House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

Scotland

Just back from holiday in Bonny Scotland. Had a great time, and the sunshine and showers type of weather, made for some great photos.

I thought that the roads there were brilliant. The drive from Invergarry (between Fort William and Fort Augustus), over to the Kyle of Lochalsh and then Skye, was one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on.

Anyone got any other favourite "driving roads" around the UK ?

Guest Skinty
Just back from holiday in Bonny Scotland. Had a great time, and the sunshine and showers type of weather, made for some great photos.

I thought that the roads there were brilliant. The drive from Invergarry (between Fort William and Fort Augustus), over to the Kyle of Lochalsh and then Skye, was one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on.

Glad you had a lovely time. My partner and I spend all our holidays in the highlands now. It's also a good midge season this year, probably because of the harsh winter we had. If you visit again, try travelling up to the north coast. It won't be like anything that you've seen before :)

Guest anorthosite

The road from Ullapool to Durness is stunning, one of the most barren and beautiful places in the UK. Its beaten only by the drive south from Tarbert on Harris. First its a barren landscape and you wind your way around the rocks and lochans:

052703_26fbe0cc.jpg

205942_861270fc.jpg

Then you turn a corner and see this:

1389548_76b87e47.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice, but its just an incredible place.

Not sure about driving roads (still can't get excited about cars too much), but the A272 in Hants \ West Sussex is cracking on a bike, as are most of the larger roads across the North Yorkshire Moors. Both are best dealt with early in the morning.

The M25

Odd you should mention that, but I actually really like the M25 at about 3am (it happens from time to time). There's something quite majestic about some of the more complex bits, such as the M4 junction, at that of night, especially if you get it at an insanely quiet time (3am over the Xmas break, for example). The sheer lack of traffic on what is normally an extremely busy section of road just adds to the whole thing.

Open top sports car driving through Glencoe when there's not much traffic. Press the throttle, breath the air and listen to the engine!

Guest DisposableHeroes

Great up around by Fort William. Ben Nevis in view.

We dram, on an overnight stay to rest the mind and absorb the surroundings.

Really like the idea of touring on a motorbike some day.

All the ones over the moors in Northumberland - in a fast car.

Guest X-QUORK

I'd love to spend more time up there, maybe venturing further off the usual Glencoe/Fort William route (as beautiful as that is). As a teenager I spent a couple of weeks right up at the top left not too far south of Cape Wrath. It felt more like Norway than the UK, a different language and the most amazing landscapes.

The bloody midges put me off though to be honest, at least whilst we have a young'un.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Corrected ;)

:-)

I was a lucky git, when I went up.

Walked up Ben Nevis twice in a week, just a couple of clouds in the sky. Last year West Scotland had some incredible weather.

Also walked up Vaun Fach recently (Wales) and I couldn't see my toes, complete white out. Would have been lost and still up there if it wasn't for gps.

The bloody midges put me off though to be honest, at least whilst we have a young'un.

Just back from 10 days based in Fort Augustus, but going all over the place. Not seen or felt a midge once. Got attacked by millions of them a few years ago around Glen Affric. Had to leave pretty quickly! So quickly in fact, that we still had a Chaffinch in the car. If you have never been there, the moment you park the car and open a door or sunroof, the Chaffinchs all pile in to see what you have brought for them.

The A684 from Leyburn to Kendal across the Yorkshire Dales is a picturesque but quite challenging drive - lots of hairpin bends and steep gradients. Because it's a much slower route than either the A66 Carlisle to Scotch Corner or A59 Leeds-Skipton-Settle-Kendal, it's usually not to busy either.

Guest anorthosite
Or maybe this?

wicker_man.jpg

They only save that for the virgins. Would that be a problem for you? ;)