House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Fatface's 'selective' Sale

If you go to http://www.fatface.com/ you will see that the clothing firm Fatface has a sale starting tomorrow... but that the sale is not at 12 of their shops.

Now, are those shops in:

1. Rich areas of the UK?

2. Tourist areas of the UK?

3. In areas of the UK heavily dependent upon the Public Sector?

4. Areas not yet hit by the recession?

5. All of the above?

What next - M&S or Debenhams doing selective sales?

2 - In tourist areas - why have a sale in a beach side surf wear shop when the chances are people will "treat" thenselves to a new top when they're on holiday whether it full pirce or half price - I bet they make most of their money on impulse buying holiday makers in places like Newquay...

2 - In tourist areas - why have a sale in a beach side surf wear shop when the chances are people will "treat" thenselves to a new top when they're on holiday whether it full pirce or half price - I bet they make most of their money on impulse buying holiday makers in places like Newquay...

There are a couple of surf shops in Swansea who have started sales this week - usually they only start in late Sept at the earliest - so I think that says a lot about what people are spending or not spending on?

If you go to http://www.fatface.com/ you will see that the clothing firm Fatface has a sale starting tomorrow... but that the sale is not at 12 of their shops.

Now, are those shops in:

1. Rich areas of the UK?

5. All of the above?

Probably they are shops that aren't carrying excess levels of spring/summer season stock - so they don't need a big sale ;)

Exactly, and also likely be foreign tourists whose stronger currency will give them a discount anyway.

Makes perfect sense.

Why have a sale in your busy seaside surf-resort shops in the middle of the holiday season?

If people are on hols, they obviously have money to spend..... wait til late September to discount prices at the surf towns, when the season is ending.

Guest happy?

Now, are those shops in:

1. Rich areas of the UK?

5. All of the above?

Paranoid. Straws: clutching at...

Exactly, and also likely be foreign tourists whose stronger currency will give them a discount anyway.

I'd like to know where those tourists would come from. I was in Parisover the last three months and the retail scene is a carnage. Asia perhaps?

Edited by williamdb

Nah its deffo places where they think they can still turn a profit on regular prices.

Round my way it's 30's/40's types who are on their second wives / secretaries and refuse to dress appropriate to their age group who use it.

Too pricey and frankly, gay (in the crap sense) for most people to wear their clothes.

TFH

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

I'd like to know where those tourists would come from. I was in Parisover the last three months and the retail scene is a carnage. Asia perhaps?

Don't know I'II see if we can get data on location of cardholder's issuing bank which might get to the bottom of whether it's all green shoots twaddle or not.

Nah its deffo places where they think they can still turn a profit on regular prices.

Round my way it's 30's/40's types who are on their second wives / secretaries and refuse to dress appropriate to their age group who use it.

Too pricey and frankly, gay (in the crap sense) for most people to wear their clothes.

TFH

I'd pay a helluva a lot of money for the brand, could live without the verging on ubiquitous store portfolio and vast private equity debt pile though.

In fairness they like Timberland, Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger, Gant etc. etc. get a vast premium for a basic shirt that, save for an embroidered logo and perhaps marginally better quality, the equivalent can be bought in Next etc. would cost. Actually, all those brands have been somewhat comandeered by the post-50s Jeremy Clarkson types who still haven't exited their mid-life crisis.

Difficult to know where the 20-30s age group sits really, things like Bench/Superdry/Urban Outfitters are aimed at students/younger really.

I'd always thought of fatface as another boom-time froth brand which would collapse come the recession. Be interesting to see how they fare in the medium term.

TFH

Prepack or full blown administration is inevitable for them as they carry too much debt, a lot of this was incurred during the private equity backed acquisition.

Once the debt and unprofitable overexpansion stores are gone the underlying business model is sound. Plenty of margin and they've been getting £50+ for, essentially, faded sweaters for well over a decade now. It could retrench to mail order if things got really bad.

Really.... I went out on Tuesday, the expensive restaurant was busy as hell. There is no sign of any recession.

Surfer fashion is generally naff and nasty.