House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Protection Racket Hits Streets Of Southampton

Private security teams will take to street to fight crime :o

"Residents are being urged to pay �3.15 per week or a one-off payment of �163.80 for protection from “dangerous, unpredictable criminalsâ€."

If these criminals are so darn unpredictable, how can they promise to be there when trouble strikes ..... unless .... Okay, now I'm freaked out!

- on the lighter side, take a look at the picture of the security guard and the class comment:

Hazle Nutt, teh tintenet says...

11:27am Tue 28 Jul 09

Does this firm also hire out the services of an American Indian chief, a cowboy, a construction worker, a biker and a Military officer? :lol:

Edited by Sledgehead

Doesnt this happen in South Africa? And the police there dont like it because private security is more sucessful, less corrupt and more efficient than state police forces.

And they use corporal punishment, which, not surprisingly goes down well with the criminals victims.

Locally my police force seems ok. But most people seem to think the Met are the scum of the earth, might actually be a good idea in parts of London.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Firm of scammers with mortgage arrears advertises scam?

Private security teams will take to street to fight crime :o

"Residents are being urged to pay �3.15 per week or a one-off payment of �163.80 for protection from “dangerous, unpredictable criminalsâ€."

If these criminals are so darn unpredictable, how can they promise to be there when trouble strikes ..... unless .... Okay, now I'm freaked out!

Wow, this raises more and more questions the more you consider it. It's a legal minefield. Ambulance chasers are going to have field day.

Do these guys have legal authority to handcuff people?

What if you get bitten by one of their dogs either as a "criminal" or indeed an innocent?

Are they legally trained? What law are they going to apply, the actual law or the will of the vigilante?

If they are patrolling the streets and scaring away neer-do-wells where is the incentive to pay. How many in a "community" must pay to get support - this is important because once they begin operating the police will withdraw services (unofficially) so you will be at their mercy.

If you live in an area where you need a security guard to walk you to the bank ask yourself if you want a man in a hat and a high viz jacket with you when you next go to the cashpoint!

"special patrols outside schools" - to protect the children or more likely to protect the community from them.

If this were instigated it would set a very bad precedent.

Wow, this raises more and more questions the more you consider it. It's a legal minefield. Ambulance chasers are going to have field day.

What if you get bitten by one of their dogs either as a "criminal" or indeed an innocent?

Are they legally trained? What law are they going to apply, the actual law or the will of the vigilante?

If they are patrolling the streets and scaring away neer-do-wells where is the incentive to pay. How many in a "community" must pay to get support - this is important because once they begin operating the police will withdraw services (unofficially) so you will be at their mercy.

If you live in an area where you need a security guard to walk you to the bank ask yourself if you want a man in a hat and a high viz jacket with you when you next go to the cashpoint!

"special patrols outside schools" - to protect the children or more likely to protect the community from them.

Parts of South Manchester have had private security firms patrolling for yonks -think I`ve seen them driving round Bowden about ten years ago all paid for by the residents so hardly a new precedent .

Doesnt this happen in South Africa? And the police there dont like it because private security is more sucessful, less corrupt and more efficient than state police forces.

Private security men in SA turn up with guns, bloody big ones. I can't see that model being allowed to transfer to the UK.

tim

Private security men in SA turn up with guns, bloody big ones. I can't see that model being allowed to transfer to the UK.

tim

That privilege is reserved exclusively for agents of the state in the UK. :(

That privilege is reserved exclusively for agents of the state in the UK. :(

And as I understand it, oligarchs :

"The new owner of the London Evening Standard, Alexander Lebedev, yesterday said that he has grown so concerned for safety at his Russian newspaper that he has asked the authorities if staff can carry guns." - Guardian - Jan 09 - Novaya Gazeta staff 'need guns for protection'

Should they catch the criminals then it benefits both payers and non payers equally. Thus the benefits can still be had by not paying. The logical move is not to pay and hope that others will.

If they are patrolling the streets and scaring away neer-do-wells where is the incentive to pay.

... and

Should they catch the criminals then it benefits both payers and non payers equally. Thus the benefits can still be had by not paying. The logical move is not to pay and hope that others will.

Are you sure?

"Policy holders were given a badge, or fire mark, to affix to their building. If a fire started, the Fire Brigade was called. They looked for the fire mark and, provided it was the right one, the fire would be dealt with. Often the buildings were left to burn until the right company attended! " - A Brief History of Firefighting in the UK

...or

" ... insurance companies formed private fire brigades to protect their clients’ property. Insurance brigades would only fight fires at buildings the company insured. These buildings were identified by fire insurance marks." - Wiki - History of Firefighting

300px-Fire_mark_Dulwich.jpg

Fire mark of the Hand in Hand Fire & Life Insurance Society on a house in Dulwich

If allowing fire to rampage was, in harder times, deemed acceptable, why not the odd mugging or burglary?

Scenario :

Victim : "Please! Officer help - [bLAM!] - uuuuuurgh! MEEE! [bLAM!] - uuuuurgh!"

Private Security : "Excuse me lads, can you please step aside from the victim while I check this gentleman's payment details. Thank you. "

Victim : "Thank you officer. Oh, thank you ...."

Private Security : "Just doing my job sir ... okay, details coming up ... oh dear sir, you appear to have missed a payment..."

Victim : "NO! Please, there must be some misunderstanding!"

Private Security : "Affraid not sir. May I remind you, you must keep up your payments to receive a quality service. As you were lads!"

Edited by Sledgehead

And they use corporal punishment, which, not surprisingly goes down well with the criminals victims.

Locally my police force seems ok. But most people seem to think the Met are the scum of the earth, might actually be a good idea in parts of London.

Major difference is we have savages in South Africa that rape, murder. Here we have only chavs. Big difference. 50 murders a day, 100 rapes a day. This place is peaceful in comparison.

Would you complain?

cuffs.jpeg

p-o-p

post-10374-1248870681_thumb.jpg

Major difference is we have savages in South Africa that rape, murder. Here we have only chavs. Big difference. 50 murders a day, 100 rapes a day. This place is peaceful in comparison.

Why does an empty house need protection from a rapist/murderer?

This is all about property protection, not personal protection, as I believe, is the private security industry in SA.

tim

Why does an empty house need protection from a rapist/murderer?

This is all about property protection, not personal protection, as I believe, is the private security industry in SA.

tim

No, its both. Inside your home, for example my home there, you have one electric gate, two vicious dogs, outside bars, internal alarm systems, PANIC BUTTONS to armed response, not to the pigs as they are just as likely to rob you, motion sensors inside and some have motion sensors in garden, internal gates to seperate your living areas from sleeping areas, shotgun under bed, gun cabinette.

The armed responsed, as we know them, are there for your protection. Property is not as important as your life and mainly an Englishman's concern (re. your massive housing bubble and homes filled with stuff). We have bigger fish to fry than stuff, take it, I don't care, for that we have insurance.

No, its both. Inside your home, for example my home there, you have one electric gate, two vicious dogs, outside bars, internal alarm systems, PANIC BUTTONS to armed response, not to the pigs as they are just as likely to rob you, motion sensors inside and some have motion sensors in garden, internal gates to seperate your living areas from sleeping areas, shotgun under bed, gun cabinette.

The armed responsed, as we know them, are there for your protection. Property is not as important as your life and mainly an Englishman's concern (re. your massive housing bubble and homes filled with stuff). We have bigger fish to fry than stuff, take it, I don't care, for that we have insurance.

So you don't hail from Diepsloot then.

p-o-p