House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Coming Soon To The Uk: Mass Produced Rental Housing

Coming soon to the UK: Mass produced rental housing

It’s a well known fact, that for the good or the bad, what- ever the new trend that emanates from the United States eventually makes it to our shores. And the next best thing making its way to us low cost, privately owned rental housing. And it may be just what the British home seeker is looking for. Despite the fact that property prices have dropped by around 15% in the last two years, for many couples the hope of ever owning a property of their own is looking increasingly remote. Also many of the baby boomers who are interested in down- sizing are afraid to do so because they cannot guarantee themselves that they will find a suitable property to replace the one that they may be selling.

In the US these have become common problems, and are being dealt with through the launch of rental homes projects that are of a high standard , can be produced relatively cheaply through utilizing the most modern methods of mass production.

The projects are rising throughout the US as a result of the Obama government’s call for greater institutional investment in the residential market.

One of the first bodies to rise to the call were the Aviva insurance group, who are about to launch an investment fund , funded by up to £1 billion to construct build to rent residential property. The property management will be handled in partnership with CB Richard Ellis, a well known international property consultancy firm who are currently very active in similar projects in the UK as well as the US.

Already one venture in the UK is under scrutiny by the partners. The plan is to build 100 units in residential blocks, which will be situated in a yet to be named town in the south-east England. All that is known is the units will be situated near the large transport centers in an area where property prices are particularly high.

I'd prefer they just make mass debtor prisons and let the rest of us get on with life.

I said it once, i say it again.........we WILL be building blocks of flats again!

Mike

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 'blocks of flats' - by which I assume you mean 'high rise' in that there are more than 3 floors?

The caveat is that they should be built along the high quality line sthat are to be found in Europe and elsewhere. I have lived abroad in a few countries and in 'blocks of flats'. It brought tears to my eyes to see just how spacious, solidly built and carefully thought out many of them were.

It's only here in the UK that, rightly in my opinion, the term 'block of flats; immediately has connotations of poor quality low income housing. It doesnt have to be this way.

It's only here in the UK that, rightly in my opinion, the term 'block of flats; immediately has connotations of poor quality low income housing. It doesnt have to be this way.

Its not the buildings, its the scrubbers that live in them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 'blocks of flats' - by which I assume you mean 'high rise' in that there are more than 3 floors?

The caveat is that they should be built along the high quality line sthat are to be found in Europe and elsewhere. I have lived abroad in a few countries and in 'blocks of flats'. It brought tears to my eyes to see just how spacious, solidly built and carefully thought out many of them were.

Yep, my 9th-floor apartment in Nurnberg was very nice indeed. I understand the 'merkins build them nicely too in their cities (come to think of it, the Ritz Carlton in Boston wasn't too bad, on a substantially higher floor than in Nurnberg). I also have very good memories of a flat in Sweden, but then having moved out at age 10 my critical faculties may have been rather less developed at the time.

Perhaps we just need to build the big estates, but bar any UK builder or architect from leading the projects? Get our continental cousins in - whichever continent - to design and manage them. Or if we let Brits in, they should require overseas education and experience.

System-built houses have been tried here before - from post-war prefabs to Airey council houses and, of course, mobile homes (sorry, park homes!). There were some Swedish system-built houses made from vertical boarding that were used as council houses in the 1950's here too, and I was told they were very good quality.

We have system-building to some extent here, with ranges of standard bits like roof trusses, doors and windows, but I reckon the big developers are wedded to 'bricks and mortar'** and are a powerful enough lobby to ensure that other methids will be squashed if they dare to step beyond their small niche markets.

**bricks, mortar and cardboard :lol:

Edited by blankster

If this takes off, it's pretty high order bear food, especially if they're priced to achieve high occupancy quickly. I seriously wouldn't want to be a leveraged BLTer competing with Aviva and friends.