't be to anyone who has been paying attention...I find it difficult to disagree that property will fall further... but halve by july 2010... in my view no way on gods earth... that would need 2% falls a month + from here on in and I frankly just cannot see that or anything like it happening.. prices will still fall and I think fall beyond july 2010... but to predict a halving by July 2010 is sheer bonkers in my view.

As ofr the stock market... I agree that there may be falls, but I don't think we'll see another severe downturn and I also don't think new lows will be tested... I am still buying in my own small way, a little every month, hoping to have everything I took out in early 2007 back in again before the end of 2010.

HOLA4417

FFS get a grip

How are they 'attempting to scam people'?

They are summarising some of their thoughts and inviting you to take up 3 free copies

That's not quite the same as saying 'pay us £3000 and we'll show you how to become a property millionaire' - that's what I'd call a scam and plenty of people fell for similar ones.

I've subscribed to Moneyweek for years and you can't knock them. For the paltry sum of about £1.20 a week on subscription is it absolutely invaluable. Can't recommend the magazine more highly.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I agree the adverts are a bit hysterical, however the actual magazine is excellent and nothing like them. Also 50% falls in one year is not going to happen. Maybe 10-15%

I don't know about 50 but 10-15 will be small if we have a wave of repo's and some rate rises. Though that is mainly what I hope and prey for. But I don't see why not. The bandaid's they applied to the economy can't work for ever.

HOLA4421
I don't know about 50 but 10-15 will be small if we have a wave of repo's and some rate rises. Though that is mainly what I hope and prey for. But I don't see why not. The bandaid's they applied to the economy can't work for ever.

Praying for repos or preying on repos...? That slip is almost Freudian lol

HOLA4422
Guest happy?
I agree the adverts are a bit hysterical, however the actual magazine is excellent and nothing like them. Also 50% falls in one year is not going to happen. Maybe 10-15%

One of these ads appeared as an insert in The Oldie (some very nice writing in there I might add). They are hysterical and put off most people with a reading age of 10+.

More importantly, they don't reflect the style of the magazine. This has two effects - those that buy this come-on will find the magazine beyond them, those that are put-off are probably the readership they're after.

All in all an own-goal.

HOLA4423

In a separate article moneyweek say that they see prices falling for three more years.

Although I don't see it as being impossible that prices will fall another 50%, no way will this happen within one year.

http://www.fsponline-recommends.co.uk/page...2147065914&

Edited by grizzly bear

HOLA4424
yup, house prices are going to halve from where we are now, so that the average house price is 40% of what it was in 2007.

You were saying 60% a few months ago, funny how we seem to be getting closer to my initial 30% view.

HOLA4425

From the article

A one-time chance to make 545% from ‘real money’
We believe there are potential gains of up to 936% on the table for you – in the space of just two years or less.

They are just plucking numbers out of the air. Is anyone really so stupid to believe them?